LegacyGT.com

MY07-09 clutch kit in a MY05

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They need to see if the tranny works. You don't have a clutch issue, you have a internal tranny issue.

If they turn the propeller shaft and the front wheels don't spin. something is wrong in the tranny.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I believe that they said that. They turned the propeller shaft, and nothing spun. So they attributed the issue to MY supplied parts. I will be interested to see what happens when they finally get around to installing the DMFW kit they ordered!

Their claim was that the input shaft MUST be spinning, but it was too short for the splines to connect with the clutch disk, or for the tip of the input shaft to reach the pilot bearing of the flywheel...

LOL

Looking side-on, is the pilot bearing in the SMFW the same distance from the engine side of the flywheel as on the DMFW? I'd think it would be.

The joke will be on them when they put in the DMFW and find out that that doesn't work either. That is if they don't realize their mistake in the gearbox and fix it without telling you.

They may have realized their mistake in the transmission already after I called them... in which case they are still going to put in the dual mass because they get more money that way. They may have already found that the DMFW does not work either and are scrambling to repair my transmission.

I don't think you're an idiot - many of us have successfully done the swap. Something else is wonky. Either that or mine is barely meshing...

How did he verify the measurements? I should point out that the tech who questioned mine is also a Subaru master tech...

Wish I could put eyes on it to better understand the problem. If I was still up in Ayer I might have been able to make the trip.

Thanks for the vote of confidence regarding parts! Funny thing is I used to work as the legacygt.com forum guy for FredBeans and they are my go-to wholesale distributor when I don't need parts same/next day. Accidents definitely happen, but it sounds like we still don't know if this problem is with the parts themselves (i.e. The 883 could be a direct succession of 881).

Yes. What it seems here is that the problem was solved by staying with the DMFW setup, but there is still a mystery as to why the SMFW kit with confirmed part numbers did not work. I will take photos of the parts before I send them back. Maybe we will be able to figure out the issue from that. Keep eyes on this thread for the next couple of days! I still want to figure out why the heck this did not work...

Photos would be great. Any chance you can get your hands on a digital caliper to measure the thickness of the friction disc? Some good close-ups of the part numbers/markings would be great :)

I wish I took more photos but I didn't think about it at the time. Here's the part number marked on the OEM LGT 2007+ Clutch ordered through the dealer.

Also attached is the old DMFW mounted on the engine - as you can see the pilot bearing is quite deep, and I don't see how the same on the SMFW cold be any further back.

274260115_ExedyClutch.thumb.jpg.4a821545dc6e78775302070be7266b8e.jpg

589717508_DMFWonengine.thumb.jpg.e77d772b17e22c2e68eaf4fa23f0b18d.jpg

For the record, here's what a broken main shaft and a new main shaft looks like. Mine broke just before 3rd gear.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5291_zpsb1f144a1.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived