LegacyGT.com

Is this a Cobb or invidia uppipe?

At the worst, you payed $60 for a $60 ebay pipe. At Best You payed $60 for a Cobb Pipe. Install it and don't sweat it! At the end of the day, its just metal tubing, and its only in few rare cases where there welds have cracked but that happens even on the best products like Cobb or Perrin. Sure, there are different grades of stainless steel but are you planning on keeping the car until its "vintage?" At Least the Previous owner took the time to put a coating on it that seems to be holding up better than the uncoated studs(Looks like primer, maybe you could add your own splash of high temp engine enamel color).

FWIW, I bolt the turbo to the up pipe.

Makes it much easier to line up the "new oil return hose", turbo inlet and up pipe at the same time.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4782.jpg

The bolts are the same ones that bolt the up pipe bracket to the block.

Use anti sieze compound on all threads and inspect the welds for cracks.

Here's my Invidia up pipe,

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4752.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not Invidia for sure, Invidia's bell mouth on the header side (making the entrance be bigger to have less restriction).

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Engine/Exhaust/Uppipe/CIMG9684.jpg~original

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Not Invidia for sure, Invidia's bell mouth on the header side (making the entrance be bigger to have less restriction).

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Engine/Exhaust/Uppipe/CIMG9684.jpg~original

Yeah...a stupid design at the very best. Turbos are about velocity of the exhaust gasses, not flow. Bigger pre-turbo exhaust of any kind on basic stock OE Subaru engines that are only sporting bolt ons, is NOT a good idea.

It falls directly into the area of porting. Porting turbos is something that everyone seems to think is a great idea and unless you have a huge volume behind the porting, it can significantly change your spool and basically make you think your turbo is going bad. How many posts to you see about "I had my turbo ported and WOW is it great now"...? None I can recall.

I learned many years ago, if you want to make a very fast 2 stroke engine go significantly slower, port it. Same goes for the exhaust systems on turbo Subarus and that includes the exhaust housing. The step from the up pipe to the turbo exhaust housing is there for a reason. It packs the exhaust housing full of gasses which makes it always on tap when you push the accelerator past the spool rpm. The backup of gasses keeps it in spool sooner and stronger. When the source is 1/2" in diameter larger than the housing is capable of, it forces the turbine to react quicker, hence quicker spool.

Again, there is a place for porting and that's on huge HP engines that have much work done to heads, big cams, higher compression pistons, and using specific fuels and injection systems. Once you're there, then you need to have that aspect ratio of the volume availability because it generates enough to do the same back up with the porting and larger pipes that the stock system does now.

Here's a way to experiment if you are game to give it a try. Buy the Perrin BIG up pipe and put it on your car. Post here how your spool is and how much it changed with that pipe on the car. You'll be scrambling to put a normal pipe back on.

Yeah...a stupid design at the very best. Turbos are about velocity of the exhaust gasses, not flow. Bigger pre-turbo exhaust of any kind on basic stock OE Subaru engines that are only sporting bolt ons, is NOT a good idea.

It falls directly into the area of porting. Porting turbos is something that everyone seems to think is a great idea and unless you have a huge volume behind the porting, it can significantly change your spool and basically make you think your turbo is going bad. How many posts to you see about "I had my turbo ported and WOW is it great now"...? None I can recall.

I learned many years ago, if you want to make a very fast 2 stroke engine go significantly slower, port it. Same goes for the exhaust systems on turbo Subarus and that includes the exhaust housing. The step from the up pipe to the turbo exhaust housing is there for a reason. It packs the exhaust housing full of gasses which makes it always on tap when you push the accelerator past the spool rpm. The backup of gasses keeps it in spool sooner and stronger. When the source is 1/2" in diameter larger than the housing is capable of, it forces the turbine to react quicker, hence quicker spool.

