LegacyGT.com

Winter Car - what should I do with it?

I'm also going to echo tires. 5eat on bad tires is very tail happy especially if you try and be cheap and buy 2 tires at a time and throw them on the front instead of the back.

I'll also post a video.

Max capacity, do you have a set of good all seasons you recommend? I want to get some new wheels and tires for mine before winter and I would like some feedback on the boards recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm currently running Pirelli P Zero Neros, and I like how they've been handling so far in the summer/rain. Also not insanely expensive, and they seem to be doing much better than the Proxes 4 plus that I had on the car beforehand, with regards to resilience to the terrible roads here in MA.

That said, I wouldn't use all-seasons in the winter. They're just not comparable to a proper snow-tire, in my experience. Used to have absolutely no problem getting around in my old '02 Corolla with General Arctic Altimax tires in pretty rough snowstorms (bumper-height snow on a FWD crapbox).

I'm currently running Pirelli P Zero Neros, and I like how they've been handling so far in the summer/rain. Also not insanely expensive, and they seem to be doing much better than the Proxes 4 plus that I had on the car beforehand, with regards to resilience to the terrible roads here in MA.

That said, I wouldn't use all-seasons in the winter. They're just not comparable to a proper snow-tire, in my experience. Used to have absolutely no problem getting around in my old '02 Corolla with General Arctic Altimax tires in pretty rough snowstorms (bumper-height snow on a FWD crapbox).

I live in the south. (NC) so for the once or twice a year we get snow everything just shuts down. I mainly want something that's a decent tire for all weather and wont let me down when I get out and play.

Everyone is pointing you in the direction of winter tires based on the title of the thread. Just wanted to make that clear before it looks like a bunch of people screaming all seasons aren't safe at all ever in winter weather. In the LGT case, the OEMs are a horrible tire in the snow and barley last me 3 oil changes with it's super low tread wear number. My car was a turnpike queen so I ended up downgrading to H rated set of tires for the last 2 tire set replacements. Looking back I would totally got steel wheels and a decent set of winter tires if space was provided for storage.

Max capacity, do you have a set of good all seasons you recommend? I want to get some new wheels and tires for mine before winter and I would like some feedback on the boards recommendations.

Your in NC, unless your in the mountains any good all season will be fine. I never had snows on my 92 Honda Civic Si, 98 GT wagon, 00 GT wagon. All those cars went to VT every winter weekend, my son was on a ski racing team. The only reason I put snows on the 05GT wagon is because of the HP.

This year the 05 GT wagon will get Nokian WR G3's. I'm getting them mounted and balanced for $170 each.

My Spec B still has the 5 y/o Conti's DWS's on it, but will get it's Blizzaks this winter, the tread is getting a little low on the Conti's. I don't drive it much in winter time. It will go to VT for the week we are there between xmas and new years. The wagon goes every other weekend.

Depending on your wallet the Conti's are hard to beat. Once you know the tire design of the DWS, look around at other cars, you'll see a lot of them.

I noticed a BWM in line leaving work yesterday with DWS's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My Spec B still has the 5 y/o Conti's DWS's on it, but will get it's Blizzaks this winter, the tread is getting a little low on the Conti's. I don't drive it much in winter time. It will go to VT for the week we are there between xmas and new years. The wagon goes every other weekend.

I wonder if the recommendations for DWS know something that I don't. I probably just had high expectations for them and expected something that would perform more like a tire does in the dry/wet.

Coming from California, my only experience with driving in snow is going up to Tahoe a few times a year. I haven't been happy with my DWS. As long as I am not trying to stop or turn they do well, but once they "Let go" they never grab again.

I am sure a lot of that is my driving (aka, I have no idea how to drive in the snow besides slow down).

They have just been slippery.

This year (if we get any snow) I am planning on running General Altermax Artics on Steelies to get up to the mountains.

LOL remind me to not be near you in the snow. Just as fun as watching the guy with Florida plates trying to rocket down the road in NJ snow hitting every curb along the way and spinning out.

LOL remind me to not be near you in the snow. Just as fun as watching the guy with Florida plates trying to rocket down the road in NJ snow hitting every curb along the way and spinning out.

It's even worse going up to Tahoe and you get everyone from Sacramento and the Bay Area all trying to make it up.

At least I slow down....

Archived