LegacyGT.com

This year's snow tire thread

Langosta39

Ordered the Dunlop M3s today (205/50/VR17).

I went with Tirerack with direct delivery to the local shop. $22 a wheel for swap onto the OE rims and balancing. The tires end up being $497 after the rebate.

516.00 4 @ 129

31.40 shipping

(50.00) the elusive rebate

The shop says they usually see the tires the next day. The posts on Tirerack were very positive about the shop and the phone conversion for the mounting costs was straight forward. (Performance Automotive in Malvern). Sounded like they've modded a few Subarus lately too. For anyone in the Philly area, I'll post a note on how it goes.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ovcoursit... There must be other Nokian dealers in Greater Montreal. Have you tried searching?: http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/dealer_output.cfm?location=Quebec Looks like 27 pages of dealers. You should still be able to find these someplace closeby.

Yes, as a matter of fact, that link is where I found my Nokian dealer last year. Of the 27 pages, only a few dealers are near me. But I haven't given up. I want my RSi's!

I don't get this, no matter what forum board I'm on, whether it be EVO, Focus, Subbie's everyone that wants Nokians seem to run into this every year of having a tough time finding a dealer or when they do, they are usually out of stock in the sizes they need. I've seen this going on for the last 3 years, you'd think Nokian would get wise to increase their business, it could even be considered customer service by making it easier for customers to get what they want.

This has been the main reason I've stayed away from Nokian tires. I understand they may be great winter tires, and trust me great tires are a priority for me, but I'm not jumping through hoops to be a customer, I think they should be jumping through hoops to make us a customer.

I don't get this, no matter what forum board I'm on, whether it be EVO, Focus, Subbie's everyone that wants Nokians seem to run into this every year of having a tough time finding a dealer or when they do, they are usually out of stock in the sizes they need. I've seen this going on for the last 3 years, you'd think Nokian would get wise to increase their business, it could even be considered customer service by making it easier for customers to get what they want.

This has been the main reason I've stayed away from Nokian tires. I understand they may be great winter tires, and trust me great tires are a priority for me, but I'm not jumping through hoops to be a customer, I think they should be jumping through hoops to make us a customer.

Amen to that!

Yes, as a matter of fact, that link is where I found my Nokian dealer last year. Of the 27 pages, only a few dealers are near me. But I haven't given up. I want my RSi's!

Good. That's where I searched for mine in Ohio also. If you're willing to drive a little, say 125 mile/200 km radius (Ottawa, Sherbrooke, Trois-Rivieres, upstate NY or VT, etc.), you should be able to still find them this early in the season. I just can't believe there aren't 4 RSIs with your name on them somewhere in the Greater Montreal area. :)

It seems they have really terrible dealers. They list a bunch in Seattle area but none stocks the tires (they need to be specially ordered) and they charge outrageous prices. However, Waukegan Tires is willing to sell them at reasonable prices (competitive with Dunlop M3s and other quality winter tires). So you can order from them and have them shipped directly to your local installer which is what I did.

RFD425-

What dealer are you going thru for the Nokians? I haven't found one around

here (Mpls) that seems to know or carry anything.

search on here or in members classifieds for nokian group buy... there is a thread with a vendor who is giving us a damn good deal on the nokian tires..

So in the end, my trusty Nokian dealer ended up to be full of it; when he quoted me on 215/45-17s, he was actually talking about 225/45-17s. A few calls to other Nokian dealers within an hour of me confirmed that. Most recommended the 225/45-17 over 205/50-17 and the price is almost identical. The closest dealer had both in stock and I went with the 225s

...This has been the main reason I've stayed away from Nokian tires. I understand they may be great winter tires, and trust me great tires are a priority for me, but I'm not jumping through hoops to be a customer, I think they should be jumping through hoops to make us a customer.

I agree with you totally. I believe that in our society the consumer retail business has generally lost all concept of customer service. But Nokian is a small company with limited production capacity. I have been driving cars with snow tires in Quebec winters for over 40 years and the Nokian RSi's I purchased for my Civic last year were by far the best snow tires I've ever owned. I could try another make but why? I'm willing to put up with limited availablility in order to stick with the snow performance I know.

why dont people bother to use the search feature?

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20044&highlight=nokian

last i checked they had 90 or so WR's in stock...

I've been following the snow tire threads on this forum and on others. My experience is that it doesn't make sense for us to import tires into Canada, by the time we pay the brokerage fees (usually a percentage of cost) shipping and the exchange, arrange to go to the UPS or Purolator depot to pick them up, arrange to have them installed, etc. And no guarantee across the border. There's a group buy of sorts in Vancouver, but the shipping and pick up hassles are the same.

Factor all that in and the last three sets of tires I've purchased locally; Yoko's, Falkens and Nokians, came to about the same price as the discount houses once installed and balanced, but in one 45 minute stop.

