LegacyGT.com

Rebuild of 05 LGT 2.5 Wagon

ROFL! You learn quick!

I like the M3! Do you still have it?

ha gator, you assume this is my first rodeo.

thanks. sad, but no. lost it (and more) in my divorce a couple years ago. with it being a 95, i had a lot of engine rebuilds, each one with more love then the last.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking for some input on roof rails. removed them and thinking i might fill in holes and go without? kind of like the idea to streamline it. i don't want to buy the deletes for it, too expensive and stupid to take out the liner again. thoughts?

going to fill in holes.

IMG_1106.JPG.20d7b3361e061802cede4bb0fa896e51.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG.96c5d6ee7b8ccee66d60ff39454beb17.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG.947a0160740b41811e3e97d9e111df4e.JPG

here are the fuel rails. left is the 2005 side feed. right is a 2007 sti/wrx/gt top feed. checked all bolt holes on the 2007 and they are a perfect fit. looks like they moved the center breather(?) to be closer to the fuel input area. now to order the 2007 tumblers w/deletes.

IMG_1102.JPG.09da26e95fa2ec51a6250d9026cf76b4.JPG

While the headliner is out, make sure the wires are in good shape where they go through the grommet.

Lot's of them break. Common problem on wagons.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

looking for some input on roof rails. removed them and thinking i might fill in holes and go without? kind of like the idea to streamline it. i don't want to buy the deletes for it, too expensive and stupid to take out the liner again. thoughts?

going to fill in holes.

My race car originally kept them when the Subaru Road Race Team campaigned the car in 2006. I think mostly to emphasize the Wagon aspect vs all the sports cars. In 2007 they took them off when Tarzan Yamada was doing Time Attacks.

I raced the car without them the first year, then when thinking about adding a rear wing I bought a pair from a junk yard and reinstalled them. Not for any performance gain, but mostly like the SRRT reason, to accentuate the Subaru Wagon aspect when passing the Miatas! The rails definitely help the wagon get attention at the track.

For 2016 I am on a weight loss plan for the car, especially high C/G weight. So the rails may come off again.

In the next couple of weeks I hope to 3D scan the car then play with a CFD analysis of it with and without the roof rails. If there is any aero benefit I'll keep them, otherwise they will be coming off.

And just to confirm we are talking about the LGT rails, not the Outback rails. The Outback rails are quite a bit larger and heavier.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

wings help with down force so much. the wing on my m3 was wind tunnel tested. once over 80mph the wing was useful. at 100mph it was putting 150lbs of down force on the rear. one of the porsche's racing at daytona 24 had text book issues with it's wing. without the wing, the car couldn't handle the high speed in field turns.

i found a rail that is low profile that should work. i'd like to keep the rail, just not that big of one. yes the LGT rail.

thule-roof-rack-tracks-tb60-6.png.66e6414323dfe6ff6a2edf70a71455d2.png

we're kicking around motorizing the rear spoiler, rake not a wing. with how long the wagon is, i'd like more down force when braking to make the back sit. wiring and motor isn't the problem, more of where to connect too i'd like it to auto activate at brake speeds. wonder if the university of minnesota engineering department would like a project?

Now's the time to upgrade if you need. I think most people end up going with a Koyorad or Mishimoto part. You can also fine the OEM on Amazon for less than $100... so that drives most people's decisions. :)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Mishimotor of course. No question, it holds a lot my coolant.

You just have to be careful trimming the top radiator hose. Keep it away from the fan.

PM Underdog, he sold me mine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

we're kicking around motorizing the rear spoiler, rake not a wing. with how long the wagon is, i'd like more down force when braking to make the back sit. wiring and motor isn't the problem, more of where to connect too i'd like it to auto activate at brake speeds. wonder if the university of minnesota engineering department would like a project?

Active aero is banned by virtually all race sanctioning organizations except at the very highest pro levels. You car will not pass tech inspection at any amateur race in the US.

The only cars I've ever been close to with active aero are Formula SAE.

feedback please. busted radiator. should i do an oem or go with a performance one? if performance one, which one?

