LegacyGT.com

3.0R in bad condition

Hi,

My engine coolant is very rusted and the engine have 150 000 miles and it is not my first car but I love her very much ;)

The fist thing I done was the oil service but coolant no :p as the engine drink a little ( around 0.5l and 1l these last 8 mounthes ) I said in my mind " the change will be progressively " and as my first car give me a lot of problems since one year I' was not enjoy to give too much money to the Sub ;)

tonight the temp has risen from 9h to 10h/10h30 :( on highway but slowing down immediately the temp come back to 9h as usually but the coolant tank was nearly empty and there was bubbles .

This tank is completly crazy : it is very hard to see anything as it is not straight and not very transparent :mad::mad::mad:

Do you thing its not too late to change the engine coolant ? and is there any other source of overheating except the rust into the coolant system ?

Is it possible to change the water pump or timing belt and its tensionner without moving out the engine ?

Thanks by advance

Drain it all, refill it with some 50\50 of your choice. YOU DO NOT NEED OEM FLUID. Do not let people tell you this. It's a myth :mad:. I have done mine many times and all is well. If you have the extra funds, go ahead and throw a NEW OEM thermostat. It's cheap and easy to do.

Do it soon if its rusty. :eek:

Hi sorry but 50/50 with what ? I will plane to use just classical anti rust coolant.

Just one thing who annoy me : the radiator cap is hard to remove, turning it at 90° is easy but I dont see how to get it out ...

50/50 mix from the auto parts store, with the rust stuff. Also it should turn and you might have to finagle it up to come off. Do not over think it, the drain and refill is easy. Also make sure you burp the system with the cap off so you will get most of the air out of the system. If it over flows a ton that fine, just add more and it will calm down. just give it time.

BTW shut the car off after you see minimal bubbles, add the cap, start back up and drive for 15 mins. If it over heats then you have air, but I never had an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

My engine coolant is very rusted and the engine have 150 000 miles and it is not my first car but I love her very much ;)

The fist thing I done was the oil service but coolant no :p as the engine drink a little ( around 0.5l and 1l these last 8 mounthes ) I said in my mind " the change will be progressively " and as my first car give me a lot of problems since one year I' was not enjoy to give too much money to the Sub ;)

tonight the temp has risen from 9h to 10h/10h30 :( on highway but slowing down immediately the temp come back to 9h as usually but the coolant tank was nearly empty and there was bubbles .

This tank is completly crazy : it is very hard to see anything as it is not straight and not very transparent :mad::mad::mad:

Do you thing its not too late to change the engine coolant ? and is there any other source of overheating except the rust into the coolant system ?

Is it possible to change the water pump or timing belt and its tensionner without moving out the engine ?

Thanks by advance

Why would there be rust in your coolant? Did I miss something, did Subaru make iron block 3.0L H6's?

Do a full coolant flush, probably easier to pay to have this done. Might also be time for new hoses, and a new thermostat. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Just don't put your d**k in crazy. Rule number one. I can't tell you how many times I have had friends complaining to me about baby mama drama because they had a kid with a crazy chick :rolleyes: It's also completely true about a small, slow car. I really like my car but it took getting some used to with it's size. I'd still like a kinda quick, agile, small second car. Like a Miata or a FiST. Captain Slow said it! Get stuck in traffic with a fast car, or have a small car that you can bring to the edge, making turns in a parking lot. I've always thought a supercharged RSX Type S would be a blast.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys I'm back ,

Finally I've got a beginning of head gasket blown but with nearly 150 K I'm not going to cry. With the CO² test the liquid change a little of color but not clearly so there is CO² but nut the engine is not dead :p BUT I've a lot of bubble in the coolant and with hard trafic at very slow speed the engine get too hot

In fact last automn one of the coolant pipe was crannied by a crapy part of the engine block ( they are not very cleaver to add like a radiator blade close to a pipe ... ) so I replace the pipe and change in the same time the thermostat and the bottom radiator pipe.

A little few days next I've made a little ride of 15 mile top and just before parking the engine temp got red and coolant liquide overflow from the tank

I go back to the mecanic ( who was not very enjoy working on a Sub as in my country they are very rare ) then they 've purged one time more but was not good enough; better but not enough

Few days ago I made myself a funnel with an old radiator cap and start a purge : front car a little upper, I let nearly 30min, firstly at IDLE 15 min then 1500/2000 10 min and few times 3000 ; the fans started and stop as expected; no overheating ( indicator needle just below the horizontal with 20°C weather ) BUT even if they are very hot impossible to get the three radiators pipes hard like when I stop the engine after any normal ride :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

mini_78336520170504180821.jpg

Thanks by advance for yours councils

Archived