So in the end, my trusty Nokian dealer ended up to be full of it; when he quoted me on 215/45-17s, he was actually talking about 225/45-17s. A few calls to other Nokian dealers within an hour of me confirmed that. Most recommended the 225/45-17 over 205/50-17 and the price is almost identical. The closest dealer had both in stock and I went with the 225s

I really don't understand that recommendation. My understanding with snow tires has always been that you should go narrower than stock, not wider. I'd like to know on what basis they recommended the 225's. Probably, it's what they wanted to sell you.

If you haven't driven on them yet, you might consider doing your own research on this, and if you find the narrower tires to be what you want, ask the dealer to exchange them.

Note to my Canadian brothers...I have norrowed it down to the Donlop m3's and the Nokian RSi and was just wandering what was the price range I should be looking at for these puppies...hope to be making calls on Monday and just wanted a basis to negotiate with...I appreciate any help...

Thanks man!

I really don't understand that recommendation. My understanding with snow tires has always been that you should go narrower than stock, not wider. I'd like to know on what basis they recommended the 225's. Probably, it's what they wanted to sell you.

If you haven't driven on them yet, you might consider doing your own research on this, and if you find the narrower tires to be what you want, ask the dealer to exchange them.

One size narrower than stock still is the recommendation for snow tires but it is only a recommendation. The logic is that (1) the smaller patch of the narrower tire will provide more load per surface area which will help on ice and (2) that the narrower tread will cut through snow to the road surface and also prevent toboganing over the surface of the snow.

The 225/45-17's are slightly closer to the 215/45-17's rolling radius than the 205's. I have also read that the RSi's have a somewhat softer sidewall than the WR's and that a lower profile might help handling on dry and wet pavement. I choose to drive on real snow tires and not all seasons so that when the conditions get snowy I will have the best traction I can get. But the reality is that even here in Montreal, we spend most of our time driving on dry or damp pavement. Last year I drove +1 RSi's on my Civic and found them to be excellent in snow and on dry or wet.

With all that in mind, I and not the salesman chose the 225/45's. I've driven them for two days now on dry and wet pavement and I'm happy. As with any new snow tires on a new car, I'll have to wait and see how they perform in the snow, but I'm confident I've made the right decision.

With all that in mind, I and not the salesman chose the 225/45's. I've driven them for two days now on dry and wet pavement and I'm happy. As with any new snow tires on a new car, I'll have to wait and see how they perform in the snow, but I'm confident I've made the right decision.

Congrats on finally getting some winter rubber. Since you opted for 225s, it will be interesting to see how they behave on a variety of roads and under various conditions. How do they feel compared to the RE92s?

One size narrower than stock still is the recommendation for snow tires but it is only a recommendation. The logic is that (1) the smaller patch of the narrower tire will provide more load per surface area which will help on ice and (2) that the narrower tread will cut through snow to the road surface and also prevent toboganing over the surface of the snow.

The 225/45-17's are slightly closer to the 215/45-17's rolling radius than the 205's. I have also read that the RSi's have a somewhat softer sidewall than the WR's and that a lower profile might help handling on dry and wet pavement.

Well, you've certainly made a valid choice, but I'm not convinced of your logic. The sidewall height of the stock tires is (215 x .45=)96.75mm; for the two winter tire choices, it is (205 x .50=)102.5 and (225 x .45=)101.25. Therefore, the difference in rolling radius between the 205's and the 225's is negligible.

Also, by the same logic, the 225's do not have a "lower profile" (other than that 1.25mm difference). They are basically the same profile; it's just that the aspect ratio number is smaller because it is calculated in relation to greater width.

Congrats on finally getting some winter rubber. Since you opted for 225s, it will be interesting to see how they behave on a variety of roads and under various conditions. How do they feel compared to the RE92s?

Well let's not forget that they're snow tires; they're a little noisier, especially under mild braking like at stop signs. Surprisingly, they actually seem more responsive than the RE92's and ride just as smoothly.

i just put on some 215/45/17 Pirelli Snowsport 240's... i can say that in the wet and dry, they feel much more stable than the stock RE92's although you do sacrifice some noise and ride quality. Can't wait to really test these out when the snow starts falling.

Just traded in my stockers for the Michelin Pilot Alpine, based on a friends recommendation.

I only had 3700 miles on them and they gave me $40 a piece for them... and I say good riddance!!

I opted for 225/45/17s, even though I know that narrower is better in snow. However, for the majority of our winter it is dry pavement here... and they gave me a hell of a deal too... couldn't pass it up. The 225s look better on the stock rim, too, IMHO.

So far I only have good things to say about them. Although a little noiser (not much), they hold better, feel more predictable, and don't squeal like a pig when I push them hard in a corner!!!

They do seem to grab the groves in the concrete section of the highway a little more than the stockers, but that's a small price to pay. I feel much safer overall with these tires. Can't wait to give them a try in a decent snow.

Archived