LegacyGT.com

LGT Owners, what car will you drive next?

A few years ago, before I got my Legacy, I drove an IS-F on Sears Point Raceway (call it Infineon, Sonoma, whatever) for a few laps. And then sat in the passenger's seat with a professional driver at the helm. It was an incredibly sublime, powerful and capable car in stock form. And dat V8 sound....heavenly. If you can get one, I say go for it, you'll love it!!!

I cross shopped the s4 with the lgt, but finding a good s4 was waaayyyy harder.

Harder than finding a 5th Gen GT :confused: or ordering a new LGT when they were available vs. buying a used S4.

Edited by dgoodhue

But then you still have a mediocre used car with reliability issues...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'll wait 3 years.

Infiniti q50/60 red sport 400. Twin turbo V6 that puts nearly 400 at the wheels (17% loss at 375 whp gets me 450bhp) WITHOUT the DAS. Should be low 30s.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Edited by Golferdude1087

On the topic of Audi S4's and fast wagons, I saw an very nice looking S4 wagon on the highway this morning zipping along at about 90 mph. It was this style/model year here:

http://1-photos.ebizautos.com/used-2001-audi-s4-5drwgnavantquattroawdman-7437-6009297-1-640.jpg

I'm not too familiar with the lineage of Audi's, so I looked it up, and that model ran from 1997-2002! :eek::eek: That blew me away, because I don't think of this car as old whatsoever when I lay my eyes on it, but it's at almost 20 years old at this point! Crazy to think about, and makes me mourn the loss of quick wagons ever harder. :(

Finding a V8 s4 that doesnt have these issues

https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-v8-audi-s4-is-an-awful-used-car-1676466510/amp

One my good friend 05 S4 engine just had a major failure last week at ~115k miles. The motor has to come out and he is seriously thinking about parting it out. It is too bad, they are nice cars.

On the topic of Audi S4's and fast wagons, I saw an very nice looking S4 wagon on the highway this morning zipping along at about 90 mph. It was this style/model year here:

http://1-photos.ebizautos.com/used-2001-audi-s4-5drwgnavantquattroawdman-7437-6009297-1-640.jpg

I'm not too familiar with the lineage of Audi's, so I looked it up, and that model ran from 1997-2002! :eek::eek: That blew me away, because I don't think of this car as old whatsoever when I lay my eyes on it, but it's at almost 20 years old at this point! Crazy to think about, and makes me mourn the loss of quick wagons ever harder. :(

Those are hilarious maintenance-wise too. It's a twin-turbo v6, but the turbos are mounted mid-height against the firewall. If you have a turbo issue, step 1 is 'drop engine'. I'm not kidding.

Hell, the 'service position' on these B5 and similar generation Audis involves removing the entire front bumper.

First car I paid cash for was a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T and I've been involved with the MN Audi club since 2007, I'm fairly familiar with the issues these things face.

I could suck start a snow blower.

I'll wait 3 years.

Infiniti q50/60 red sport 400. Twin turbo V6 that puts nearly 400 at the wheels (17% loss at 375 whp gets me 450bhp) WITHOUT the DAS. Should be low 30s.

I think I would trust a Cadillac over an infiniti...not by much. But nissan leaves a lot to be desired in that aspect.

Well maybe not I will call it a draw, from what's been mentioned the Lexus is most appealing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

without looking at the article, 12k is pretty standard for a 'stage 3' S4. K04 turbos, supporting mods, exhaust, etc. usually a clutch, some other stuff, and probably around 350 wheel.
I could suck start a snow blower.

...Hell, the 'service position' on these B5 and similar generation Audis involves removing the entire front bumper....

I used to joke about the disassembly required to do a timing belt service on the B5 A4 and Passat...then I got my fifth gen LGT and discovered the stupidity required for us to change a headlight bulb.

I used to joke about the disassembly required to do a timing belt service on the B5 A4 and Passat...then I got my fifth gen LGT and discovered the stupidity required for us to change a headlight bulb.

the bright thing is the engine shouldn't blow up if the headlight goes out...

'11-'14 Lexus IS F is looking good. Decent mileage cars going for mid-low 30s with '14 models going for high 30s. I've committed mentally and financially to owning one in about 3 years. Not to mention that all I'd want is a muffler delete, lip, and diffuser.

What do you consider "decent" mileage? And where are you finding '14s for high 30s :confused::confused::confused:

What do you consider "decent" mileage? And where are you finding '14s for high 30s :confused::confused::confused:

For a Lexus, I'd say anything under 40k miles for a '14 is decent. Add 15k per year sooner (figure I'd do a '10 with 100k on the clock). Honestly I'm finding everything on autotrader, cargurus, etc. Granted I'm only looking at mileage vs price, so I can't say much else about the condition, but mid 30s seems to be the sweet spot. Plus it's not like they'll get more expensive in 2-3 years. Time is working in my favor.

For a Lexus, I'd say anything under 40k miles for a '14 is decent. Add 15k per year sooner (figure I'd do a '10 with 100k on the clock). Honestly I'm finding everything on autotrader, cargurus, etc. Granted I'm only looking at mileage vs price, so I can't say much else about the condition, but mid 30s seems to be the sweet spot. Plus it's not like they'll get more expensive in 2-3 years. Time is working in my favor.

We must be living in parallel universes :lol:. Or maybe IS-F sales are very seasonal, and this is the low season. I just tried autotrader nationwide, under 60k miles. There were 3 '11s and 3 '12s under $40k - and by "under $40k", I mean that only one was less than $36k. 3 in the mid 40s for mileage, 3 in the 50s. The cheapest '14 was $49.9k.

I hear the rear legroom is worse than regular 350 IS models, and that's already pretty tight, so maybe I wouldn't want it anyway, but if you can point me to a '14 model with 30-40k miles in the mid 30s, please let me know.

Rear wheel drive based AWD systems are junk in snow. As soon as you have wheel slip the traction control cuts throttle since that's the only option.

The you sit there dead in the road like that time at the go-kart track when the guy disabled your kart for ramming into too many people.

A center diff or FWD based AWD system will run circles round RWD based AWD in the snow/on-ice.

I've owned all three. The Infiniti systems are terrible in that regard. Anyone know what Lexus IS/GS does? Do they have a transfer case with part time front like the G35/37X ?

Edited by brandon.mol