LegacyGT.com

Tehnation's Ballin on a budget rebuild!

Must have been, but I was only torquing them to 14.5 ftlbs and they didn't even get to that. The bolt broke before the torque wrench clicked.

Its an oem gasket.

Those bolts are only torqued to 7.2 ft-lbs. The others are 14.2 ft-lbs.

Got the head off and in a box ready to go to whatever machine shop i find that can do the job. luckily the threads are recessed and not right on top so hopefully they can drill the hole to get all the crap out, then fill it with some aluminum, then tap it.

I was staring at the instructions while I was doing this, complete brain fart...... costly lessons, gotta love em!

Thanks!

time sert is a good option, forgot about that option, i hate helicoils, so I wasn't even thinking about some kind of thread repair, time serts are a really good option!

Someone's calling me back around 4 to talk to me about it. Basically it comes down to pricing if someone can get it done. I can get a used head from the junkyard for like 250-300 bucks, and another 300 probably to rebuild it. So if I can get it done for under 200, then I'm game, otherwise I might as well just get another head.

Been there. Take a step back and breath a min.

For my situation it ended up new head castings.

These castings now have new valves and guides installed after 100K ish.

Reason for my issue was having a machine shop try to do time serts in the plug holes to help mitigate additional cracking from the plug bore to the valve seat. Some said run it others said pitch them. I was out of money and time. Trying this workaround cost me both.

Shop that did the work botched it and didn't do a proper shoulder cut/seat of the insert. Then the owner botched them more trying to machine the shoulder down.

Long story short I made the decisions with the second shop to move my parts over to the new castings. When I should have just gone full build.

But that part is history now I'm trying not to repeat.

dropped it off at a machine shop close by. They said the filling and tapping isn't the issue, its the bits stuck in there, so hopefully by next week it should be fixed. Gonna cost like $150-$200 to fix.

Found a random place via google.... I know i'm in good hands, cause the shop owner rolls up in a clean 05 lgt, great minds think alike, we laughed!

Edited by Tehnation

Good then hopefully they can clean it out. Getting the hard bits out will be a PITA.

Better than 1500 I aped for new castings and 1200 for the motorcycle case I needed to repair.

It's all fun and games till you break some bits and need to get it fixed.

Sorry to hear about the broken bolts. FWIW, you can buy left hand drill bits to help drill out broken bolts, as they are used in the "off" direction.

I guess you have learned to think, about the thread/shank size, then think if the torque value is right. Small bolts don't need much torque.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

He was able to fix it, I pick it up on Monday, they are closed weekends....now i wait! Forgot I got to pick up the new bolts from the stealership, they had to order them.

Total cost is $125. So not a bad price to pay for my mistake lol.

So i get the head back, put it back on, then go to put on the front cam cover again and ...... another bolt breaks off...... And I am sure I was at 7 ft lbs..... just going to walk away this time and wait until tomorrow. It was a different hole this time.

So i get the head back, put it back on, then go to put on the front cam cover again and ...... another bolt breaks off...... And I am sure I was at 7 ft lbs..... just going to walk away this time and wait until tomorrow. It was a different hole this time.
That sucks. I'm starting to question the torque wrench...

I use my small inch pound torque wrench for anything lower than 15 ft-lbs.

thank god i got it out without damaging anything this time. I thought it was the wrench as well, but the other bolts for the front torqued down fine, this one bolt just kept spinning and the wrench wouldn't click, and i kept spinning and then snap. The other bolts easily clicked at 7 ft lbs.... i duno at this point. I went back and chased all the threads in case some crap was in there, and there was. I'm just going to tighten gently with a regular ratchet at this point. Luckily I bought an extra bolt....

those channels on the front cam cover caps next to the cam journals, what is that for? To eat the extra sealant or provide an oil drain???
They are for the avcs gears' oil. I use a toothpick after sealing to make sure the passage is open.

So to get the motor in easier I unbolted the clutch slave cylinder to get the tension of the fork and throwout bearing so I could mate the tranny and engine easier. Anyone know an easy way to get the slave cylinder installed, 1 person? Normally I would just bleed it and be done if I had an extra set of hands but not sure how that works with 1 person.

How do you mean? Installing it by yourself is just a matter of bolting it on in my experience. Unless you mean bleeding, in which case you'll need another pair of hands, or a vacuum bleed setup or an appropriately sized speed bleeder.

For future reference, the slave cylinder will compress (slowly) by hand so you can just push the rod back and out of the way of the fork, or pop the rod out completely since it's a separate piece from the piston.