LegacyGT.com

Newb to wheels. What do you guys think of these for my outback?

That's a really wide rim, you're probably going to rub on the struts with it. And with that wide of an offset and rim width it's going to change the scrub radius by quite a bit. (Might not feel fantastic).

If you really want some nice/inexpensive/light wheels, look at RPF1's. Putting cheap heavy wheels on a car is a waste IMO. But, then again, I'm all about function before form. :)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

That's a really wide rim, you're probably going to rub on the struts with it. And with that wide of an offset and rim width it's going to change the scrub radius by quite a bit. (Might not feel fantastic).

If you really want some nice/inexpensive/light wheels, look at RPF1's. Putting cheap heavy wheels on a car is a waste IMO. But, then again, I'm all about function before form. :)

RPF1's are not what I'd call inexpensive. Function is nice, but mostly I'm looking for an aesthetic upgrade. I don't really want to spend more then 800 for some used wheels.

Either shop eBay, or try Next Level Motoring. Do your research though. Most of the bigger online wheel retailers will price match, and throw in free locking lugs, hub centric spacers, etc. NLM has some decent options. XXR, or Avid 1 are nice. Usually $120-$140 per wheel, with free freight. That's not too bad, and still leaves you some room for a decent summer tire. That's the route I'm gonna go next month. I would love to be able to drop $2K on some JDM wheels of some sort, but suspension is where I'm going to do some damage to my wallet.

RPF1's are not what I'd call inexpensive. Function is nice, but mostly I'm looking for an aesthetic upgrade. I don't really want to spend more then 800 for some used wheels.

Do you have a separate budget for tires? If so, 800 for wheels isn't too bad at all. Assuming you're just going for the look on the face, you won't be going for super wide tires and should stick to 18x7 to 18x8.5. 225/50/18 is a similar diameter to our stock tires and is actually pretty cheap.

If you wait around, 800 can get you a set of used "name brand" wheels from enkei, oz, rays, tsw, wedsports, etc.

Heck, I got my set of 18x7.5 volk ce28n's for under that.

Speaking of offset, what's ideal? Let's assume a roughly 18x8 wheel.

Outback stock is +48, not sure about Legacy. On an Outback, +28 - +35 with the right tire, will give a perfect flush look. Anything lower than +28 is getting pretty aggressive, but if you can adjust camber, you can get away with a lot.

I myself love +35, looks amazing and you can still fit a nice tire. (Rolling pay be needed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead; Spring is here and I need a new set of wheels/tires to replace the OEM wheels with Winter rubber.

Considering the Avid.1 AV-06 17x8 with +35 offset. I've searched high and low for a set of '04 STI wheels, but finding them at a reasonable price is difficult. The Avid's are avail for about $500 for a new set. As I'd be keeping stock wheel size in this scenario, I'd outfit them with 225/55-17 rubber.

I'd certainly like a set of 18.8.25 with +35 XXR's, but I don't want to have to do any trimming/cutting/rolling (this is, after all, my wife's car).

Always open to suggestions as well.

I'm convinced that each car is unique. My stock wheels (17x7 +48) with stock 225 55 17 rub on the driver side. I'm lowered on Legacy GT suspension though. I know some people that have this setup in their Outback, and don't rub at all. My new setup is going be 18x8.5 +33 Avid 1 av20 's , with 245 45 18's. I'm assuming I'll have to do some fender work, as I'm going slightly lower, but the fitment should be perfect. Not too aggressive.

I'm convinced that each car is unique. My stock wheels (17x7 +48) with stock 225 55 17 rub on the driver side. I'm lowered on Legacy GT suspension though. I know some people that have this setup in their Outback, and don't rub at all. My new setup is going be 18x8.5 +33 Avid 1 av20 's , with 245 45 18's. I'm assuming I'll have to do some fender work, as I'm going slightly lower, but the fitment should be perfect. Not too aggressive.

This isn't super encouraging. However, my car is presently at stock ride height, so it would appear that combined with a wheel that is one half inch slimmer, it shouldn't be an issue.

Would I love to lower the car? Sure. Will I ever? Maybe.

I'm thinking that my current idea should be just fine. Why can't '04 STI wheels be cheaper and more readily available, damn it?

What's your alignment? I think my car is similar to yours. On hard bumps I am rubbing a little on the drivers side and I have .75inch strut spacers.

Gotta be honest, I don't know. My last alignment was done by a shop that ended up being shady (didn't know that until after the fact). Since said alignment, my lower control arm bushings have gone to hell, and she now pulls to the left a tad. The interesting thing, is that the rubbing didn't occur until I replaced the driver side CV axle with an aftermarket one. I'm waiting to do anything alignment wise for a couple weeks. That's when the Koni sport kit will be installed. Also doing new front & rear sways, front lower control arms (the Mevotechs that popped up on here a while back) and Megan rear control arms. I should probably do the LGT rear UCA's as well, but Ive been saving funds for my exhaust project, and waiting for the weather to get better. Oh, and the only spacers I have are 3/4" saggy butts in the rear.

I'm driving myself insane whilst researching wheels; I'm obsessing about offset and suspension mods I'll likely never indulge. That being said, are any of these wheel dimensions necessarily better than the other:

• 17x7.5 +40
  • 17x7.5 +48
  • 18x8.0 +42

If it helps, assume 225/55R17 or 245/45R18 tires (OEM sizing). Also assume OEM ride height, with the ever so slight possibility of LGT suspension setup in the future.

Someone please help save me from myself.

If you are 100% sure about staying at stock height. Anyone of those are good options. The +40 and +42 will probably "look" better, as the wheel will be slightly pushed out.

The 17x7.5+48 will basically look like the stock wheels.

If you lower your car 245/45/18 may require fender work (it will on my car), but for some it doesn't.

18x8 +42, with 245 45 18. Not too wide, or aggressive. Won't require any fender work, at stock height. If those were my choices, that's what I would go with. Just lower the car already. You know you want to. You can't fight it.

This pleases me. True enough, I do know that I want to lower the car, simply finding it difficult to justify the expense for my wife's car. Reckon if I found an LGT setup on the cheap, I'd make it happen

If you are 100% sure about staying at stock height. Anyone of those are good options. The +40 and +42 will probably "look" better, as the wheel will be slightly pushed out.

The 17x7.5+48 will basically look like the stock wheels.

If you lower your car 245/45/18 may require fender work (it will on my car), but for some it doesn't.

That's the thing, I'm not 100% certain the car will remain stock. I suppose it makes me curious as to how challenging the fender work would be. Any insight?

Probably just a roll. FutureFicus is on 18x8.75 et33 245/45/18 on a Legacy suspension and didn't need much. Sperry has 245x45x18 on 18x8 et40 (I think) and was able to fit with a roll.

My front drivers side is rubbing on the stock rims and I think I fixed it by taking a crowbar and pulling out the fender.

This is what I eventually want to do, but for 245/45/18 set-ups at around Legacy height doesn't really seem to be needed.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5337565&postcount=38

Archived