LegacyGT.com

Basic Rebuild aka Stupid Question Containment Thread

I took the cram cradle off to remove the seal, but I installed the seal last with the special JDM install tool (small hammer and piece of wood). I'm not really sure if you're gonna be able to put the seal in first and THEN tighten down the cam cradle - those front bolts are tiny and only go to something like 7.5 ft/lbs - and I broke one at 10 ft/lbs (the lowest by bigger torque wrench would go to)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pass cam cradle off, and no smoking gun unlike Scruit. My last hopes are The IP&T filtered oiled line wasn't playing nicely with the divorced oil feed lines, or the seals weren't sealing. I'm using my old AVCS cam gears (cleaned) and rerouting the filtered line to the back of the pass head. I also picked up new seals today to give myself every opportunity to fix the problem.

If I get the code again I'll try replacing the cam sensor, otherwise....I can only conclude the pass head/cam combo can't maintain oil pressure. But that would certainly impact the driver's side as well...Right?

See the holes down the length of the cam bolts that hold the AVCS pulleys on? Oil flows through there.

To ensure oil doesn't flow through there and into your timing set, there are covers on the front of the AVCS pulleys.

Without: (Very splashy) (Note black o-ring)

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/Scruit/avcs_nocover.png

With:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/Scruit/avcs_withcover.png

If these covers are missing you'll get a ton of oil inside your timing cover very quickly, so clearly they are not *missing*, but are the black o-rings in good shape?

I'd put some UV dye in the oil then drive it a day and look for the leak.

• 1 month later...
Any chance your AVCS gear seals were damaged when you cleaned the gears? Back in post #44 it looks like you took them apart. When I did mine, the big shaped o-rings were pretty firmly stuck to the backplates. If the backplates leak, that would send oil out the back of the gear, right?

I don't believe they were. The funny shaped rings from the spare gears were still supple and pliable. When I went to go clean my old gear, those were rock hard and in bad shape.

I've got a significant amount of updating to do in here, just don't have time right now. I still think I've got some leak somewhere, just not enough to drip or it's getting burned off before it has the chance. My last oil change (@ 250 miles) I wiped everything up. I'll see how things look when I change it over to Rotella between 750-1000 miles.

Archived