LegacyGT.com

Setting up the LGT for SCCA Classes (D Street -> STX -> ASP -> SM)

Dujo

• I Donated
yeah, i know marc. :lol:;) classic case of good car, bad driver, but ill leave it at that.;)

Marc is a good guy, but yeah there are usually better drivers in his car. Also he drops way too much money on stupid shit on it. Like the intake he spent 2 grand getting custom built to be class legal...

why not do some JRZs from karcepts / Brian Karwan. i think thats what Nick Barbato ran in his CD's CR when he swept STR nationally a couple years ago.

I looked at those, but I found a really good deal on the revalved ohlins. Performance shock inc in CA will do a revalved set for 2300 bucks, out of the box JRZs are a grand more to start. Trying to make my budget for the whole build around 6 grand before tires.

I am planning on getting Karwan's greddy emanage/harness/tune if I don't find something else for EMS though, and probably the energy suspension front/rear bushings, and probably the camber ball joints from him as well if I can't find them elsewhere. Just made my WTB thread on the sandbox for all the STR S2000 fire sales after Nats, so we'll see what I get there.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sgt.Gator ran the race wagon in SM at a early event. I think the race weight is 3200 with driver and fuel.

replacing the stock glass with lexan and stripping out other non-essential stuff would save a few pounds more. Going single exhaust would help too.

Even tho it has the lights, etc to be street-legal, I can't imagine driving it on the street. If only based on driving the spec miata on the street (no windows, no door locks, no e-brake, crazy loud, etc)

• 2 months later...

im torn between different version of the MZR platform. the factory MZR 2.0L can make 300-325whp, and built it can do 400whp. a built 2.5 MZR can do much more and have more torque earlier, but it is rev limited to around 7500-7800 rpm. the 2.0L can to 8500rpm with upgraded valve springs all day long. Since gearing is short on the 6mt, and the 6mt strength is needed to handle power, 8000rpm or more is needed to get to 60mph in 2nd depending on tire diameter.

once thing that can be done is to de-stroke a 2.5 with a 2.3 crank. that lowers max piston speed, which will allow the rotating assembly to rev over 8krpm but keep the big 2.5L piston. there are alot of wacky combos being talked about on the forums. turbo kit is 1st though. id love even 300whp in a 2450lb car. imagine a LGT with fully supported vf52, but 1000lbs+ less.

^i may stop off in CSP on the way depending on mod order.

ssm is a distant dream at this point. the NC in STR appears to be not nationally competitive anymore. so i want to get to place where i have a pinacle car for the class. i know what the 2015 SSM nat-champ had to go through as he is local to NNJR. I see a clear mod path to get to that level and i already have a weight advantage.

• 4 weeks later...

And the LGT wagon is done autocrossing. 290awhp + 6 puck + RE71Rs + 4K rpm launches = 5MT is toast. Could spend a bunch (a very large bunch) of cash to take care of a long list of issues in addition to a replacement transmission. Or I could take that bunch and get something lighter.

Anybody got a line on a nice 1999 or 2000 NB1 Mazda Miata with 5MT, limited slip, and less than 100,000 miles?

(And since I'm too dumb to do the smart thing and part out this pile of rust, I will be looking to do the bottom-dollar replacement fuel tank and used 100,000 mile 5MT and I will baby that sucker on minimal street duty for as long as I can.)

I know, right? This is really ahead of the schedule I had in mind to get the lighter car. I was really looking to campaign at least one more season, if not two, in SM in the LGT, but I just can't see my way toward $6000-$10,000 on the LGT this year and a new (to me) Miata next year or the following for another $5000-$8000. Truly the smart thing to do would be to part out the LGT wagon to pay for the Miata, but I really don't want to give up on this car I've owned for 12 years and paid for twice now. I'm a little too emotionally attached. Oh well, it will still see some fun street duty going to the dump and running errands to Home Depot.

Meanwhile, I have cash now and more importantly, wife approval to get the Miata. So, long-term plans remain the same, they have just become short-term goals now.

There's a burgundy 2000 NB1 in St. Paul with 18,000 miles for $10,500 asking. It is super nice. But it is 6MT and it costs way more than I have approval to spend. Honestly, it's too nice for what I want. But, boy is it nice. It's definitely calling my name. I need to stay strong though. ;) 60,000 - 90,000 miles is gonna be much more reasonably priced and much better for what I want. Haven't quite found one yet that's perfectly what I want, but I've only been looking for about 4 days. Have until April to narrow it down. Plenty of fish in the Mazda sea.

Probably looking to go ES next year with an option on STR the following year.

p.s. Bucko - don't think that I didn't seriously consider an S2000. That really is an awesome car and I'm sure awesome good fun on the autox course. In the end, I just think Miata is a little more in line with what I want to do and what I want to spend over the next 5 years on this nonsense. ;)

• I Donated
I'm 100% in favor of miata over s2000. Don't get one that's too nice or I fear you'll feel bad about racing it. 5MT is the way to go. As long as you know that the NB won't be competitive in STR and you're ok with that, then go for it. ES will be good for you for sure, street class teaches you a lot about weight transfer and managing it. Go for LSD if you can, that open diff life is no fun.

I'm 100% in favor of miata over s2000. Don't get one that's too nice or I fear you'll feel bad about racing it. 5MT is the way to go. As long as you know that the NB won't be competitive in STR and you're ok with that, then go for it. ES will be good for you for sure, street class teaches you a lot about weight transfer and managing it. Go for LSD if you can, that open diff life is no fun.

didnt they more the NB over to STS? maybe im wrong.

My understanding is that basically Miatas without (torsen) LSD are in STS and those with it (torsen) are in STR. It may not quite be that though since I admit I'm not nearly as familiar with the details of the Miata classing. Regardless, STS or STR doesn't really matter to me. I'm not winning either of those classes any year soon anyway. Mostly, I'm looking for the car that satisfies my aesthetics and is 5-speed and has limited-slip. Wherever that ends up classing me is where I'll be and I'll either lose to Wagstaff in one or lose to White in the other. ;)

Archived