LegacyGT.com

Boost expectations for VF46

dsmtuned

Hello,

I can't find a compressor map for the VF46 turbo online and it seems like there is very little documentation on how much this turbo flows or boosts.

What should be my realistic expectations of max efficient boost throughout the RPM range at 5800' above sea level?

I've been tuning WGDC and the Turbo Dynamics tables and I'm still having trouble reaching my boost target with 83% WGDC in some places.

BTW- Sorry for the number of parameters in the log. I'm still fine tuning BTSSM logging.

Thanks.

Craig

BtSsm_20151028_080957_knock.csv

Here's a shot of the boost figures I'm getting from my JmP VF46 Custom (fyi, I have a GrimmSpeed EBCS, Cobb SF intake, Cobb downpipe, eBay catback):

http://i.imgur.com/aXy4ovE.png

I get bursts of 20+ psi, tapering to ~16psi around 6200rpm.

Are you completely stock? You may have trouble hitting higher boost pressures without an EBCS, downpipe or other supporting accessories. I don't know enough to say for sure.

Great numbers solidxsnake!! What elevation are you at?

I'm not looking to break any records. My car is stock minus the tune. I'm just looking to correct some boost error and wasn't sure if it was realistic to ask for 15.5psi at 5800'.

It's nice to see that turbo can actually boost fairly well.

Great numbers solidxsnake!! What elevation are you at?

I'm not looking to break any records. My car is stock minus the tune. I'm just looking to correct some boost error and wasn't sure if it was realistic to ask for 15.5psi at 5800'.

It's nice to see that turbo can actually boost fairly well.

Low elevation (probably around 500ft or so), so that probably helps quite a bit. Not sure how much better JmP's 46 flows over the stock one, but I feel like you should be able to hit 15.5psi out of it since that's not much higher than stock boost figures. At 5800' though, I'm not sure.

Your output all depends on your tune and your supporting mods. I was able to squeeze 235 awhp and 299 awtq out of a run of the mill locally rebuilt vf40 and a protune, however my supporting mods are complete overkill for stage 2. I'm running a grimmspeed up, invidia down, 3" catback, hexmods vb (5EAT), grimmspeed 3port, and a drop in filter. Target boost is 17psi. Not to shabby for a tiny little snail. What was your target?

Altitude can have a drastic effect on turbo efficiency. I'm in Colorado and the vf40/vf46 struggles a lot more than when I etune across the country.

you will see that there really is not a huge difference between 16.5psi and say 17.5-18 most times. Figure at CO altitude your baro pressure is 11.8-12.2 most times which is a far cry from sea level.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Altitude can have a drastic effect on turbo efficiency. I'm in Colorado and the vf40/vf46 struggles a lot more than when I etune across the country.

you will see that there really is not a huge difference between 16.5psi and say 17.5-18 most times. Figure at CO altitude your baro pressure is 11.8-12.2 most times which is a far cry from sea level.

Dave

Yeah I'm basically getting 15.8psi around 4400rpm and it drops of to 11psi by redline. After adjusting WGDC and Turbo Dynamics tables today, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just out of turbo, which is fine. The car is wicked strong compared to the stock tune which was my goal at this point.

Archived