LegacyGT.com

from legacy gt to wrx and back

I was one of the first Legacy Gt owners in my area back in 05. In 11, I bought a new WRX Limited. You can look up my comparison.

I wanted to keep my WRX a weekend driver and was looking for a second used car. The legacy is still my favorite car and have had the itch to buy one for my daily driver.

THere's a subbie dealership that is selling a 2006 XT outback with 175K. It looks in great shape and I've always wanted the legacy wagon. I've read that people have to replace their turbos around over 100k. Should I stay away from buying because of the mileage? Are there any other issues that people have run into? The subbie looks good but I'm hesitant to purchase. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ask for the service history (hopefully the have it). Check car fax and get a compression and leakdown test prior to buying.

Read this about the Turbos

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-failure-wiki-173358.html

My Turbo was fine at 120k, my engine wasn't.

A rebuild is right around $6,000 and if the turbo or a ringland goes you will need it.

2005-2006 don't suffer from crappy oem tune is my understanding. If the turbo on the outback is the one that came from the factory you might be in good shape.

so are there legacy drivers with close to 200k with their original turbos?

Ask for the service history (hopefully the have it). Check car fax and get a compression and leakdown test prior to buying.

Read this about the Turbos

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-failure-wiki-173358.html

My Turbo was fine at 120k, my engine wasn't.

A rebuild is right around $6,000 and if the turbo or a ringland goes you will need it.

what should I look for in a compression and leakdown test ?

Probably and we just don't know about it. The thing is if the turbo got replaced then there is a good chance the that the engine is bad.

I replaced my original turbo at 189,000 miles, and that was just due to a bad wastegate. Functionally, there was minimal shaft play (for it's age). I remember JMP saying it wasn't too bad. My motor, though, that popped at 196,000 miles. Cracked ringland diagnosed via 40% leakdown on cylinder 4. I contribute mine to running the COBB OTS Economy tune, as I think it ran lean on that tune.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

2005-2006 don't suffer from crappy oem tune is my understanding. If the turbo on the outback is the one that came from the factory you might be in good shape.

Sorry bud, but they still have crappy dangerous tunes: they are lean in boost (Closed loop to open loop delay), advance timing on 2 cylinders, closed loop adjustments roll into open loop.

All of those are bad juju, especially for a non stock LGT.

Also, 05-06's are more likely to kill turbos then 07+ it seems.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

what should I look for in a compression and leakdown test ?

The compression test should show you similar numbers across all four cylinders. The actual numbers should probably be between 110 and 150 and shouldn't have more then a few psi difference. So if cylinder one shows 120 then all the rest should be right around the same, a variance of upwards of 10 indicates problems. Also do the compression test wet and make sure you carefully thread the testers into the plug tubes, our tester has steel threads which can easily mangle the aluminum block threads which I've seen happen twice and is a big problem.

A leak down test is done with a smoke machine and you should look for the smoke escaping from places it shouldn't. I've never done one of these except for fuel system tests so that's really all I can tell you about. When looking for gas leaks you just basically pump the smoke into a line and get a few dudes to stand around and look for it, I assume it's the same for an engine leak down test but I don't honestly know. The smoke is dyed though so in theory it should be pretty easy to spot like it is with a fuel system test.

Archived