LegacyGT.com

Setting up the LGT for SCCA Classes (D Street -> STX -> ASP -> SM)

Dujo

...since even (apparently) my JmP VF46 Custom automatically throws me into SM...

I also have a JmP custom turbo now (mine's used though). ;) I'm in SM with you. In fact, I believe we are now pretty comparably set up. And yes, it annoys me that I can't compete in STX with my VF46 and street tires. I just chalk it up to some of the strangeness of SCCA classing versus common street mods. Besides, I plan to go ball bearing for next year, in which case, I really will belong in SM, albeit still ill-prepared to beat Panda's cut fenders and superwide Hoosiers.

on page 182 of the current rules

As a fun little aside, the cover of this year's rulebook has Billy Davis driving a blue Miata (the top photo). Billy is by far our region's (New England Region) fastest driver in an extremely well prepared NB Miata in CSP. He is the adult son of our region's Solo Chief Steward. Billy and that car won a National Championship last year in CSP. In fact, he was the top PAX at Nationals last year. I believe Tamra Hunt also won a Ladies National Championship in CSPL in that car as well.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, this is continued from the North East spotted thread so we're not cluttering that up with autocross. http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5445869&postcount=9660

Bucko had asked me what wheel/tire combo I ended up getting. So this is it:

Prodrive GC-06H, 17x8 +43 w/RE71R 245/40R17 :eek::redface::rolleyes::cool:

I do feel like this is a fairly aggressive fitment, but I've still got my fingers crossed that I can make it work with only a fender roll and no fender pull. Hopefully.

Wheels and tires are mounted. I need to put them on the car again and look at 'em more closely, but I believe they do not touch the suspension as is, but there is a fair bit of poke out the fender well.

That should fit fine. I have 235/40R18's on an 18x7.5 ET38 wheel. Offset-wise the tire should sit in about the same spot as yours, although mine are larger diameter and more balloony because 7.5in wheel.

With the front camber bolts maxed out, there is pretty much zero poke up front, and no rubbing after I put my swift springs in. You're probably going to be running more camber than I am, so you're fine.

Out back was rubbing until I rolled the fenders.

I'll try to get out with my legacy a few times this season, even though I really should just replace the brake lines on my accord and bring that.

• I Donated
check my post #50 above

There's probably something somewhere that says if there's a conflict that it's in the higher of the two classes. Sucks because LGT is probably better in ESP than ASP where it will be buried. Meh, not a huge deal to me, but certainly interesting!

to be honest, with the newer 5.0L 400hp mustangs, the LGT is outclassed in ESP as well. the only time the LGT has a shot is at a Pro-Solo even with drag launch starts where AWD launches gets you .5 sec advantage. at a regular or national type event, the LGT is just not powerful enough at stage 2.5 levels.

to be honest, with the newer 5.0L 400hp mustangs, the LGT is outclassed in ESP as well. the only time the LGT has a shot is at a Pro-Solo even with drag launch starts where AWD launches gets you .5 sec advantage. at a regular or national type event, the LGT is just not powerful enough at stage 2.5 levels.

I feel ASP is actually a better place for the LGT considering it's not a typo being on the same line with the STI. Going with a factory STI turbo would mean an ASP LGT should be significantly faster than an ESP LGT.

I'd love to see a full SP trimmed LGT. No one has gone full SP trim yet. It will require a lot of money, time, and testing but in the end it would be a formidable car.

• I Donated
I feel ASP is actually a better place for the LGT considering it's not a typo being on the same line with the STI. Going with a factory STI turbo would mean an ASP LGT should be significantly faster than an ESP LGT.

I'd love to see a full SP trimmed LGT. No one has gone full SP trim yet. It will require a lot of money, time, and testing but in the end it would be a formidable car.

Wasn't whitetiger's most of the way SP prepped? Also, how would the factory STI turbo be legal in ASP? I didn't think they were on the same line.

^concerning the turbo, its a debate in the term "line" as in line of the rule book or Model line. i think its model line.

i was making full prep power and had all the suspension/driveline stuff, but i could have done alot of weight reduction and fender work to fit 285 wide tires and maintain usable suspension travel. my car was 3277lbs race prep on balance scales, no driver and 1/4 tank. car need to be south of 3200lbs and have 285 or wider hoosier A7's with power/driveline and full suspension work.

Wasn't whitetiger's most of the way SP prepped? Also, how would the factory STI turbo be legal in ASP? I didn't think they were on the same line.

Yep, technically thats all the same line.

His car was still very street worthy. In full SP trim you are just an interior gut away from being a real race car minus seam welding and cage.

To really be competitive, a LGT need to be under 3000lbs. Mine was at 3327 IIRC with a full trunk, Rotas, perrin dp, MR CBE, and BCs. ESP WRXs are around 2800lbs.

