LegacyGT.com

FredBeansParts is gone, where to get Tokyo Roki filters?

Look for the Mazda RX8 filter, at your local Mazda dealer or online parts store.

More info http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147113

Thanks man, so this one will work right? -->http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/CARTRIDGE,OIL-FILTER-(N3R1%252d14%252d302).html

It looks like a taller version of what I've used over the years, anyone used this on the 5th gen lgt?

Mike at Infamous has the Mazda filters. Same specs as the famous black OEM Subaru filters of the past.

They don't have it, or at least I can't find it. That website isn't really smartphone compatible and things aren't always listed correctly. They mix 4gen parts with 5gens all the time. I found the filter on other Mazda parts website already, just asking if any 5gen lgt guys have used it. Thx!

I've been using the Wix 57712- same small capacity as OEM (had the parts guy at O'Reilly ask me if it was for a lawn mower once), but with the higher bypass pressure. Can't say I've cut one open to see how it looks after a 5000 mile OCI, but my engine hasn't blown up yet, that's gotta be worth something.

Comparing the FSMs for the 4th Gen and the 5th Gen H4DOTC engines, they have the same requirement for filter by-pass opening requirement (23.2 psi) which is within the specification of the 2009 Mazda RX8 which is 20.3-26.1 psi

FWIW - Both black Tokyo Roki Subaru OEM 15208AA100 (shorter version) and the 15208AA160 (longer 2012 Forester FB version) and the Black Tokyo Roki N3R1-14-302 have the same pressure relief valve.

It's also interesting that the longer N3R1-14-302 and the AA160 have 124 sq.in. of filtration area, while the shorter AA100 and the replacement "blue" filters have 86 and 72.9 sq.in of filtration area respectively.

I would run the Tokyo Roki Black N3R1-14-302 filters on a 5th Gen LGT and never give it a second thought or have an ounce of concern about it. Same JDM quality, same specs, greater filtration area and at least as cheap as the Subaru OEM Honeywell Blues in quantity.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Comparing the FSMs for the 4th Gen and the 5th Gen H4DOTC engines, they have the same requirement for filter by-pass opening requirement (23.2 psi) which is within the specification of the 2009 Mazda RX8 which is 20.3-26.1 psi

FWIW - Both black Tokyo Roki Subaru OEM 15208AA100 (shorter version) and the 15208AA160 (longer 2012 Forester FB version) and the Black Tokyo Roki N3R1-14-302 have the same pressure relief valve.

It's also interesting that the longer N3R1-14-302 and the AA160 have 124 sq.in. of filtration area, while the shorter AA100 and the replacement "blue" filters have 86 and 72.9 sq.in of filtration area respectively.

I would run the Tokyo Roki Black N3R1-14-302 filters on a 5th Gen LGT and never give it a second thought or have an ounce of concern about it. Same JDM quality, same specs, greater filtration area and at least as cheap as the Subaru OEM Honeywell Blues in quantity.

Thanks for the confirmation, I've been using the shorter TR for 4 years, just want to make sure it's the right one. ;)

Also been running the RX8 filter with zero issues as replacements for the no-longer-available AA100 and AA160 TR Blacks on my 4th Gen LGT.

The TRs do call for a bit more "torque" during install than the Honeywell Blues. Per the FSM:

1. Apply a thin coat of engine oil to the seal rubber (I usually do this after - or as part of - filling the oil filter to the top of the filter in advance of the install)
  2. Install the oil filter, turning it by hand, being careful not to damage the seal rubber of the oil filter

• Tighten the black oil filter by approx 1 rotation after the seal of the oil filter comes in contact with cylinder block. When using a torque wrench tighten to 10.3 ft-lb

• Tighten the blue oil filter by approx 7/8 rotation after the seal of the oil filter comes in contact with cylinder block. When using a torque wrench tighten to 8.9 ft-lb

They don't have it, or at least I can't find it. That website isn't really smartphone compatible and things aren't always listed correctly. They mix 4gen parts with 5gens all the time. I found the filter on other Mazda parts website already, just asking if any 5gen lgt guys have used it. Thx!

Contact Mike directly via phone, email, or PM.

The Subaru trochoid oil pumps move a large volume of oil at pretty high pressures v-a-v the volume. So the one thing that I don't compromise on is the bypass pressure relief valve in the filter.

Set too low and it opens too soon, set too high, and it doesn't open soon enough. Many of the OTS filters don't meet the specific spec of the OEM versions, and they're cheaply constructed of marginal materials and flow holes.

Obtuse reference, but, where my drivetrain is concerned, I like my porridge just right. :)

http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/products/CARTRIDGE,OIL-FILTER-(N3R1%252d14%252d302).html

This is a good place to buy the filters from, great price. Yeah, I used Purolator's PureOne for almost a year because of its built quality until I realized the bypass pressure is too low. I've used TR for about 4 years and it's been great. Pair that with Rotella T6 and keeps my car running smooth even at 100k.

These (Mazda TR filters) are the same as the Subaru OEM AA160 which was the original filter for the FB25 in the Forester, and IIRC Legacy and Outback. The specs for all of the 5th Gen FB25s and EJ255 filters are the same as the Mazda TR filter.

Archived