LegacyGT.com

Timing belt came off cam while driving

Interesting preliminary opinion from a metallurgist.

He said it looks like a tensile failure due to torquing. But no markings on the bolt require further testing.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/15/07e09e290ad45889be873393f7c276e5.jpg

The tool marks on the bolt head suggest the use of an impact wrench rather than a socket with a torque wrench.

Flat rate shops almost always skip the proper tools and techniques in favor of production. Never good.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most Mechanics probably do know which engine is an interference engine, but it really isn't their job to memorize those things. If you think about it, their job of doing a timing belt isn't dependent on whether or not it's an interference engine. Half the cars I have done timing belts on I don't know if it's an interference engine. (I am not mechanic just a DIY)

Ten quarts of break in oil? The engine only holds four. WTF?

And $340 for the timing belt with water pump sounds steep too.

The oil capacity of an oil filter and change is 4.4 quarts for my 2.5i per the manual. A bone dry engine will take additional oil. With the second oil change it going to 9.x oil.

Most shops charge list price of parts.

The tool marks on the bolt head suggest the use of an impact wrench rather than a socket with a torque wrench.

Flat rate shops almost always skip the proper tools and techniques in favor of production. Never good.

I have a hard to beleiving that since a lot of mechanics are paid flat rate. . It is unfair to make that broad generalization. Your posts seem are coming off like an arm chair mechanic.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to hear about this but it's a huge help to anyone doing the work themselves. I put some locktite on every pulley bolt except the crank yesterday when I did my timing belt.

DGoodhue...I have to agree with RacerX69. I am a technician and know plenty of flat rate guys who cut corners. There are Subaru flat rate techs who hole saw inner fenders to get plugs out of turbo legacys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my Gates TCK307 kit today from rockauto. Interesting that my kit did not come with an NTN tensioner, like a recent amazon reviewer noted.

On the new tensioner, the tensioner mounting bolt is also marked 10.9. From what I understand and just looked up, grade 10.9 appears to be the equivalent to, or slightly better than grade 8 bolts. I attached a modified picture of the chart in the link below to show what I mean. Just posting this because I think it's interesting that they made these changes, maybe they just changed suppliers to save money, who knows.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/materials-and-grades/bolt-grade-chart.aspx

tensioner1.thumb.jpg.af07d0ba9282bbaecc52d797160e1092.jpg

bolt.thumb.png.3f95118e26986cb7e9384da72ae569e4.png

• 1 month later...
Reason #1 that I never use aftermarket parts and NEVER have heavy maintenance done outside of my Subaru dealer.

That's preposterous and mildly offensive. Hundreds of us have used aftermarket parts with no problems and also did the work ourselves or somewhere other than the dealership. Finding a good, competent independent repair shop is not a hard task and will save you money. You take your car to a dealer with mostly all flat rate technicians where they cut corners all over the place because they are not going to lose money working on a strangers car. John Doe off the streets works on cars, gets hired by a dealership but has never touched a Subaru. Having a false sense of security going to a dealership can be disastrous especially since they mastered the art of washing their hands of any wrong doing.

Awww, did I hurt your wittle feelings? too bad, so sad... if the op had this work done by Subaru, he would not be eating the costs he is now...

Nobody currently knows what he's eating. You didn't hurt my feelings whatsoever. I am a technician and do all the work on my vehicle. Only time the dealer will see my car is for recall services. You can continue getting raped by the dealership for all I care. All I'm saying is your view on dealerships is extremely skewed. Then again, they rely on people like you who think "dealership knows best" to keep themselves in business. I don't remember the exact figures but I want to say dealerships get 60%-65% of their income through the service department.

• 2 weeks later...
Hallelujah! OP HAS RETURNED!

(wish I could find a .gif for that)

Sorry I haven't given many updates. Life just happens with family and kids and work and stuff. But I'm close to 10k on the rebuilt engine and everything seems to be fine.

Now if I get my $$ I'll be good.

• 2 weeks later...

Just stumbled on this thread, but read all 7 pages. Ryan,, man you are a trooper. Gods Speed and go get those f*ckers. It's an unfortunate mistake, but that's their business and someone there blew it. That why they have insurance. Hope this ends quickly.

And YeuEmMaiMai... There is nothing wrong with using aftermarket parts or with taking your car to another mechanic other than a Subaru dealer. I have over 38k on my gates kit and have had suspension work done away from Subaru without any problems. My Legacy hasn't been to Subaru in almost 90k. Keep drinking the dealers Kool-Aid.

I went by the shop today and presented the documentation from Gates. At first they were still kind of in denial. But then I told him that the bolt was obviously stretched and that I took it to several other mechanics including the Subaru dealer and everyone said it was obviously over tightened. The owner looked through the report and apologized to me. He said that he would notify his insurance company and hopefully I would be reimbursed soon. I said no problem as long as we are going in that direction. So hopefully this nightmare will be over soon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good news, finally good news. Nationwide, who ensures the shop is sending me my check!!!

The past couple months have been a total nightmare dealing with the engine shop. They were not responsive to my phone calls or what the insurance company needed. They just kind of started working a few days a week and avoiding stuff. But finally got it addressed.

Archived