LegacyGT.com

Help me paint my calipers!

MTBwrench

What color should I paint my brakes?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What color should I paint my brakes?

• Silver caliper, silver bracket
    • Silver caliper, red bracket
    • Silver caliper, black bracket
    • Black on black on black on black
    • Other

As some of you may have seen in my build thread, I'm doing a much deserved LGT brake conversion on my Outback. I bough some used calipers off the classifieds, and decided I want to paint them to freshen them up, and have a nice clean look. I'll be using Dupli-Color epoxy ceramic caliper paint, but I don't know which color to choose!

The options are:

1)silver caliper, silver bracket

2)Silver caliper, red bracket (my brain says this is cool)

3)silver caliper, black bracket (probably the most OEM looking)

4)black on black on black on black

5)other

I don't want it to look all ricecar, I just want a nice clean look. The stock OBXT rims do a great job of making it hard to see the brakes in the first place, anyways.. If you have another idea please post up.

the subject in question:

16411856907_c31abe7ab0_c.jpg

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

I have a brand new G2 kit in black. I just did mine two weeks ago. One kit is more than enough to do everything (rotor hats included!)

PM me if you want the kit. I think I paid $38 on Amazon last month.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I have a brand new G2 kit in black. I just did mine two weeks ago. One kit is more than enough to do everything (rotor hats included!)

PM me if you want the kit. I think I paid $38 on Amazon last month.

Hmmmm... Keep me on the backburner. Once I make a decision I may have to take you up on that :)

How was the prep work? The calipers I have are a little crusty.

Finally another loved xt as dirty as mine!

Also, what's all requird in the swap? Lgt calipers and new pads and rotors?

Sent from my XT1028

Yeah, here in Chicago with the winters as nasty as they are, followed by one of the wettest springs I've ever experienced, it doesn;t get much washing. And if it does, well... it doesn't stay clean for long. :rolleyes:

As far as the swap is concerned, you'll need:

-LGT calipers (duh)

-LGT caliper mounting brackets (the obxt ones are not the correct size)

-LGT size rotors of your choice (I did DBA 4000 T3 up front, centric in back)

-LGT size pads of your choice (I did Hawk HPS 5.0 street performance)

-Some brake fluid (I did ATE TYP200 amber)

All together in in for ~$200 more than just buying all the same stuff for the stock setup. Well worth it, IMO. And it fits under our wheels!

So far, I'm leaning towards black or silver, to avoid riceyness. I think Silver would look best for an OEM look, black best for a nice stealthy look.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

I'm equally on the fence as you, silver would be oem, but might still stand out, where black would hide but might stick out as non-standard.

I think silver with those stock wheels. If you desired some thin spokes, i'd be back on the fence between black and silver.

Sent from my XT1028

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Prep was really easy but my calipers weren't very bad, they had just started to rust in a few spots.

I left the calipers and lines attached but removed them from the brackets and removed the brackets from the car. I wire brushed everything then cleaned it with the stuff in the G2 kit. Tape off the brake lines and bleeders. Then three coats (I had a little bit of lacquer left over) on everything. The stuff goes on very easily. The only drawback is a 24hr cure time.

It's crazy how much better they look. The black makes them pretty much disappear behind the wheel. I've tried to keep my exterior mods clean and subtle - "understated aggression" is what I call it. You don't notice it unless you're really looking for it.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

If you don't want to look ricey, then stick with black or silver. I have black on my calipers so they don't stand out and to keep a stealth profile.

Yea, I'll bet it looks like you ain't got no brakes when driving on the highway...LOL

I have silver and silver on both cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Plan on doing mine in orange or copper.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

There's a guy on my block that had his calipers painted Brembo gold, on his pearl white CTS. For stock calipers, I think it really looked fantastic, but only with the right body color. Not sure how it would agree with red...

Yea, I'll bet it looks like you ain't got no brakes when driving on the highway...LOL

I have silver and silver on both cars.

After much Google images research, I'm leaning towards all silver, as it looks the closest to OEM. However, the swap is on hold for now pending new engine issues (knock/misfire)... Once I get that sorted I'll worry about brakes. The pads/rotors came in yesterday though! Good motivation...

Yea, I've been following your other thread about that. Sucks they used the wrong spec's

Meh, that's alright, so long as it's easily fixable! This build is really teaching me a lesson about taking things in stride.

I I boxed one rotor for motivational purposes. Holy rotor, Batman!!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/10/e0349410c591130fa369ebab09282ba5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If my wagon wasn't red, and got a Brembo swap, it would definitely be red calipers. Something about them just looks cool to me. I'm still leaning towards silver... I think it'll look very clean behind the wheels. And I like my brakes to be seen, versus the stealthy look.

That is, until the Hawk pads dust the hell out of everything...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As some of you may have seen in my build thread, I'm doing a much deserved LGT brake conversion on my Outback. I bough some used calipers off the classifieds, and decided I want to paint them to freshen them up, and have a nice clean look. I'll be using Dupli-Color epoxy ceramic caliper paint, but I don't know which color to choose!

The options are:

1)silver caliper, silver bracket

2)Silver caliper, red bracket (my brain says this is cool)

3)silver caliper, black bracket (probably the most OEM looking)

4)black on black on black on black

5)other

I don't want it to look all ricecar, I just want a nice clean look. The stock OBXT rims do a great job of making it hard to see the brakes in the first place, anyways.. If you have another idea please post up.

the subject in question:

16411856907_c31abe7ab0_c.jpg

7) black caliper red bracket

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Archived