LegacyGT.com

Headlights - HID or No?

So long story short, my one piece 1995 headlights are generally bad but I put in a set of silverstars. Headlights were also cleaned up so hazing is not an issue. However, Silverstars have blown out after a year and about 8k in miles. I'm looking at options.

So up front I want to say no JDM headlights. From what I've read the JDM one piece trumps all, but can't find a set for under 300...and without bulbs and wiring. And I can't justify spending up to $500 on headlights and bulbs.

So on to the next options, and my thoughts:

HID kits are 35watts and 55watts, since my Subaru does not have a projector lens, 55 watts will kill owls from trees and blind on coming traffic. So I'm limiting myself to 35w HID kits.

I'm debating getting a 35watt 9003 hi/low HID kit for my factory one piece lights.

Would the lower 35watt kit give me an okay light pattern? I could not find anyone who put 35w HID bulbs in the one piece headlights. These should be brighter than the silver star bulbs.

From what I've read the later 2nd gens all have two piece headlights. Which I could get online or at a salvage yard. These are suppose to have a better pattern. So I'm wondering if these headlights with regular bulbs would be better than the one piece with a 35w HID.

I'm still working on a budget and I'm thinking two piece swap plus HIDs would be too expensive, or it will blind other drivers.

Anyone have thoughts? Anyone run HID in the one piece or two piece setup?

First of all, I have to agree that the Silverstars suck and don't last long enough to make it worth the extra price of using them!

I never went with the HID setup in my 96 wagon (one piece headlights as well)... I've seen too many people that have and the light scatters so much that it will blind the drivers, even using the 35w setup. There is such a large area on the HID's that light up where it's impossible to avoid this. I didn't want to spend the money on something that I would probably end up taking back out very quickly. I never did try the two piece headlights, but with being the similar reflectors, I would imagine the same result would happen.

I found an option with LED headlights that worked really well for me, and I have posted the link below for you. The LED's mimic the light distribution of the bulbs spot on, and work perfectly for the low and high beams. It was a very clean 6000k light output, and it would really illuminate the road well with the low beams and the highs as well. If I still had the car, I would take some pics to show you the light output, but unfortunately it died on me about 7 months ago.

The one and only downfall that I found with the LED's was that in the wintertime here in Colorado, that there is no heat output in the headlights themselves, so snow would build up on them very quickly while driving around. During the winter, I would put back in some basic halogens and it took care of this without a problem. If you live in a snowy area, I wouldn't recommend these during the winter, but in summertime they are fantastic! The price is pretty decent as well at $99, which is less than you would spend on a decent HID kit as well. Hope some of this helps you make a decision!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Headlight-Bulbs-Clear-Arc-Beam/dp/B00VNBEJ1G]http://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Headlight-Bulbs-Clear-Arc-Beam/dp/B00VNBEJ1G[/ame]

the one piece dont do very well with HIDs IMO. i went with two piece on one of my wagons, then ended up with a free set of HIDs in them (6000k). not too bad so far, good visibility and doesnt make me want to kick my own ass when one of my kids follows me in it at night. after the middle daughter rear ended someone, they are pointed a bit south for my tastes, but that will be fixed eventually.

You are not alone with poor light output from the one piece headlights. I would suggest saving your money from buying HIDs and finding a restorable set of 2 piece headlights and good halogen bulbs.

Aside from the beaten to death conversation of HIDs in non-compliant housings, the poor light pattern of the one piece headlights will only be amplified with the intensity and colour of light from HIDs.

My most favorite upgrade I've done to my Legacy are the 2 piece headlights. The difference is dramatic and they look great as well. I paid a total of $40 with a nice set of Phillips bulbs already installed and spent $20 restoring them:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/headlight-restoration-guide-201687.html

You can't go wrong.

The two piece headlights have a different bulb style, is there any wiring changes needed? Or just cut and wire the different connector?

I've also looked at the LED bulbs and did not like them. The back end is huge and will interfere with the stuff already in the area. Never even considered the lack of heat in the bulb and the snow. That won't jive for me, I run 35-40 miles through the Poconos to work.

