LegacyGT.com

Another broken windshield

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Contacted Subaru "Must be only Subaru OEM only." They stated the Eyesight Manual page 8 & 9.

* To have the front windshield replaced or repaired, contact a Subaru dealer. Do not install a front windshield other than a genuine Subaru windshield. The stereo cameras may not be able to detect objects accurately and the Eyesight system may not operate properly.

I am most certain that they say this just for legal purposes. I think chance of Eyesight failing due to the third party glass is very narrow. There is no rocket science behind of it. it's basically two camera looking out the window. And windows with same shape will have similar distortion and have similar characteristics. If third party glass was bad enough/different enough to fool the Eyesight system, it wouldn't be safe for human eyes either. of course, that is when the third party glass is made to mimic eyesight system windshield in the first place, because they would have to leave the middle part un-shaded for the eyesight.

Yes Rowlette, I saw that section as well in the service manual, but I doubt Safelite or your dealer is ACTUALLY going to be doing that, removing and pulling down/out the EyeSight camera system. In which case, no recalib is going to be needed or even performed by the dealer, at least in actuality, not to say they won't say they did so on the paperwork.

The Service Manager said to me the reprogramming takes about 10 minutes but the alignment calibration and angle verification take around an hour for the recertification. The installers does not mess with the camera and the only time the cameras are remove if there was damaged to the body above them or if one of the cameras were damage from the impact.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

My non eyesight got a crack in it last night. First car in my last 15 or so to have one. I think a rock hit it going about 75mph on a highway. About 10 minutes later a line made its way from the rock hit to the pass side a pillar. This morning the crack started heading towards the drivers side. I guess I need a new one too! I have had many rocks hit my windshield, never one crack like this so fast.

It just the throw of the dice. Since you're not Eyesight equipped Safelite supplied windshield will be fine and from my research very competitive. They also give lifetime warranty against leaks.

Mine is at the dealership today having Safelite install OEM so it can be recalibrated.

I just did a quote on safelite and it said $689. Is that competitive????? I'd think a windshield should cost half that.......

I think mine with eyesite ran my insurance company right around 800.

Welcome to new technology ^^^. EyeSight is pretty cool, but I didn't want the extra costs of everything. The more features cars receive, the more it costs to fix or maintain them. Bummer!

I just did a quote on safelite and it said $689. Is that competitive????? I'd think a windshield should cost half that.......

After mine windshield is installed there is still $157.50 charge for alignment and recalibration of the camera above the cost of the windshield and installation.

So take a deep breath and just call your insurance company and chuck it up as Life.

After mine windshield is installed there is still $157.50 charge for alignment and recalibration of the camera above the cost of the windshield and installation.

So take a deep breath and just call your insurance company and chuch it up as Life.

No point to waste an insurance claim. If i stick with safelite and use the 30% off code, I can get it for $575. My deductible is $500 anyway so ill just pay for it. I'm going to call some mom and pop auto glass companies. Still seems high for a piece of glass.

Do yourself a favor, first contact your insurance agent because most insurance companies has a different deductible for windshield because it is considered a safety issue. I have $500.00 deductible on all my vehicles but I have $00.00 deductible when it comes to the windshield.

The price might seem high but your windshield has a windshield wiper heater/ defroster built into the glass.

I have Farmers and they suck. They only waive the deductable for repairing of chips, not replacement. I keep trying to leave, but their rates are so low that I really can't find anything even close.

Do yourself a favor, first contact your insurance agent because most insurance companies has a different deductible for windshield because it is considered a safety issue. I have $500.00 deductible on all my vehicles but I have $00.00 deductible when it comes to the windshield.

The price might seem high but your windshield has an antenna and windshield wiper heater built into the glass.

The front windshield doesn't have an antenna. Does it?

Also, contacting your insurance about a potential claim, or just asking about a "what if" claim, can also kick your rates up, as it does enter you into a national database of claims that is checked by insurers, I read back in Forbes several years ago. Sounds like BS, but I also read the same in Consumer Reports.

Do I believe everything that I read? Sometimes. :p

Antenna assembly is the shark fin at the back of the roof. There are also some parts in the rear pillars.

Sounds like he knows his insurance contract.

Low rates mean less coverage of high incidence events.

I agree that for a basic windshield the price seems high. Are the third party mfrs making them just as thin and does that mean higher costs for process and material?

Subaru dealer quoted me $375 installed. Looks like I know where I am going.

Ok so I think I figured it out. Seems like the price safelite quoted was because they have two windshields, one standard, and one with the heating element for the heated wipers.

I don see the element, but I do have a loaded LTD with nav, roof, and push button start. The dealer tried to check by vin, and said they couldn't tell. Tech said if you have heated mirrors you probably have a heated windshield, but that doesn't look right.

Can anyone confirm if our limiteds have heated wipers and we just cant see it?

Antenna assembly is the shark fin at the back of the roof. There are also some parts in the rear pillars.

Sounds like he knows his insurance contract.

Low rates mean less coverage of high incidence events.

I agree that for a basic windshield the price seems high. Are the third party mfrs making them just as thin and does that mean higher costs for process and material?

The shark fin is suppose to be the receptor for the key fob, the radio antenna is located in the top portion of the rear windshield. I wasn't aware of any parts in the rear pillars, but would make sense as that's where the rear filaments lead to.

For the insurance coverage, glass coverage can be added/separated by a separate rider, outside of other comprehensive/collision coverage, with it's own deductible, as I assume that is what Rowlette has/refers to.

I currently have a no deductible glass coverage rider with my comprehensive coverage. So, if any glass/windows break/crack/shatter, I can have them replaced with no deductible. For me, I believe it was just an extra $2-3 per month in premiums for that glass rider. And seems well worth with the prices being quote for replacements. :spin:

As for the heating elements, lift your windshield wipers and you'll see about 3-4 bronze/brown lines in the glass itself directly where the wipers rest, those are the heating elements. You can see them during the sunlight or with a flashlight.

Subaru dealer quoted me $375 installed. Looks like I know where I am going.

Ok so I think I figured it out. Seems like the price safelite quoted was because they have two windshields, one standard, and one with the heating element for the heated wipers.

I don see the element, but I do have a loaded LTD with nav, roof, and push button start. The dealer tried to check by vin, and said they couldn't tell. Tech said if you have heated mirrors you probably have a heated windshield, but that doesn't look right.

Can anyone confirm if our limiteds have heated wipers and we just cant see it?

I can confirm!

Also, lift up the wipers and look at the black glass area when the sun is out, you will be able to see the heating elements. They are there.

The shark fin is suppose to be the receptor for the key fob, the radio antenna is located in the top portion of the rear windshield. I wasn't aware of any parts in the rear pillars, but would make sense as that's where the rear filaments lead to.

A little off topic, but informative...

So I was getting my info from this schematic, listed as "Audio Parts (Antenna)":

http://parts.subaru.com/images/parts/subaru/fullsize/B15_86301126.png

Parts in the Pillar are an amplifier (left) and a noise suppressor (right).

I was pretty sure the little fin on top was the antenna for the XM radio and the regualr AM/FM antenna was in the back window... and I think that diagram confirms it.

Could always be wrong though! :)

Archived