LegacyGT.com

A call to Subaru made a difference (long long story)

I brought my car to the dealership to get it fixed cause my car's ECM ingested some water. after the shim sham they gave me I decided to call Subaru to tell them my story.

Here's a recap:

After I brought my car in, the mechanic took apart the ECM and saw it was wet, dried it.

After 40 minutes, the assistant service manager, Frank Deo, (a lying piece of poo that I just scraped off my foot) tells me he got my car working so I will need to replace the part. I thought to myself later if you got it working would you need to replace it.

The next day I went there in the morning to tell him to replace it. I told him I forgot something in my car just so I can go in there write down the serial number on the ECM making sure they actually replace it. According to them it was working and to talk to the service tech working on my car to make sure it was defective. The tech next to my car said if I was there to pick it up because he said it was driving fine. I said no, I was getting that part replaced and then immediately his tone changed and agreed it should be replaced. The service tech came out and with the service manager and they seem to give me the shim sham there. First it was that part needed to be replaced only and then giving me crap about it might not fix it now. I also asked for the old ECM and he gave me the BS about core charge. If I'm buying it new, there's no core charge especially on a non servicable item like this.

I called Subaru the next day and told them my story. Then 2 days later, I was called by Frank saying they didn't need to replace the part now and just a re-programming which I'm not even sure they did probably cleared it out but the car doesn't drive like it even when new so I wonder what they did if anything.

When I went to pick it up I wasn't even talking to him only staring and using hand gestures, his tone was so different towards me like I am the king. But I am insulted already thinking I'm some dumb schmuck w/ dollar signs on top of my head, he didn't need to humor me about my car and put a fake smile. It's already too late to be my friend and I wanted to get out as soon as possible.

So from a potentially $1k become $400 something to reprogram it and other stupid fees.

One thing I didn't tell Subaru, I asked how long I can keep the car there. He said up to 2 weeks with no charge then he hinted that if I don't tell Subaru then he'll keep it quiet. While I am disgusted by this incident I also hate how they milk the corporate for a few more bucks for something we all pay for.

If anyone from Subaru reads this, they should investigate if the cars that sit there for warranty service sits there longer than usual.

I hope that every Subaru service center can be a place I can bring my car w/o getting a feeling that I'm going to get raped. <insert jedimaster's rape pic> I should be able to bring my car there knowing they should be able to fix it properly and not replace everything. The service techs didn't know squat about my car, mine has a H6 and slower than a WRX and they said they wanted to buy it. Pssh, I don't know what's worse. Knowing I'm getting ripped off by techs that doesn't even know what's inside the car I guess as long as they can read the service manuals.

One thing I notice is that dealerships almost always replaces parts. They never said anything about fixing cause it's not in the manual.

Please don't bring your car to Hillside Subaru. It may be a good place to buy but never ever bring it in for service or you're going to get raped...seems like they're more interested in your dollars than actually helping you.

You've been warned!

If anyone from Subaru reads this, they should investigate if the cars that sit there for warranty service sits there longer than usual.

i heard this site is monitored by SOA (rumour has it that Tide is a spy from FHI)...

This Space For Rent

If you don't feel that your dealer is providing you proper service, call Subaru and have them assign a case # to your repair/concern so that they can track it. Usually a call from corporate (or just a mention that you have a case #) will often get a dealer doing the right thing.

Ken

Subaru has regional tech reps that support the dealer network. I suspect you need to get in touch with one and discuss your concerns. The one I met last week says they all instructed to look at this board, but are not allowed to post. So, your post might get read, but it might not do you any good. I'd suggest pushing your dealer to find who your local SOA tech rep is and have them call you. You can probably also do this by calling SOA directly.

Not completely different, Continental Subaru in Anchorage did the right thing when I had a problem their service dept was not acknowledging.

My Homelink rear-view mirror was not dimming for anything other than high-beam headlights in my blind spot or low-flying aircraft with landing lights on. I suspected the sensor was in the wrong position.

Whenever their techs would test the mirror it would involve a flashlight directly on the sensor causing the mirror to work instantly.

Three trips for the same problem resulted in no mirror replacement but they scheduled and appointment for me to meet with the regional Subaru advisor.

Unfortunately, on the day of the appointment, she canceled and I was not notified. The options the service department came up with were not acceptable to me. One required me to pay for replacement, the other required me to leave my car so one of the techs could drive it home at night and no free loaner.

I talked to the Continental Subaru GM and he apologized and promised to call back in "4-minutes and 37 seconds."

Less than 3-minutes later he told me the mirror would be replaced, and the part was on order. My appointment is when the part comes in next week.

That's customer service.

My question is,,how did the ECM get wet?? Shouldnt that be totaly covered by warranty?

Rudy

Not if he left the window opened...or spilled something, or lived in New Orleans and got his car flooded. There can be no "normal" explanation for the ECM getting wet....it's inside the car.

It wasn't covered under warranty but the fact that it did or did not I shouldn't have been treated that way. Just becareful of how deep of a puddle you want to drive cause the ECM is located at the foot of the passenger footwell.

If you forded water with the car, then it sounds like a comprehensive insurance claim to me, not a warranty claim.

The ECM is supposed to be watertight with watertight connectors. I don't understand how this would be a problem from driving through a puddle.. if your car sank to the bottom of a lake, well maybe some water would find its way in.

Actually, I don't believe this is true. ECMs mounted inside the passenger cabin aren't expected to survive the environment that an underhood ECM would. The only place you'll see watertight connectors is underhood or elsewhere outside the cabin. Temperature requirements are also relaxed as well (-40 to 85 C vs 105C or more)

Most likely, the PCB has conformal coat and/or potting. However, there are certain areas of the board which might not be conformal coated due to part requirements. Water can enter the connector cutout on the case pretty easily.

It is possible, if the ECM box it not airtight and the car is in a very humid and hot place - then a quick tempiture change due to AC could cause condensation in the ECM box.

I don't know if conformal coating is used - it usually runs about $.5 to $.20 to conformal coat a PCB - so it might not be CC if Subi engineers feel it would not be needed since the ECM is inside the car.

Archived