LegacyGT.com

R&T: Eight Cars That Need a Performance Version

Subaru's current Legacy is a perfectly competent family sedan, but it's lost the performance credentials of past models, like the Legacy 2.5 GT .

Ford now has the only sporty model in this segment with the Fusion Sport, but it's ripe for a competitor. Subaru could easily raid its parts bin to spice up the Legacy.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/g6556/nine-cars-need-performance-version/?slide=6

I feel like that if Subaru is going to bring back a performance Legacy GT, 2017 model is the year that they are going to do it. The Indiana plant expansion & capacity gain the Camry leaving should loosen the current production constraints by the fall of 2016.

I wouldn't bet my lunch on this. SIA expansion is to build Imprezas domestically and increase volume of Legacy sedans and Outbacks. A performance Legacy let alone a turbo Legacy wagon just does not fit in SOA current lineup.

Heck, we can't even get the Levorg in form of WRX hatch - a car that only needs to be certified to be sold here. I gave up on expecting anything from Subaru in next few years, except for may be Tribeca's replacement for wife. We are looking to get her a new car within couple of years, if new Tribeca is not available or competent at that point Toyota will get new car money from us.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I wouldn't bet my lunch on this. SIA expansion is to build Imprezas domestically and increase volume of Legacy sedans and Outbacks. A performance Legacy let alone a turbo Legacy wagon just does not fit in SOA current lineup.

Heck, we can't even get the Levorg in form of WRX hatch - a car that only needs to be certified to be sold here. I gave up on expecting anything from Subaru in next few years, except for may be Tribeca's replacement for wife. We are looking to get her a new car within couple of years, if new Tribeca is not available or competent at that point Toyota will get new car money from us.

Why get the Tribeca replacement, do you have kids ?

Our new Outback is big.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

"ive lost all hope for the Legacy. Subaru wanted a Camry competitor. its got one now, with the term "appliance" to go along with it."

I recently drove a 2016 Legacy with Eye Site and it is effectively an AWD Camry, but with Subaru flavor. But that's not bad, if I want to replace my wife's Camry!

However, I'd like a Legacy GT wagon. During the test drive, the salesperson mentioned that Subaru may bring out a Legacy GT in 2017. Here's hoping he's right!

Even if Subaru was inclined to bring back the GT, they'd need to give it the STI treatment if they want the car to compete with Ford, who offers the 365 hp AWD Taurus and are about to offer a 325 hp AWD Fusion. 265 hp is such a huge drop-off in comparison at this point. They'll need to be solidly over 300 hp, or shouldn't bother.

You mean that awful Subaru propanganda? Yeah I FF through it.

:lol:

Yeah I know. In any case, I currently do enjoy my cars but do dislike very much the current subaru ads. 'Love it's what makes a bla bla bla'. Time to change!

And it's funny that they never ever have an ad with either a wrx or sti. Never seen this once.

:lol:

Yeah I know. In any case, I currently do enjoy my cars but do dislike very much the current subaru ads. 'Love it what makes a bla bla bla'. Time to change!

And it's funny that they never ever have an ad with either a wrx or sti. Never seen this once.

I don't think it's funny. I think it makes sense. Does Subaru need to advertise the WRX/STI at all? I don't really think so. It's a well-known vehicle in a rather unique place, with it's main rival (Evo) about to be discontinued. I don't see how putting a video of a WRX with a marketing slogan on TV will really help sell more of them. However, Subaru does have stiff competition for the rest of their model lineup.

I don't think it's funny. I think it makes sense. Does Subaru need to advertise the WRX/STI at all? I don't really think so. It's a well-known vehicle in a rather unique place, with it's main rival (Evo) about to be discontinued. I don't see how putting a video of a WRX with a marketing slogan on TV will really help sell more of them. However, Subaru does have stiff competition for the rest of their model lineup.

In any case, I still dislike their current ads. They're quite boring. I think Mitsubishi current ads are better IMO. I know I keep hearing it is a dying brand, but still.

That's what got us here in the first place. Justifying killing the wagon and eventually the GT because they could. No thanks. The current Legacy platform doesn't need to be lifted. It's already riding on compliant gap heavy suspension and larger rolling stock. It's now what the Outback used to be...

I know what you guys are saying. My original point isn't so much about throwing a turbo in every model like they did 10 years ago, it's more product position within the lineup and the market in general. It would be filling a gap and wouldn't have a direct competitor that isn't at least $10k more. SOA isn't going to drop the 3.6 already in the Outback or run them together, nor did they bother putting it in the Legacy due to the WRX already existing. Forester XT would also be competing with the Outback XT. Legacy GT Wagon has no competition on the lot. Much the same as a Levorg would have been, IMO. But yeah, turbo the whole damn fleet! lol

Archived