LegacyGT.com

Guess it's my turn, yeah another engine rebuild thread.

I'm sure there is probably a difference in mileage, engine condition etc. between your two cars. Maybe some more info will shed some light on that.

Short list:

10103AC050 EJ257 shortblock

10105AA720 Gasket Kit

Gates TCKWP328 Timing belt+water pump kit

FJK1001 Exedy Replacement clutch kit.

15049AA070 Oil pickup (no cracks in mine, but screen has a hole in it)

I simply glanced at the TOB snout, should dig deeper into it's condition before I pull the trigger on a simple clutch replacement kit.

Also need to inspect the oil pump, everything is telling me to just get a new one but the broke side of me is saying inspect it first.

I don't remember who, but someone said the gates water pump didn't last as long as the OEM ones. I ended up getting the OEM belt 13028AA240 and OEM closed (not stamped) impeller water pump 21111AA026 instead.

Since I actually had turbo and engine failure, I got a EJ257 shortblock *Cough* (many years back) 10103AC040 B25C 704 with BBBB pistons, VF52 turbo(JmP 11 blade rebuild/upgrade painted black), oil pump 15010AA300, oil cooler 21311AA151, head bolts 11095AA042, and 2 OCV's 10921AA020 as well. For the half moons I splurged and got the LIC aluminum ones and the cam bolts I went TIC FU.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm one of the ones that had to replace the Gates water pump after a few month's. It leaked out the weep hole.

But there are others that do ok with them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Any idea what kind of flywheel this is? Looks like a Cusco 10lb one. Currently don't have access to an accurate scale.

Since there are hot spots on the BACK of the flywheel, I would say it looks like a chunk of scrap metal. Any transmission or machine shop should tell you the same thing.

Yeah it's been run pretty hard by the looks of it. It just doesn't make sense why such an expensive/light flywheel would be on a basically stock car. The car was already switched to SMFW with a simple exedy oem replacement clutch by someone else. It's whatever at this point, I'm just going to put an OEM SMFW in it.

Yeah it's been run pretty hard by the looks of it. It just doesn't make sense why such an expensive/light flywheel would be on a basically stock car. The car was already switched to SMFW with a simple exedy oem replacement clutch by someone else. It's whatever at this point, I'm just going to put an OEM SMFW in it.

This reminds me of when I discovered that the brake dust shields on my seemingly "stock" outback had been cut to clearance LGT rotors... :lol:

And holy hot spots, Batman. That flywheel is roasted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

I happen to have a Spec LWFW which has a replaceable friction surface on if your interested. It works great with a Spec clutch. I think it's 17lbs.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 3 months later...

No serious updates except that the heads are bolted to the short-block and got the timing belt on. Just need to finish running some new vacuum lines, prime it and stuff it back into the car. The right side timing covers were both broke and plasti-welded together. I cant believe Subaru doesn't sell them WITH the seals.

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s617/boostedturbododge/WP_20160514_11_21_50_Pro_zpshsvyzqqm.jpg

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s617/boostedturbododge/WP_20160514_11_22_14_Pro_zpshskgeuar.jpg

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s617/boostedturbododge/WP_20160514_11_22_26_Pro_zpsgkbfwdzs.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Question 1: Good, I thought I was going crazy sitting there looking for a place for that.

Question 2: Yeah the only really good diagram I have found has an electronic boost control solenoid. I'm pretty sure the second port on the OEM boost solenoid goes to the wastegate tee.

• 2 weeks later...
It's bolted to the transmission now. Have to take the turbo off again because I forgot the damn support bracket. Also missing the mounting bolts for the ac and alternator. Getting new belts and tensioner pulley. After all that BS drop the radiator back in, TMIC, intake tubing and a new battery.

Not sure which tmic you have, but I've found leaving the turbo loose on the up pipe until the tmic is located and tighten in the TB hose and turbo outlet is easier. Allows the turbo to move around a bit and help the tmic line itself up.

Archived