LegacyGT.com

LED H7 Headlight Conversion

amm203

Let me know what size fits for you & thanks for doing the trial and error on these. It's funny - during rain or snow the headlight assemblies don't get fogged up at all. However, if I go to a car wash (whether it's brushless or not) they get fogged up pretty badly. Finding a legitimate cap replacement would be great.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow good find. I'll take some measurements next week (no plans on working on the subie with the snow coming - too much fun to be had lol)

I did fool around with the SNGL bulbs a bit today. (no time to fully install)

First impressions - solid kit. Good quality - all casting/construction, etc is flawless. Longevity unknown. One thing to note - the ballast gets super hot. I'm going to write the vendor and ask if this is normal. Was too hot to pick up while I was testing... but no heatsinking or anything on it. My assessment of quality may change based on this answer.

Now, onto some notes: DRL dims it to the point of flickering. No good for our particular system.

Initial install is almost certainly going to be a headlights out affair. adjustments thereafter should be fine. The adjustment collar is also the H7 base. There's a set screw that has to be tightened, but once you do, you can no longer latch it in with the pressure clip, lol. If you clip it in place first, you can't get to the set screw easily. I'll probably shave a small tab out of the h7 holder so i can get to the set screw.

Overall brightness - I'll say this - they are every bit as bright as the HID kits i've had in other projector equipped cars. They are heads and shoulders brighter than the +30 osrams in there now*. Output is cool white - a little cooler than I'd like, but not really blue to the naked eye. I'm pretty impressed without even the slightest bit of aiming or adjusting via the collar.. just roughed in place.

* but it's also a different kind of light. Not nearly as much hot spotting, just a bright even light across and below the cutoff. Because of this - based on my purely unscientific and hand held measurements with a lux meter - within the hotspot - halogens are almost as bright... but taking into account the entire field of view - the LED is more even lighting side, middle, up (to the cutoff) and down. It's also a sharper light - casting crisp edges along shadows.

For pictures - I was just roughing them in place, and doing so curbside and it is freezing out there. I don't have any wall shots (i'll save those for when i pull the headlights) - I just wanted to grab some lux measurements. These pics are crap - just for illustration. It's a cell phone and they are terrible. The osrams look way warmer in the pics than IRL, and the leds look way bluer than IRL. The relative luminance is pretty accurate though. I'll do better, with a real camera, next time.

First - the measurements. Halogen - taken at 1 inch from headlight, and again at 5 feet away. I stayed within the hot spot of the beam.

1135 and 143 respectively. These aren't lumens - it's lux measured in the thousands scale on the meter. It topped out the lower options. Not controlled environment, nor tripod - so it's really just a rough measurement.

LED - same headlamp: 1183 and 254. The up close measurement is pretty damn close, possibly just an attribute of the meter (it averages exposure across it's sensor - which is a 1" diameter photo-style sensor) but the 5' measurement shows the LED with a clear advantage. (pic below just for sample)

http://i.imgur.com/8V2Ot3d.jpg

Now the pic dump. **this is nothing to write home about - really just a few quick shots since this was a very very rough install with no prep, aim, etc**

V - Relative luminance. It's hard to tell because the street itself is very well lit with LEDs of a similar color temp. I'll grab some shots in a darkened area once i install for real. You can however see, on the ground along the right side of the jeep - the sharp shadow cast by the LED on the drivers side is still brighter than the more direct lighting of the halogen passenger side.

http://i.imgur.com/RZZbq2s.jpg

Me stepping into the beam of the LED. You can see that shadow stretch all the way to the stop sign (compare throw with previous. Pretty good - especially since distance is the number one issue LEDs in halogen projectors tend to face.)

http://i.imgur.com/578f8X0.jpg

Halogen only (here's where you can see the throw advantage. the halogens just throw cleaner IMO. It's not drastic, but it's there.) This will be a problem for LEDs until morimoto or someone starts making LED specific projectors - which are focused and shaped differently.

http://i.imgur.com/9YWN7KA.jpg

Bluer than I was hoping, obviously not easy to make out in a picture though. What is your thoughts on their chances of not blinding the crap out of on coming traffic? That is the only thing stopping me, well besides I wish they were a little under 6k

I'll grab more pics when I can with a real camera. May take a while, thanks to the NYC plow that decided I no longer needed my bumper last night... killed the headlight on that side, too.

