LegacyGT.com

Invidia DP, catted or non catted?

I'm posting a third new topic because the exhaust forum doesn't get any attention amd this seemed like a good place.

I like the Invidia divorced downpipe. Should I go catted or non catted? Any info on fitment of either? Any advantage of one over the other?

I've been reading the high flow cat is better fitting and performing for my application.

The car is an 06 Legacy GT with the 5EAT.

Catted is the way to go. I've run both setups and that's what I'd go with. The performance gains from catless are negligible, the smell from catless isn't. You end up smelling like exhaust when you drive your car and opening the windows makes it worse. Some have had luck blocking the vents in the trunk to reduce the smell.

So... catted

I'm running catless and would like to switch to catted. Does anyone know if there is much of a sound difference? Would the catted be any quieter?

I actually quite like the smell, but wouldn't mind if my car was slightly quieter.

I have both, the only difference is notice is the exhausts on the wagon turn black on the inside.

In 5 years I have not noticed any smell other then the exhaust smell sometimes when I back into a parking spot. But that's what my 1970 340 Duster and 1970 GTO smelled like all the time. I don't have any smell when driving with the windows down.

I find that smell better then the stinky sulfur smell from the cat.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have both a catted DP (perrin) on my spec.b, and a catless DP on my wrx. the smell is very faint on the wrx, and only occasionally noticeable even with the windows down. I've had it that way for 7 years. technically the catless will make more power, but not by a whole lot. I dont smell anything on the spec.b's catted setup.

emissions; most states only check for a check engine light to pass smog, but if you are in one of the tougher states that visually inspect, I can see the advantage of staying catted to avoid any trouble.

Personally, if I had to buy another DP today I would go catless - cheaper, nothing in the pipe that will ever go bad, and the smell doesn't bother me. plus AZ doesn't do visual inspection.

Some people speculate that a catted down pipe will help to alleviate boost creep but I don't have the expertise to make an accurate conclusion for that scenario. Personally, I own the catted version of the invidia because it was the only 5EAT pipe available when I needed one last summer. I would have bought a catless version simply to save $ and for no other reason. Being an owner of the catted invidia, I can attest that you will not give up ANY power. My stage 2 tune is well within the respected range. With a stock catback the difference in sound will also be negligible. If you put an aftermarket catback on, it will be loud no matter what. If you have ever ridin in a muscle car, then you know what uncatalyzed fuel smells like. Its no big deal. Its all up to you. Don't over think it, pick one, install it, and enjoy it!

In addition to the smell, catless DPs can also leave an exhaust residue on the rear bumper over time that needs to be cleaned off (or so I hear).

Catted, definitely. No smell, no performance lost, better for the air. It costs more, but you don't want to smell like a lawnmower every time you get out of your car.

I have one lined up and I'll be buying the catted one.

Thanks to everyone with their comments.

Are there any fitment or long term issues? I figure no, but wanted to ask anyways.

• I Donated Too

Only possible long term issue is to the cv boot. Once you remove the stock downpipe you will expose the aging rubber of the cv boot to a blast of heat it hasn't seen before and the random countdown clock to boot failure will speed up... It was going anyway just slowly.

You can wrap the downpipe before you install it and you may even consider taking it to an exhaust shop and having them weld in an o2 bung and cap it so you have a place to put a wideband later. Wrap is worth doing as it will also raise the temp of the catalytic converter which will only improve its efficiency.

Catless does make soot. True true but my bumpers aren't bad but the tips look pretty unkept

Archived