LegacyGT.com

Another broken windshield

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Subaru dealer quoted me $375 installed. Looks like I know where I am going.

Ok so I think I figured it out. Seems like the price safelite quoted was because they have two windshields, one standard, and one with the heating element for the heated wipers.

I don see the element, but I do have a loaded LTD with nav, roof, and push button start. The dealer tried to check by vin, and said they couldn't tell. Tech said if you have heated mirrors you probably have a heated windshield, but that doesn't look right.

Can anyone confirm if our limiteds have heated wipers and we just cant see it?

$375 installed??? I don't know about all that.

I found one of the cheapest priced windshields around...

I just bought a windshield myself and paid $362 because you NEED the weatherstripping which is another $50. That was for the glass and trim piece Only. Shipping was same price as tax so that makes no difference. You def need the trim. I installed it myself and there is no removing the old trim.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc86/rfoker/CrackedWindshield/29c6cc92-6edf-4e4d-8842-c2e49aa04bdb_zps6hnqqqik.jpg~original

Safelite charged $75 for removal and $75 for installation plus tax plus $24.95 for mobile service. They didn't even want to give me the commercial rate but I had to argue with them. Total install out of pocket was $550 but luckily Subaru covered that under a good faith warranty in hopes to keep me as a Subaru customer.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc86/rfoker/CrackedWindshield/63b92874-b062-4ddb-934b-227296a1780d_zpsw7vs7xwz.jpg~original

Safelite quoted me $868 or something ridiculous for OEM glass installed going through insurance.

Delaer quoted SOA $609 plus tax.

I got it done for $550 including all taxes/fees.

I don't see how you could be that much cheaper especially since Safelite charges $150 plus $24.95 for mobile service which is what the dealer pays because no dealer installs glass. it's a safety concern and I believe it's controlled and requires some sort of safety training to become certified.

$375 installed??? I don't know about all that.

I found one of the cheapest priced windshields around...

I just bought a windshield myself and paid $362 because you NEED the weatherstripping which is another $50. That was for the glass and trim piece Only. Shipping was same price as tax so that makes no difference. You def need the trim. I installed it myself and there is no removing the old trim.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc86/rfoker/CrackedWindshield/29c6cc92-6edf-4e4d-8842-c2e49aa04bdb_zps6hnqqqik.jpg~original

Safelite charged $75 for removal and $75 for installation plus tax plus $24.95 for mobile service. They didn't even want to give me the commercial rate but I had to argue with them. Total install out of pocket was $550 but luckily Subaru covered that under a good faith warranty in hopes to keep me as a Subaru customer.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc86/rfoker/CrackedWindshield/63b92874-b062-4ddb-934b-227296a1780d_zpsw7vs7xwz.jpg~original

Safelite quoted me $868 or something ridiculous for OEM glass installed going through insurance.

Delaer quoted SOA $609 plus tax.

I got it done for $550 including all taxes/fees.

I don't see how you could be that much cheaper especially since Safelite charges $150 plus $24.95 for mobile service which is what the dealer pays because no dealer installs glass. it's a safety concern and I believe it's controlled and requires some sort of safety training to become certified.

Dealer sends it somewhere, and they price of $375 only applies if you buy a base Legacy, which almost nobody buys because they barely even get those. The Premium and up all have the heated glass, so the price is $589 installed. Each dealer can be different because it all depends on which local auto glass shop they use.

Now about the insurance riders for glass, no matter what type of claim you file, it is still a claim, and claims are bad. Consumers get screwed by insurance companies all the time based on their claims history. If a claim is under a grand, it typically isn't worth filing. Licensed insurance pro for the last 10 years. I don't do this type of insurance anymore but I have seen plenty of sob stories from people who thought they were fine.

My Partner works for one of the largest national insurance providers and we made a claim on our Crosstrek for one of the small cargo-area windows ($414 at Subaru Dealer). It was replaced for $0. It's a claim that's under $2,000 and it's also not a Comprehensive Claim. At least in our case, we are positive that this is not going to affect us negatively in anyway.