Mishimoto. They make two models, a 2 core and a 3 core (X-Line). The 2 core is a good upgrade, the 3 core is great. The 3 core will fit, but it's tight.

2 core: Part #: MIS MMRAD-STI-08

3 Core X-Line: Part #: MIS MMRAD-STI-08X

• 2 weeks later...
Active aero is banned by virtually all race sanctioning organizations except at the very highest pro levels. You car will not pass tech inspection at any amateur race in the US.

The only cars I've ever been close to with active aero are Formula SAE.

right on. i'll do a second oem wing for events if i go that route. with having the liner down, i'm going to wire for it any way.

i'm hijacking my own thread. was at cota racing this weekend and had a large scale car fire. just a reminder to all who play in this sport, it's dangerous. the driver suffered major burns to the face because he didn't have his visor down on his helmet. he was airlifted to austin hospital and is out of the icu. visors aren't for keeping bugs out of your face in a closed cockpit car. it's to protect your face. the fire broke out in the mid section of the car and within 30 seconds the fuel cell went. it was a very scary scene.

fire.jpg.85b8de4ee62a41d5609854ec07323d83.jpg

right on. i'll do a second oem wing for events if i go that route. with having the liner down, i'm going to wire for it any way.

Just be aware that one of the reasons active aero is banned is what happens when the movable wing surface controller fails and the wing moves on it's own at the wrong time. Very bad things can happen. At Formula SAE speeds on an autocross course its not life threatening. On a road course at 125 mph it is.

Just be aware that one of the reasons active aero is banned is what happens when the movable wing surface controller fails and the wing moves on it's own at the wrong time. Very bad things can happen. At Formula SAE speeds on an autocross course its not life threatening. On a road course at 125 mph it is.

nothing ever fails in racing. we over engineer with massive amounts of duct tape and random screws we find on the floor.

nothing ever fails in racing. we over engineer with massive amounts of duct tape and random screws we find on the floor.

I seem to recall a wing failing and the crash afterwards. Some of us were alive back then.

You might find more info here,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaparral_Cars

• 2 weeks later...

just finished all the prep work for priming. will prime next week. this would go so much faster with out kids in sports.

since the car is being painted (the right way), we are rolling the fenders with a slight "push out". should be nice. hat's off to body shop guys. i've have the honor of working side-by-side the one in best in MN. dam painting is some hard work.

after all the work on the painting, i've moved to not build a race car out of it. going to go find another e30 race car. this LGT will be to beautiful to race.

one surprise. the past owner must have damaged the hood and replaced it. during sanding we found it have never been primed!!! so we had to sand down to the metal. not fun sanding aluminum.

IMG_1388.JPG.43c6e8cec19e02a4e01f32395dd2035b.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG.298101c8d05f1e23895829053ef96f56.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG.19130257b2296fe14dd49a0c4f2766f3.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG.8fab5515dd5fe17df22f20da6db95856.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG.c1a06752452a75f3e0327db035a556cd.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG.4b5b2835a840a8ec2360841b6a2f9e16.JPG

wanting to put an harness bar in. suggestions as to what will fit? the pillars are exposed and kicking around welding plates in to hold harness bar vs using the seat belt anchors. it would have to be removable, room for kids of course when not on the track. i've check the web and not finding anything for legacys. thoughts, suggestions?

also need suggestion for a seat type. i'd like a seat that works well on the daily driving and on the track days. i've had the racing seats before and want the ability to adjust for daily driving or road trips, but solid for track events.

got a price back on the dibond sub strait. $210 for a 72x36 sheet. they'll diecut my template for free. can get 1/4 to 1in thick. super light and strong. cool thing is it can be printed on. i think i can get it cheaper from the source vs the printer. you know us branding guys, we love to print on everything.

dibond.jpg.9744c2d5e1c7f905d7d011a7beb95f71.jpg

gebuerstetes_alu.jpg.e224055bb7f86b28bde5202950cc9074.jpg

This is my absolute dream for a random dd. Completely tear it down to do everything right. Looking at my wagon in the garage now, I'd love to restore it to absolute mint condition, even though it's really not that bad now.

Archived