LegacyGT.com

Oh my need of a 6th gear in the Leggy!

What was SOA thinking when they decided to limit it to just a 5 speed MT? There are so many benefits to having that extra gear. Better fuel economy for one which is huge given the price of fuel the way it is currently. Less emissions over the lifetime of the vehile for cleaner air for seconds. Less wear and tear on the motor over the liftime of the vehile is the kicker . I used to drive a Saab 9000 Aero 5 spd that was geared in a way that provided much better fuel economy on the highway. Those Swedes are cloever. In this day and age it just does not make sense to me why this is not available. At 75 on the highway I'm revving up to 3500. With a 6th gear it would be substantially less. WTFO? Thoughts?

Other than this one thing I love my Leggy:) . This is the only thing with the car that I can't understand. Others agree?:confused:

BUK

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

________ Last gear ratio , Final drive ratio => Engine speed @ 80MPH with 215/45/17(24.6 inches diameter)

LGT 5MT: ____0.738_________4.11___=> 3314 RPMs

WRX 5MT: ___0.738_________3.90 __=> 3145 RPMs

WRX STi 6MT: _0.756_______ 3.90___=> 3222 RPMs

Hypothetical LGT 6MT: 0.756_ 4.11___=> 3395 RPMs

If the math is not wrong, the difference in RPMs with the 6MT is trivial, so please stop whining like a bunch of babies.

Used http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html for tire diameter calculation

Used http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html for engine speed calculation

Used http://media.subaru.com/ for gear and drive info

I keed I keeed

________ Last gear ratio , Final drive ratio => Engine speed @ 80MPH with 215/45/17(24.6 inches diameter)

LGT 5MT: ____0.738_________4.11___=> 3314 RPMs

WRX 5MT: ___0.738_________3.90 __=> 3145 RPMs

WRX STi 6MT: _0.756_______ 3.90___=> 3222 RPMs

Hypothetical LGT 6MT: 0.756_ 4.11___=> 3395 RPMs

If the math is not wrong, the difference in RPMs with the 6MT is trivial, so please stop whining like a bunch of babies.

Used http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html for tire diameter calculation

Used http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html for engine speed calculation

Used http://media.subaru.com/ for gear and drive info

thats only for dropping in the sti 6mt into the legacy.

they could easily put in a new 6mt for the legacy with a new final drive.

however i agree, even in my 6spd nissan, the RPM's didnt seem any lower than the complimentry 5spd model.

I've always thought that 6spds were mainly to get more usuable torque out of the low end gears... WIth the trade off being have to shift more often.

The legacy has more than enough to torque and really shouldnt need more gears.

If you got the 5EAT on the LGT with a 3.27 final drive and 0.834 for 5th gear, you would get 2980 RPMs @ 80MPH and since the torque converter locks up at 3rd gear and above, the drivetrain loss is as much as the 5MT.

Solution: Get teh 5EAT.

I keed I keeed

thats only for dropping in the sti 6mt into the legacy.

they could easily put in a new 6mt for the legacy with a new final drive.

Even with all the final gear and drive ratio combinations the maximum diff is less than 200 RPMs.

People, just use cruise control @ 55-70 MPH and watch your gas mileage rise.

I keed I keeed

Melayout is right.. unless you get some ridiculous gearing for 6th that will drop the car's rpms way low like a 0.500 ratio for 6th, then you will have a LONG time to get the car even back up to the sweet spot for the power band. Besides, I have topped out my GT at 5th, it wouldnt make any sense to throw the car in 6th to "cruise" along the back straight of a road track if the 6th gear is close to 5th.. why shift and abuse the clutch anymore when you need to downshift it again when you brake? Even if you throw a 6th in there, two things happen:

1) either you make all the ratios closer to make 6th usable

2) never use 6th because it's too tall

For those that have driven and topped out on 5th, acceleration is SLOW as dirt! You would need some power mods (another 50 whp or so) to make it climb/accelerate like a 4th gear would.

If anything, I would like the gears to be spaced out just a little bit wider to cover from 4000 rpms to 6500 rpms instead of 4500 or 4700 rpms to 6500 rpms. I want the meat of that max torque to keep the car going.

I would like a lower final drive like a 4.00. I would like a few more mph per gear as well.. it's no fun topping out 2nd at 60 mph.. gosh how I envy Porsche gearing at 78 mph on 2nd gear.

Keefe

I would say that is more aero drag than anything, so with a different gear ratio the motor would still have about the same gas mileage at 80.

That's true for a naturally aspirated engine, but i think since we have a turbo gas mileage plummets when you enter boost more so than the aero drag.

I keed I keeed

It would be interesting to see if a 6th gear would help... Fuel mileage does seem to be a contention on this car.

I wonder if the 6MT from the Legacy 3.0R Spec B would work... It is already in existence, and it fits the chassis. I am not sure, but I have heard, and am under the impression that the transmission gears and final drive are taller than the short, accelleration-optimized 6MT from the WRX STi.

I think moving 5th gear closer to 1:1, or very slightly over-driven, and putting a sixth gear that is a "super" over-drive gear, and perhaps might help some with highway fuel efficiency.

All in all, as nice as a 6MT would be, at this point, I am glad it comes with a MT at all.

A stronger tranny means it's less likely to break but other parts of the drivetrain are now more likely to break.

If someone drives bad enough to break a transmission, he would have to upgrade the tranny, clutch, axles, differentials, suspension and tires so that when he dumps it the tires light up.

Case in point is the axles, Subaru issued a TSB to warn dealers about cases of torn/broken axles on the WRX STi @ http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4814 .

I keed I keeed

It would be interesting to see if a 6th gear would help... Fuel mileage does seem to be a contention on this car.

I wonder if the 6MT from the Legacy 3.0R Spec B would work... It is already in existence, and it fits the chassis. I am not sure, but I have heard, and am under the impression that the transmission gears and final drive are taller than the short, accelleration-optimized 6MT from the WRX STi.

I think moving 5th gear closer to 1:1, or very slightly over-driven, and putting a sixth gear that is a "super" over-drive gear, and perhaps might help some with highway fuel efficiency.

All in all, as nice as a 6MT would be, at this point, I am glad it comes with a MT at all.

I am getting anywhere from 25 to 27 mpg for long trips, 24 mpg daily, and 6.3 mpg on the track, and 2.5 mpg at the autox based on the computer's readout.. what more do we want out of a sports sedan? 50 mpg? Just stop lead-footing the throttle and you'll get a lot more mpg out of it.

Fourth gear is your 1:1 drive basically that you are looking for your 5th.. that's not going to help.. 5th gear is already considered your "super" over drive.. so if you are asking for a TALL 6th gear (of which I mentioned earlier of being 0.500) then you'll be boggin the car down to no end... The easier thing to do is request for a taller final driver instead and sacrifice the acceleration for top speed so that you can get more mph and less rpms while doing so.

Keefe

Archived