My Partner works for one of the largest national insurance providers and we made a claim on our Crosstrek for one of the small cargo-area windows ($414 at Subaru Dealer). It was replaced for $0. It's a claim that's under $2,000 and it's also not a Comprehensive Claim. At least in our case, we are positive that this is not going to affect us negatively in anyway.

Any claim is a claim. State Farm cancelled one of my customers over their 3rd claim in a 3 year period. 2 of those claims were Towing and were less than $200.

I am not saying that these claims will get YOU cancelled. I am just saying that all claims can lead to problems. Insurers are scum, and the government allows them to be.....

^^^ I worked for an insurer for a few years - they just did a bit of Auto, but there's a whole other side to things. Alot of people don't care what the contract says, they just want their claim paid no matter what. Others are bent on fraud, but the majority of claims really do go smoothly. But some insurers are better than others for sure, just like the insured!

Dealer just called me and told me that they got the wrong windshield (non heated) and need the car for another day. They called me to confirm I needed the heated version like 5 times. I don't know why it is so hard to do simple things.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I woke up one morning and a crack that hadn't been there the day before had started low in the passenger corner of my 9 month old 2015 Legacy. Over the next several days it grew inches a day. No obvious cause - no rock hit nor star to start it. Same thing happened to a friend's Outback this week. The dealer in Albuquerque said windshields are on back order, and wanted $839 for the replacement and installation. There is a DOT complaint form with many of the same complaints. I still haven't had it replaced, waiting to see if Subaru is going to take some responsibility, since the Internet is filling up with similar accounts.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action?searchType=PROD&prodType=V&targetCategory=A&activeTab=2&searchCriteria.model_yr=2015&searchCriteria.make=SUBARU&searchCriteria.model=OUTBACK&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1977280

I've noticed when I clean my windshield, I feel it's wavy in certain parts of it, noticeably by the EyeSight cameras, feels like it flattens out a bit and then starts its curvature again.

You can't really see it, but you can feel it with your bare hand or paper towels, I can't sense it with a microfiber on the same pass.

I assumed it might be deliberate in design for ES, but I was also curious if it was warping or bad curing or so, especially now with this reports of windshield cracks.

I just had to get my windshield replaced as well. I haven't even owned the car for two months. It was sitting in a shopping center parking lot for a few hours and when I came out it had a crack extending from the top middle above the rearview mirror and curving down and around. The Safelite guy told me he's gotten pretty good at replacing windshields on '15 Legacy's and Outback's.

I'm curious if anyone has gone to get their eyesight calibrated after the replacement? The system still seems to work fine as I purposely ran over some lines to make it beep and the cruise still seems to work fine when I approach a car in front of me. It's also still beeping at me if I get too close to someone or if they take off at a light and I just sit there.

The service department said the camera are not touched unless there is direct damage to the camera(S) or the impact happen directly in front of the cameras. The Eyesight Manual said it must be recalibrated, so I question the service manager and his statement was yes recalibration is required because when the glass is installed the glass might be mm difference or the weatherstripping could be slightly different. He said at the factory they calibrates and test for accuracy for the same reason. He also said think of when a person recieves prescription glasses you try them on to verify and make sure the are correct.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

The front windshield doesn't have an antenna. Does it?

No. He was probably thinking about the heating element at the bottom of the windshield in the wiper parking area.

Antenna assembly is the shark fin at the back of the roof. There are also some parts in the rear pillars.

Not quite. Only the SXM and 2016 StarLink (i.e. cellular) antennas are in the "shark fin." The AM/FM antennas are printed on the inside surface of the rear window. See the 2015 Legacy/Outback Owners Manual, page 5-2.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not that I have read all the info in this thread... But from what I read, everyone seems to say that if you have eyesight, you need to get it re-calibrated after you get the windshield replaced. I took a hard hit with a rock this weekend, and I need the windshield replaced. I have called two Subaru dealers in the area, and both say that as long as it is Subaru glass.. no re-calibration is required.