Again, there is a place for porting and that's on huge HP engines that have much work done to heads, big cams, higher compression pistons, and using specific fuels and injection systems. Once you're there, then you need to have that aspect ratio of the volume availability because it generates enough to do the same back up with the porting and larger pipes that the stock system does now.

Here's a way to experiment if you are game to give it a try. Buy the Perrin BIG up pipe and put it on your car. Post here how your spool is and how much it changed with that pipe on the car. You'll be scrambling to put a normal pipe back on.

Agreed but to a point, I agree that using a bigger pipe or porting the turbo causes it to contain more volume thus causes lag, but it should help the top end (this is why I went with 8cm housing overs 7cm).

I personally don't mind a little lag for more efficiency, the backup of gasses causes reversion and detonation and starts hindering the top end pretty majorly.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Engine/Exhaust/Uppipe/CIMG9675.jpg~original

After installing that up pipe my spool characteristics stayed the same, now that could be because the stock catted up pipe has a lot of volume in it too. Thus for me going from stock to Invidia had only positives (same spool time, power gains, no broken cats)

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Engine/Exhaust/Uppipe/LGTStockvsInvidiaUppipe.jpg~original

When porting manifolds and turbos I usually gasket match in the direction of the exhaust flow basically step downs instead of step ups like most oem cars have, this doesn't increase the volume enough to cause lag but it does have an anti-reversion effect.

22 Ascent STOCK

my tuner said he can sees about 5-10 wheel HP only changing out a stock un-catted pipe for an aftermarket up-pipe, FWIW (he is a cobb gold tuner, so I trust his word). I havent done this yet on my 08 spec b, but it is worth noting if you are considering replacing a catted up with a subaru pipe VS. an aftermarket pipe.

my tuner said he can sees about 5-10 wheel HP only changing out a stock un-catted pipe for an aftermarket up-pipe, FWIW (he is a cobb gold tuner, so I trust his word). I havent done this yet on my 08 spec b, but it is worth noting if you are considering replacing a catted up with a subaru pipe VS. an aftermarket pipe.

Are there any threads proving this? I haven't considered changing out the factory uppipe in my 07 beings it is catless already, but I'm sure I could easily sell it and get a discount on the aftermarket pipe if I'll see a gain from it!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Are there any threads proving this? I haven't considered changing out the factory uppipe in my 07 beings it is catless already, but I'm sure I could easily sell it and get a discount on the aftermarket pipe if I'll see a gain from it!

I do not have any threads for reference, unfortunately (other than the nasioc up pipe faq which mentions this small gain). Prior to last weekend when he mentioned that this info to me, I was under the belief that replacing the factory non-catted pipe was a waste of money/time... I dont have any reason to believe my tuner would make that up - he's not selling the parts to me, only tuning cars for a living, so I believe him.

Still, I wont be changing the up pipe in my 08 for 5-10hp. But if I were changing a catted up pipe for another, I'd lean to an aftermarket piece since I'd be doing the work anyway.

I do not have any threads for reference, unfortunately (other than the nasioc up pipe faq which mentions this small gain). Prior to last weekend when he mentioned that this info to me, I was under the belief that replacing the factory non-catted pipe was a waste of money/time... I dont have any reason to believe my tuner would make that up - he's not selling the parts to me, only tuning cars for a living, so I believe him.

Still, I wont be changing the up pipe in my 08 for 5-10hp. But if I were changing a catted up pipe for another, I'd lean to an aftermarket piece since I'd be doing the work anyway.

Couple years ago GrimmSpeed flow tested a few up pipes and here are the results that they got pretty good gains still. What it translates to in power gains, who knows :lol:

Subaru OEM Cat'd Up Pipe at 28" - 164.7 CFM <--- BOOOO!

Subaru Gutted OEM Up Pipe at 28" - 216.1 CFM

Subaru OEM Catless Up Pipe at 28" - 244.6 CFM

Grimmspeed Up Pipe at 28" - 292.6 CFM

Source Thread

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived