LegacyGT.com

Tehnation's Ballin on a budget rebuild!

I'm sure you've been to Cobb's site and checked/asked there ?  Any sticky at the top of the Tuning Forum here ?

I don't run my cars with the AP plugged in. My Tune is great, if there's an issue the CEL will pop, or I'll feel the car is not right driving it.  Maybe I've been lucky all these years without keeping it plugged in. 

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You should look for 'FKC' (feedback knock correction) or 'FLKC' (fine learned knock correction). At least, that's how the parameters are called in BtSsm or romraider. The former refers to 'on the fly' knock correction, meaning the ECU just heard knock and pulled timing. The latter refers to the ECU having 'learned' to pull a certain amount of timing. You can google these terms for more additional info.

Me, I am the opposite; I have the BtSsm app running at all time on my cars. :spin:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So I had a detour with the passenger exhaust camshaft. The cam journals on the head are tight causing all sorts of issues, i'm on camshaft number 3 atm. Hopefully I can get the motor put together and in the car by the weekend. Its been so damn cold out, I can't work in my garage without my hands starting to freeze..... ordered a little space heater to get the job done as quick as possible. 

My detour thread

• Like 1

Anyone recall the brand and or part number for a replacement throw out bearing that fits the TSK kit? I remember reading someone found that one from a toyota or some car would work and it was like a 20 dollar item. My car has been sitting in the elements, so I wouldn't mind changing the tob so I don't have a a problem later, just don't want to buy an entire kit for one. 

I know sixstarbernie has the TSK bearing: https://sixstarbernie.com/i-23188116-genuine-pdm-tranquil-tsk2-throw-out-bearing-subaru-wrx-forester-impreza-legacy-turbo.html

But I'm not sure about a generic replacement, I want to say I vaguely remember reading a similar post to what you are describing, but I haven't found it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2020 at 11:29 PM, rhino6303 said:
xt2005bonbon said:
Yeah, rebleed again.

You know that TSK3 kit, it's nice but I don't think the bearing is that high quality actually.

I had an issue with my kit, which could have been user error. Essentially, the sleeve came loose on mine and was moving around with the TOB. That was the cause of my weird engagement point which happened all of the sudden.

Anyway, yeah, rebleed and check. If no fix, then not too sure.

In my research I've found references that a throwout bearing from an 86-99 Celica is the same size as the tsk3 bearing. You can get an SKF bearing that should be pretty good quality. SKF N4087 is a part number that should work.

5 hours ago, Tehnation said:

Anyone recall the brand and or part number for a replacement throw out bearing that fits the TSK kit? I remember reading someone found that one from a toyota or some car would work and it was like a 20 dollar item. My car has been sitting in the elements, so I wouldn't mind changing the tob so I don't have a a problem later, just don't want to buy an entire kit for one. 

I quoted my post from your "clutch sticking" thread from 2020.

I've never purchased one but it should work.

• Thanks 1

20221230_053852.thumb.jpg.fde848f730f974c9f64c156398dbb1a8.jpg

So motors put back together and on the hoist ready to go back in. So it was weighing on my mind that when the camshaft snapped something may have happened. So I pulled the coil and spark plug and stuck a rod with electric tape on the end inside to push against the piston when it was tdc to make sure the rod bearings didn't get hurt, I didn't inspect with the oil pan off cause I didn't see anything on windage tray so I just moved on.

Then I figured I should do a leakdown on cylinder 3 as well.... but I already did the timing etc. Which leads to my question, instead of undoing things, how do you know when the valves are supposed to be closed for a cylinder when you want to do a leakdown test? Is it when those 2 double lines on cam gears line up or something else? I was just going to keep spinning the crank until air stopped leaking but if there is another way. 

Note to self, do leak down before timing..... 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm like where is my oil going.... then I see my oil pan is spewing oil out..... I finally decide to use sealant this time and it definitely sprung a leak. omg,  i don't want to pull this fckin motor again, but I can't get the oil pan off without removing my headers and these headers are an absolute pita..... 

aftermarket headers, i have the maperformance 4-1 el version 1 headers. It curves right over that low spot on the oil pan making it impossible to remove the pan without removing the headers, and the inside nuts that bolt the headers are in such an obscure spot so its a task trying to get to the bolt even when the motor is on a stand. 

Or you over torqued the oil pan bolts? I recall the torque for these bolts is really small. Very easy to over torque these. When I rebuilt my engine, I was really skeptical of the torque specs. I still followed them and still no leaks after 45k. I should not say that now though :spin:

Those back screws are so hidden, I don't see how you can get them out without jacking the motor up. I am trying to fix it now, and I raised the motor like an inch already and those bolts are still a pita to get to. Gonna have to use a swivel while blind. 

So I am remembering from a long time ago that following the fsm sealing procedure was bad and you should smear it all around the oil pan including around all the holes..... i followed the stupid fsm and laid the sealant in the spots it showed..... you can see the big spaces around the holes.... gaskets ftw! 

Is there some kind of magic trick to get this sealant off?  God I hate glue....

20230124_115447.thumb.jpg.3374182cf4c3285cb43b7e59e92b1e5c.jpg20230124_115453.thumb.jpg.a15b2a1da0302aa0454f987183637d87.jpg20230124_115523.thumb.jpg.3c2003f4ede03b123d355f992d08509e.jpg