LegacyGT.com

Jl Audio Cleansweep

LegacyMUN2k6

I did check it. It's secure. My signal was strong pre-install, and now my 'normal' stations won't come in well, nor any at all really. Reception was fine before I installed everything (even though I have metallic tint). Perhaps the combo of tint plus gear = :(

Yeah, that sucks... I vote for the metallic tint+gear theory. The metallic tint is probably containing the RF emitted by the electronics much more than if you didn't have it on there. I used non-metallic tint and have zero problems. You could redo the rear window in non-metallic and see if that helps.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what ever happened to antenna boosters? the local Pepboys and Advance Auto used to carry them, but now they are no where to be found?

my FM is "OK", with the occaisional crackle, but i'm running a dual diversity tuner deck with an auxillary antenna, and it should sound "VERY VERY GOOD."

i didn't have much luck searching online for an antenna booster under $30, either. anyone know a good place to get one?

EDIT: nevermind, i found a few. :)

booster = amplifier. If the antenna isn't getting anything because of noise/tint issues, then all you amplify is noise.

thanks - i have an EE degree. :) i guess i was off-topic a bit.

back on topic -

i assume you don't have the front windshield tinted? if not, i've seen a powered "blade" antenna that mounts to the inside of a window - it might not be too out of place above the rear view mirror near the headliner. ???

EDIT: hey, i found it -

http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/44-UA200/detail.asp

Yeah, that sucks... I vote for the metallic tint+gear theory. The metallic tint is probably containing the RF emitted by the electronics much more than if you didn't have it on there. I used non-metallic tint and have zero problems. You could redo the rear window in non-metallic and see if that helps.

I'm not hearing static. I'm hearing warble tones, or digital switching noise. Some stations are strong enough to overpower it (though not enough to be noise free), but the tuner locks on to every step when I hit 'seek'. So, 102.7, then 102.9. then 103.1, etc.

It's likely the switching power supplies of one or both of the amplifiers... disconnect the turn on lead of the 500/1 to see if the noise goes away. We need to at least determine which component is the primary transmitter.

I still think retinting with non-metallic on the back window might be the only real fix. :(

When I'd re-assembled after pulling the radio, I had also lost radio reception, but it turned out I'd used the antenna amplifier power lead instead of the auxillary power lead for the amp turn on line. After swapping things back everything was good to go. Could that be the problem? (seems as not, but I'm a firm believer in Occam's Razor).

It's likely the switching power supplies of one or both of the amplifiers... disconnect the turn on lead of the 500/1 to see if the noise goes away. We need to at least determine which component is the primary transmitter.

well, as soon as it stops raining I will test the tint - open the hatch up and roll all the windows down - if the FM comes back, we know the culprit :icon_lol: Then, cycle through each component to see which one is the leaky bastard. :icon_tong

I still think retinting with non-metallic on the back window might be the only real fix. :(

:( is right

I'm not hearing static. I'm hearing warble tones, or digital switching noise. Some stations are strong enough to overpower it (though not enough to be noise free), but the tuner locks on to every step when I hit 'seek'. So, 102.7, then 102.9. then 103.1, etc.

I have the exact same problem now after getting everything installed. More of a warble tone than static, and the search button now hits every frequency. I might look into a solution when it gets warmer out.

Hmmm.... do you also have metallic tint, rockford33?

Yours is a sedan, right?

I do have a sedan. I told them I needed non-metallic tint because of possible radio issues. Based on price, I am pretty sure it is not ceramic (only paid $160 I think for the whole tint job), maybe it is dyed. I'll have to check the info they provided me when I had everything done. If it is metallic, I will be a little pissed.....

I looked at the website just now. I believe I have the Johnson Window Films RayGuard tint, which is non-metallic and the Johnson site states it is non-conductive so as not to interfere with GPS, rear window antennas, etc. So I am not sure what my issue would be.

my guess is that we are hearing switching noise from the 500/1. Either that or the CleanSweep is singing it's own tune. Should be able to test it by pulling out the turn-on lead from the 500/1.

my guess is that we are hearing switching noise from the 500/1. Either that or the CleanSweep is singing it's own tune. Should be able to test it by pulling out the turn-on lead from the 500/1.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to play with the car until next weekend since I am out of town this weekend. If you do find that hepls your situation, let me know and I will try it on mine. If that is the case for both, we may have found our problem.

Yup, you should both disconnect the turn-on lead of the 500/1 to see if the problem disappears... if it persists with the 500/1 disconnected, then proceed to disconnect the turn-on lead of the other amplifier and see if the station seek behavior normalizes (you won't be able to hear the station, obviously). If the problem persists after that, it's the CleanSweep (unlikely).

If it's the 500/1 causing the interference, please post the serial numbers of those amplifiers... I need to see what revision they are. If they are old, I may be able to get them checked out and updated for you guys, which might help.

my noise is from the 500/1 one - emailed my S/N. ;)

Design suggestion for the CleanSweep - can you make the AUX in or switched lead turn the unit on as well vs. only the speaker inputs? I leave my radio off if just using the iPod. Not a big deal, but seems like it would be a minor fix.

any idea if you can get an extra silver knob (the kind that comes with clean sweep) to put on my rbc-1... basically what you did.

Well you could pm msmith (Manville Smith - JL guy), he was real nice about getting me a calibration CD despite the fact that I bought the cleansweep online which JL does not condone. He may be able to send you one. That knob does match nice though and its a good size.

Archived