LegacyGT.com

Upgrading turbo, some questions

My 2005 Outback XT's stock turbo was on it's last legs and started smoking heavily a few weeks ago (right before the big snow storm on the east coast). I replaced the oil line (IP) already, but since I figured my turbo was most likely hosed from the ordeal, and I'd rather not risk killing the engine by being cheap, I picked up a Blouch TD05H-16GXT (7cm w/ billet wheel) for a pretty decent price.

My aim is a daily drivable car, pushing roughly 300WHP after the complete upgrade. My preference is using 93 octane due to the cold weather resistance, but if I need E85 to reach that target, I have it available near me. I know I'm going to need some other stuff as well, but I'm not 100% sure exactly what I'd need. I've been trawling threads all morning, but I'm still not 100% on it.

According to the "What Turbo" thread I might need the following:

Intercooler: Aftermarket or reinforce stock with a bulletproof mod.

Clutch: Already have an upgrade ready to go in.

FP and Injectors: Should I upgrade these, and if so, what is recommended?

BOV/BPV: I have an upgrade already for this part.

Will I need an entire turboback exhaust replacement for more boost? I'm already putting on a Tomei Expreme headers and up pipe kit on it.

Can I bulletproof the stock intercooler, or is this too high of a figure to reach with the bulletproofing kit?

• Moderators

You don't need a full turboback, but you will want to replace your downpipe with an aftermarket option.

If you go with aftermarket fueling you will certainly be getting near the limit of the stock TMIC from what I've seen. You could certainly bulletproof your TMIC and be safe to run whatever boost you want, but you might find the TMIC to ultimately be the bottle neck in the setup.

If stock fueling, I'd say a BP TMIC will suit you fine.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
For the aftermarket Downpipe, Are there any recommendations? Should I go with 3in or 2.5? Is the cat too big of a restriction?

I like Cobb downpipes and Turbo XS downpipes as they locate the cat converter towards the rear of the pipe and away from the engine bay. Cobb will mate up directly to a stock catback exhaust. TXS and other 3" options will require an adapter if you stick with stock catback.

A catted downpipe will not lose you any power compared to a non-catted pipe. Any difference will be negligible.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Final question: with a tune, do you think I'd be able to make my HP goals with the parts I picked out thus far, or would I need to upgrade the stock fueling, or would I be better off returning the turbo and getting something bigger?

Tomei Expreme catless UP/Header combo

Blouch TD05-16GXT

GFB Respons BOV/BPV

Exedy Lightweight single mass flywheel & Exedy WRX Stage 1

Innovate LC-1 Wideband O2 kit

Mishimoto Oil Catch Can

Depending on dyno you will be close but the 16gxt does not have the proper mounting set up so you would need a 380XT to bolt up to our style tmic etc.

The 380XT is closer to a medium 18G output so you would need upgraded fueling.

Hope that helps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Final question: with a tune, do you think I'd be able to make my HP goals with the parts I picked out thus far, or would I need to upgrade the stock fueling, or would I be better off returning the turbo and getting something bigger?

Tomei Expreme catless UP/Header combo

Blouch TD05-16GXT

GFB Respons BOV/BPV

Exedy Lightweight single mass flywheel & Exedy WRX Stage 1

Innovate LC-1 Wideband O2 kit

Mishimoto Oil Catch Can

I'm assuming you just haven't decided on a downpipe yet? Otherwise, that definitely needs to be in there. Grimmspeed is another option (on the pricier but higher quality side) that gives you a catted option with the cat being down towards the mid pip instead of right after the turbo.

Personally, if I'm going up in turbo, I'd go with an aftermarket boost controller like the grimmspeed option.

I'd probably go with a different clutch that is rated for more power than the exedy stage 1. I mean, even the stock clutch has been shown it can sometimes handle 18g levels, but it is nowhere near a sure thing. So if you're going to buy a new clutch and install it, might as well go with something that is made to handle it.

Thank you both.

@cryo

I'll return the turbo and try to get something that fits. Are there any relatively inexpensive 16G or 18G based turbos out there that fit the OBXT/LGT? I'm just concerned that the 440XT or 380XT would be a bit too much boost for my 116k mile engine, and I can't afford to do a rebuild or buy a new shortblock for a little bit.

@Kelvrick

You're correct, I haven't picked a DP out yet. As for the clutch, I happened to have this one on hand, so I was going to try it out. I bought it from Infamous Performance about 6 months ago, and it's been sitting in my garage unused (I put my back out, and I couldn't do any heavy lifting for awhile). Unless the IP guys take pity on me, and let me swap from the stage 1 to something heavier.

Thank you both.

@cryo

I'll return the turbo and try to get something that fits. Are there any relatively inexpensive 16G or 18G based turbos out there that fit the OBXT/LGT? I'm just concerned that the 440XT or 380XT would be a bit too much boost for my 116k mile engine, and I can't afford to do a rebuild or buy a new shortblock for a little bit.

@Kelvrick

You're correct, I haven't picked a DP out yet. As for the clutch, I happened to have this one on hand, so I was going to try it out. I bought it from Infamous Performance about 6 months ago, and it's been sitting in my garage unused (I put my back out, and I couldn't do any heavy lifting for awhile). Unless the IP guys take pity on me, and let me swap from the stage 1 to something heavier.

Theres some good ones out there. BNR makes some and personally i run a Kinguawa 16 in my car which is relatively cheap for what you get.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Archived