I think a good retrofit might be worth while! When I was searching around I found this thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-morimoto-mini-h1-bi-xenon-projector-retrofit-211026.html?p=4506990

Definitely the best looking headlights I've seen on a leggy. Super clean look, but it seems like there is alot of time involved making them.

You need to retrofit like mentioned. Im going to do mini h1s soon. HIDs do not belong in halogen housings.

You should get 2 piece headlights, because 1 piece will scatter the pattern of the projector HIDs.

Here's a guide.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-morimoto-mini-h1-bi-xenon-projector-retrofit-211026.html?p=4506990

you will end up with crappy blue lights that illuminate everything but the road

this is caused by buying 7000k and higher bulbs with the kits, the kit and ballast itself have nothing to do with the color of light coming out of it. 4500k is just about yellow light, used by many manufacturers as OEM, some go to 6000k for the true white. 7000k is about the breaking point for blue, 8000k is very blue. over time the bulbs kelvin rating will change, thats why you replace them in pairs so they match better.

Yeah after reading all these responses I will probably just buy a 2 pack of silver stars.

I could buy 10 sets and go 10 years for less than the price you guys are on about for these extra headlights and the mini retrofit kits. Not to mention downtime on the var to get the lenses rebuilt.

If I get adventureous maybe I'll throw some spare cash at a 35w DDM kit and hope for the best during the summer. Days are already getting longer and in 6 weeks it will be spring. The car won’t be on daily winter duty and losing a headlight in summer isn't nearly as bad as running a 70+ mile commute in the dark with one light.

The higher number causes the blue. The light scatter is from putting HID in non HID housings, especially halogen reflector housings. The reflector housings don't direct the HID properly and just "scatter" the light everywhere

The optics in the US Legacy is terrible. I've tried all sorts of bulbs with mixed results. I've done the overwatt route with ceramic sockets, Thicker wiring and relays. They only last a month or 2. I got sick of it and went with HIDs. There are 1 piece that will also work with HIDs. They must be JDM projector housings. They have a round section of the lens that is non-prisimed, (plain). The upgrade, While difficult, has been one of the best and I have no regrets. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bi-xenon-fx-r-3-0-projector-retrofit-96-subaru-212705.html
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

"I'm swapping my 2 piece to the 1 piece headlights and adding 2 HID's per side, as the 1 piece lights have more room in them to add projectors."

DigDug. Your plan won't work.

2 HIDs per side? 1 will be bixenon and the other is for highbeam only. You will be disappointed if you try this. HIDs warm up time makes them poorly suited for highbeam only use.

• 1 month later...

I started off with 35w 8000k Kensun Hids. They lasted for almost 2 years and looked decent but...... the visibility of 8000k is horrible, especially if you like in a wooded area where deer or animals are an issue.

Just recently switched to 6000k 55w kit from Kensun and its a night and day difference, no pun intended lol. They do not blind on coming traffic and the glare is not that bad either. its a noticable difference in light output, 35w vs 55w, just make sure your headlights are lined up correctly or you will think that hids are crap. mine were out of whack and once i lined them up correctly i had very clear cut off lines on the low beams and good coverage on the high beams.

Good luck!

I have the JDM one piece headlights with HIDs with 5500k and they're great. You can pick up all the stuff you need to install them properly from these guys https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ You will have to buy the harness for 9003 or whatever bulb your car has stock, HID bulbs 4300-6000k are the best bet and 35w (NOT SLIM) ballasts, it'll run you about $120 depending on the bulbs and the ballasts, the wiring harness is only $30 and it's an easy install.

I did an upgrade on my D2S Morimoto (4500K) to Osram Xenarc Nightbreaker Unlimited CBI (5000K). The CBI Osrams are brighter and more useful on dry pavement. Wet pavement they don't seem as bright as the 4500s I replaced. One quirk about the CBI nightbreakers, Street sign reflectivity is so intense to the point where it is difficult to read them.

Lesson learned. I wish the conventional (4300K) Osram Xenarc Nightbreaker Unlimited was available from a trusted source back when I bought these.

Archived