LegacyGT.com

This year's snow tire thread

Langosta39

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody run the Nokian Hakki 2's? How about the Nokian 4's? I'm not sure if the latter is available in the US but either one looks like a killer tire and seems very highly rated in the northern countries of Europe.

So I am going into my second winter with my OBXT. I bought the car and literally the next day I replaced the RE92s with studded Haka 2s. (I have also driven M2s and Haka 1s in snow).

The 2s rock. They handle snow and ice well. If you try to overdrive them they do not take offense and hang on. Dry handling is fine. They ae not scary in dry braking at interstate speeds or turns. Slush? Wet? The tires still track fine. This is a much better tire then the 1.

I pulled the tires out tonight to put on the car. They have ~5-6k miles on them. The tread has huge amounts of wear left. The studs are showing some wear.

If you find the 4s let us know.

I'll probably get Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2's for my car. I had Hakk 1's on my A4 for years, and I thought they were great, especially in deep snow. They also behaved pretty well in the dry, and lasted four seasons (five, actually, but that was probably one too many realistically). My wife has had Hakk Q's for her civic for several years, and they do the job, but don't seem to generally handle as well as the Hakk 1's, although the Q's might have better ice grip.

The Hakk 2's appear to combine the best of the 1 and the Q. They have the knobby tread pattern of the Hakk 1, but with more siping as in the Hakk Q, which should improve the ice grip. The only possible negatives I can see are that because of the extra siping, the 2's might wear out a little quicker than the 1's, and they might also be slightly squirmier in the dry.

Tire Rack just recommended Blizzak LM 25 (new tire) over the M3. Anybody have any thoughts about that?

LM25 are too new to know for sure. I found it helpful to look at the user reviews and filter them specifically for Subaru. This way I look at the tire performance on the same make I drive which helps. Look at the reviews of LM22 (an older version of LM25) and M3 for comparison. In user surveys M3 is #1, beating out LM22. Plus, they now have a $50.00 rebate.

I think either one would be a good choice.

Hankook IceBear W300, 225-55-17 with a V rating, and load rating of 101. $444 shipped from Discount Tire. Excellent side wall strength, minimal roll, handled way better than the RE92's on dry pavement. I like them better than the WS-50, Graspics, and W2's...and I have had them all in the same tire size on other cars.

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album73/IMG_1583.jpg

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album73/IMG_1578.jpg

Tell me more about the Hankooks -- I like the price a lot, but have heard nothing about them. Looks like they have lots of siping but not a very aggressive tread pattern. How do they work in the snow and on ice? Can you compare to any other snow tires?

TIA!

Tell me more about the Hankooks -- I like the price a lot, but have heard nothing about them. Looks like they have lots of siping but not a very aggressive tread pattern. How do they work in the snow and on ice? Can you compare to any other snow tires?

TIA!

I personally can not speak to their snow and ice handling ability, it was nearly 70 degrees today, and earlier in the week, the 10 inches of snow was 45 miles south of me, and all I got in my neck of the woods was the rain.

I personally chose this tire as basically an UHPAS, Ultra High Performance All Season....but with the advantage of snow and ice traction. The tread is not all that aggressive, but looks of aggressive tread is not always all that it is cracked up to be. This tire is V rated, the roads here in Colorado are mostly dry and warm in the winter...the snow dumps, then melts in a day or 2. I wanted a stiff side wall so not to wallow like other tires I have had, same size. This is the largest load rating in the size I needed, so if I do load up the car with stuff, I feel more secure with the tire. Then the overall side wall strength...provides better handling in corners and on the highway at speed. I have had a chance to push these tires in the last week, over 400 miles on them already, and they feel great, are quiet, AWESOME in the rain, deep rain and puddles at highway speed.

The intnetion of this tire is form areas like Colorado, cold, snow, and dry roads for the majority of the season. If I were in Alaska, or lived in the Mountains of Colorado where there is a ton more snow...then I might re-think my decision. This tire was designed for the european market, for european drivers that wanted more overall performance out of a winter tire, dry, wet, and frozen.

give me a couple weeks more, it will snow soon in town, and I will fill you in, but as for the wet and dry performance of this tire, it is the most impressed I have been in a winter tire....

Although I am not sure why they advertise it like this, as it is not in the list of the eligible tires.

Sorry, I just believed what I saw but digged no further :-).

You may try to press TireRack in giving you the discount because of the false advertising :-).

It might actually work... the rebate says "All other SP Sport tires", and the M3 is the "Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3". Sounds like it's worth a shot, at least.

Unfortunately for us, we bought her M3's a couple weeks ago. That's what we get for being proactive, eh? :)

Dunlop M3 versus Nokian WR

One is a performance winter tire

The other a winter all-season tire

Thinking the WR will do a bit better in the dry, but a little worse in the snow. That true? Worth the price difference?

-B

In the driving I have done with these tires, the Nokian is better in both. Period. You get what you pay for...
:spin:

No one has mentioned the Consumer Reports winter tire comparison.

None of the tires in the graphic is bad but the results did suprise me.

i find it funny that a finnish magazine did a similar set of tests and booted out the blizzaks because they were unsafe to drive on...

Wow, CR is still doing some serious drugs. Nokian 10th out of 12 with only average snow traction??? I don't think so... :lol:

The RSI's replaced the Hakka 2's, yet don't score nearly as well even though Nokian claims they are an improvement.

Since CR recommends Ole Milwaukee as the best beer, it's safe to assume their reality might be different than many of ours. ;)

IF i get snows I will prolly go with the Hankooks or Dunlop M3's...Or I might just deal with the RE92's for one winter and get an exhaust :D

As for Consumer Reports...Check out their car reviews...

They criticize a Hummer for being a gas guzzler and big. A Miata for being noisy inside and having a tiny trunk...a 911 Turbo for being expensive and riding too stiffly...Are they kidding with this worthless crap?:confused:

I mean if you are looking at buying a Hummer, hopefully you already realize that it is BIG and sucks GAS...:lol:

Thanks for taking the trouble to post their take on tires, but honestly I don't give their reviews a lot of weight when it comes time to make a real world decision.

Sorry for the rant- hehe

Archived