LegacyGT.com

Poll: HID Kit

Waxiboy

Which HID kit do you have or are planning to get?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which HID kit do you have or are planning to get?

• Apexcone
    • Xtec
    • Polarion
    • Sirius
    • Prolumen
    • Ebay generic
    • DIY from multiple parts
    • Others

I have a McCulloch HID kit from http://www.superbrightlights.com I kinda know the guy that owns the place, although not much beyond business. I ordered their h7 5300k kit for my car about a week after I had it (I WILL have my HIDs, car coming with it or not lol) Installation took about 10 hours with a friend and a stop for lunch. This included removing the amber reflectors though, so that was a good bit of the time.

The kit ran about $300 IIRC and came with a very nice relay wire harness to pull power from the battery rather than trying to pull an elephant through a coffee straw with the stock tiny wires for the halogen bulbs. They warm up fast, and look great IMO, I do not beleive they come with any stellar warranty but I had them in my last vehicle for 2 years and didn't have any problems.

We had to change the way the wires on the stock headlights run to be easy access, as you may know if you are looking at the headlight, the h7 connector is inside the big bowl that covers the back of the projector, we had to cut that out and re-route it and fill the grommet hole with a silicone replacement, but that went well enough and has had great results.

hid1.jpg.65cc0025862f5315c88b83ff8f9a11ef.jpg

hid2.jpg.e852b488853154f3f95e0a881f70706b.jpg

hid3.jpg.3ac4bf7cf2e492939a39533e7a9c2b30.jpg

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

DIY all off Ebay, but all new parts. I used Matsushita ballasts (OE for Nissan/Infinity among others), Phillips D2S+ bulbs and machined aluminum adapter rings. Total cost around $230. Very happy with the results.

You will get a couple of our resident lighting "purists" decrying the use of HID bulbs in our H7 halogen projectors, but while I do certainly respect their point of view, I honestly believe that drop-in HIDs produce outstanding results in our cars. Perfect... no, but pretty damn close without the cost and hassle of swapping in HID projectors.

DIY all off Ebay, but all new parts. I used Matsushita ballasts (OE for Nissan/Infinity among others), Phillips D2S+ bulbs and machined aluminum adapter rings. Total cost around $230. Very happy with the results.

You will get a couple of our resident lighting "purists" decrying the use of HID bulbs in our H7 halogen projectors, but while I do certainly respect their point of view, I honestly believe that drop-in HIDs produce outstanding results in our cars. Perfect... no, but pretty damn close without the cost and hassle of swapping in HID projectors.

To hell with them. Whatever works, works. ;)

Archived