LegacyGT.com

Basic Rebuild aka Stupid Question Containment Thread

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True. That.

Got the cam bolts out. Vice grips and belt method. Honestly nothing to it with a jack handle on the end of a breaker bar. I tried a few other methods first, but only having one breaker bar held me up.

Between family doctor visits and less than ideal parts, I missed the timeline. There were a few days where I couldn't get started in the garage until 1pm. I think I'm within two full days until first fire, about what I missed throughout the week.

At 203k miles, the car still had banjo filters, and catted up pipe. To my knowledge the tune was stock as well. The turbo, while covered in leaked antifreeze, is in phenomenal shape. Zero shaft play. My guess is the turbo had to have been replaced, and at least 3yrs/50k miles ago.

Other fun learnings include shredded ground wires, missing down pipe bracket bolts, seized turbo bolts, obvious tgv gasket leakage, and a broken crank gear tooth for the crank position sensor.

How's this for "juicy":

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/seanyb505/Message_1458682850306_zpswgnbthfz.jpg

I've tried to take a lot of pics. Unfortunately some of the more complicated stuff is lacking visual documentation as I was trying to focus on the task at hand. I'll get some more up in time line fashion soon.

Did I tell you to trial mount the tmic to the TB and turbo before you install the engine ?

I've learned to leave the turbo loose on the uppipe until I have all the bolts started the TB hose tight.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Get your GS TMIC mounts in-place while the engine is out...;) Will make it easier afterwards to just install the TMIC.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Well I've got about 50 miles on the engine and p0011 popped up. Luckily I was just outside the neighborhood so I reset the code and turned around. No noises or anything. The right vvt reading has been low since first start.

Check Scruit's issue with "sealant" in/around that area, and VVT solenoid readings.

Possible you have a plug/dam in your oil flow there.

I made special effort to push something stiff through those passages after I installed the cam cradle. When they came back mostly clean I figured there shouldn't be enough remaining RTV to be a restriction.

Possible leak on the front of the AVCS pulley... just running through my mind of what it could possibly be that would be VVT-related. Connector on that bank?

Great vids, I definitely think I used the lesser amount in the first vid. I know I've got an oil drip from the drivers driver's side timing cover, but I'm surprised on the passenger it's so bad it's causing codes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hasn't been much progress lately, with tax season and all.

I removed the engine just to have an easier time working with valve covers and such.

The driver's side is ready to go back together. There didn't seem to be any rtv gunking up the cradle oil channels, but then again the driver's side wasn't throwing any codes. Just waiting to go pick up new cam seals. I didn't like the way the exhaust seal fit on the cam, or the way the intake fit on the cam gear. Also going to install the seals when bolting the cam cradle down, as opposed to pounding in the seal with the special tool aka giant socket.

Any reason not to do it this way?

Archived