I bet a full SP LGT could get right around 3000lbs. And we're talking pulling out all the stops here...single 3in exhaust, elh headers, lightweight seats, battery, control arms, steering wheel, calipers, non vented rotors, stereo delete, ac delete, no washer fluid, fog light delete, spoiler delete, etc. A non-ltd with no sunroof would be optimal. Wheels are probably only going to be marginally lighter than stock once you go 18x10+. Then get really radical. Ditch the swaybars for some 1000lb springs

• I Donated
^^ we have a local member using it as "same line in the book". It's a LGT with a VF52 in ASP. Runs with NHSCCA and I think NER sometimes.

Interesting, I don't think I've seen that car at NER unless it's really not prepped.

Im not sure that he get's down there that much, but it's not crazy prepped. 255 Rs or something and sub 10k rates. He runs a lot with NHSCCA, but he's local to ME and runs with CMC quite a bit too. Just pointing out that NHSCCA accepts the turbo as SP legal.

I'm planning more trips down there soon with my G. Our Loring AFB event is coming up and I'm not sure I can get any in this year. But next year is 1000+ rates and hopefully take-off Rs (if not, another set of 275 re71rs) and I'll have to venture down to get best use out of them.

Lots of NER guys coming up for Loring.

• I Donated
Oh yeah.. And I've been working on Mr. B's s2k tune. ;)

I did see that! Sounds like he's a lot happier with it now. I won't be at loring, that's the weekend before lemons at thompson for me. I can't wait to beat him again next year in STR :lol::lol::lol:

I did see that! Sounds like he's a lot happier with it now. I won't be at loring, that's the weekend before lemons at thompson for me. I can't wait to beat him again next year in STR :lol::lol::lol:

We picked up a bunch down low on the low cam. And the overall curve is much more smooth. But once VTEC kicked in, curves aren't much different. The old tune was fairly aggressive already up there. Granted the 1st pull (baseline on old tune) was at least 20 deg cooler in the dyno bay. Back to back at the end of the day might have shown more gains.

I'm sure he's thrilled about your STR plans. The red one they are bringing up with R comps on it should be fun to watch.

I bet a full SP LGT could get right around 3000lbs. And we're talking pulling out all the stops here...single 3in exhaust, elh headers, lightweight seats, battery, control arms, steering wheel, calipers, non vented rotors, stereo delete, ac delete, no washer fluid, fog light delete, spoiler delete, etc. A non-ltd with no sunroof would be optimal. Wheels are probably only going to be marginally lighter than stock once you go 18x10+. Then get really radical. Ditch the swaybars for some 1000lb springs

i find it hard to see the LGT cracking the 3100lb mark without breaking SP rules. Either way, once you go down the rabbit hole of tire fitment and weight reduction, the car becomes unsaleable to anyone other than a race car buyer. this is why i never took that leap. true full-SP prep cars are trailer queens.

• I Donated
i find it hard to see the LGT cracking the 3100lb mark without breaking SP rules. Either way, once you go down the rabbit hole of tire fitment and weight reduction, the car becomes unsaleable to anyone other than a race car buyer. this is why i never took that leap. true full-SP prep cars are trailer queens.

There's one guy in the region that still drives his to and from events, but I'm fairly sure that's because he doesn't have the cash for a tow vehicle and trailer. Marc Monnar, white DSP RX-8. 100% agree with you though, true SP cars aren't really daily drivable anymore. That pretty much ends at ST cars, and even then there's lots you can do that makes it very non-street friendly.

• I Donated
I hardly drive the M3 on the street anymore, and now I'm putting stiffer springs on it.

I'll be putting revalved ohlin DFV with 800/700 on the S2000 for next year. Out of the box they adjust compression and rebound at the same time, but the revalving makes them rebound only. I can adjust compression with springs if necessary, and there's no way I'm dropping twice as much money on penskes for true double adjustability.

There's one guy in the region that still drives his to and from events, but I'm fairly sure that's because he doesn't have the cash for a tow vehicle and trailer. Marc Monnar, white DSP RX-8. 100% agree with you though, true SP cars aren't really daily drivable anymore. That pretty much ends at ST cars, and even then there's lots you can do that makes it very non-street friendly.

yeah, i know marc. :lol:;) classic case of good car, bad driver, but ill leave it at that.;)

I'll be putting revalved ohlin DFV with 800/700 on the S2000 for next year. Out of the box they adjust compression and rebound at the same time, but the revalving makes them rebound only. I can adjust compression with springs if necessary, and there's no way I'm dropping twice as much money on penskes for true double adjustability.

why not do some JRZs from karcepts / Brian Karwan. i think thats what Nick Barbato ran in his CD's CR when he swept STR nationally a couple years ago.

Archived