Anyway - my cell phone's attempts to auto white balance the pics left them looking a lot bluer than they really are. I'd put them about the same color as infinity HIDs. Not as neutral as BMW for instance, but not all that blue, either. The pics absolutely make these look bluer than the naked eye. They also make my +30 night breaker osrams look orangey-pink, which they definitely aren't either lol. All that said - I do wish they were closer to a neutral white like the bmw or mini cooper LEDs.

re: blinding - I wouldn't worry. Adjusted well - these have as good a cutoff as halogens, potentially better as I haven't fully explored the adjustment options. It's pretty sharp.

I'm sourcing another set of lights soon since i have to replace my driver's side now anyway - so i'll be able to do some wall shots without the overhead street lights to interfere. We're buried in 30" of snow at the moment, so that's a little lower on the priority list than hooning with my jeep LOL.

I really don't know how many more times or ways in which i can say the pics are shit and shouldn't be used as anything except a guideline. Reserve judgement until i get get better pics up - no glare in person, just a shit cell phone camera.

Also - re: temp - leds from different batches can vary in temperature. A poor controller would also result in a bluer output, same as with HID. (when my hid ballast started going out - the same bulb which was producing 4300k the day before went purple) - it also depends on how they are measured (and sadly, the industry hasn't really settled on standards in terms of brightness nor color measurement - which is why you can have luminous claims all over the place, and why two bulbs with identical color ratings from different mfr's will also be all over the place in terms of color. Same between technologies - you take 6000k HID and 6000k LED and put them next to eachother - they will look very different. you take a 6000k cheapo hid kit and a 6000k quality hid kit, they'll also look very different. It's more about measurement standards - i would take all claims - lm and k temp alike, with a grain of salt.

Again - reserve judgement until i get them installed properly and take good pictures (which won't happen until after i get the car fixed from the plow damage it took this snowstorm.). I merely posted this as an informational. I might also agree at that point that they aren't so great - but if you're basing anything off the pics - do yourself a favor and don't.

• 3 weeks later...

I also got the SNGL H7's and installed them last week. I'm pretty happy with them so far. They are a little farther towards the blue spectrum than I would prefer, but they're not obnoxious or teenager-style. I think most people would think they are stock. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the dust covers in the long run. I might attach a Tupperware type bowl behind to add some protection.

I also ordered a pair of adjustable color fogs from Diode Dynamics for funsies

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/led-bulbs/listed-by-vehicle/subaru/outback/2010-2013-subaru-outback-multicolor-fog-light-leds

• 1 month later...

Anyone installed the fanless LEDs into the low beams? They use ribbon heatsinks. I don't want to drill into the dust cap. These are just an examples:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Rolinger-5th-Generation-LED-Headlights/dp/B012KF2866/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1460152207]Amazon.com: Rolinger 5th Generation LED Headlights Kit - H7 CREE Bright 40W 360 Degree 5000LM LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit with Flexible Tinned Copper Braid Replacing H7 Halogen & HID Bulbs- Fit for Toyota,Camery,Coralla,Ford,Silverado,Fusion,CRV,Civic,Accord,CHEROKEE: Automotive[/ame]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80W-CREE-LED-Headlight-10000LM-6000K-Drive-Lamps-H1-H4-H7-H8-H11-H13-9005-9006-/321913942536?hash=item4af390f208:g:HUgAAOSw5VFWPXPi&vxp=mtr

Archived