After all.. that does make sense, since as someone noted, the optics of the windshield change with various weather conditions.

I am not complaining, one less thing to pay for... Anyone else got this story from you local dealer ?

Dealer sends it somewhere, and they price of $375 only applies if you buy a base Legacy, which almost nobody buys because they barely even get those. The Premium and up all have the heated glass, so the price is $589 installed. Each dealer can be different because it all depends on which local auto glass shop they use.

Now about the insurance riders for glass, no matter what type of claim you file, it is still a claim, and claims are bad. Consumers get screwed by insurance companies all the time based on their claims history. If a claim is under a grand, it typically isn't worth filing. Licensed insurance pro for the last 10 years. I don't do this type of insurance anymore but I have seen plenty of sob stories from people who thought they were fine.

class claims do not impact your rates, it is seperate insurance that you purchase in addition to your policy in most areas that offer it and the cost is about $10 every 6

... everyone seems to say that if you have eyesight, you need to get it re-calibrated after you get the windshield replaced.

That comes straight from Subaru:

• For model with EyeSight, always remove the glass - front window after the stereo camera is removed.

• For model with EyeSight, always use Subaru genuine windshield glass specially designed for Eye-Sight. (If the windshield glass other than the glass specially designed for EyeSight is used, the visibility of the camera is blocked or the distortion of the glass prevents the correct measurement of the object, resulting in the EyeSight abnormal operation.)

• For model with EyeSight, if the windshield glass is installed after removal or replaced, always perform the “Inspection” and “Adjustment and check” of the stereo camera. Inspection: <Ref. to ES(diag)-7, INSPECTION, General Description.> Adjustment and check: <Ref. to ES-13, Camera Adjustment, Inspection.>

• For model with EyeSight, if the damage is found in the glass repair prohibited area, always replace the glass. Damage in the prohibited area can affect the recognition of the stereo camera even if it is repaired, and thereby EyeSight function may not operate properly.

[emphasis in original]

Source: 2015 Legacy/Outback Factory Service Manual, page GW-38.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Repost from Subaruoutback.org

Here is the answer you have been waiting for.

Subaru of America, Inc. will be issuing a warranty extension to address cracks or breakage in the deicer area of the windshield on 2015 and early production 2016 Legacy and Outback models equipped with the All Weather Package that included a windshield wiper deicer. This extension also covers certain early replacement windshields which were similarly affected.

During the windshield glass manufacturing process, certain compounds used to adhere the deicer to the lower portion of the windshield potentially created a condition where the glass could become more susceptible to cracking following a minor wound to the glass due to some outside force such as a stone impact. When this occurs, the damage to the glass generally appears very minor or may even be invisible but the glass may crack as a result. If the crack originates or passes through the deicer (lower) area of the windshield then this condition may be the cause.

The purpose of this message is to notify Subaru Retailer personnel (Sales, Parts, and Service) of important information relating to this warranty extension.

A warranty extension of twenty-four (24) months regardless of mileage will be added to these vehicles’ original limited warranty coverage (for a total of five (5) years, unlimited mileage) to extend coverage for cracks or breakage that develop in the deicer area of the original or some early replacement windshields.

If any customers have paid to have the windshield replaced as a result of the outlined condition sometime in the past, they may be eligible for reimbursement. Customers should be referred to the Customer Notification Letter for eligibility requirements and the reimbursement procedure. If they did not receive the letter, they may contact Subaru Customer Retailer Services at a special phone number established just for this warranty extension. Customers with reimbursement questions should be instructed to call 1-855-384-8926 Monday through Thursday- 8:30AM to 5:00PM EST or Friday-10:30AM to 5:00PM EST.

If any customers currently have windshield damage and would like to have their windshields inspected, they will be advised to schedule an appointment with an authorized Subaru retailer for a free visual inspection. If there is any cracking in the deicer area as outlined in the related service bulletin, the vehicle will be repaired at an authorized repair facility free of charge provided the customer has not had an aftermarket windshield installed or already had a genuine Subaru windshield installed that was manufactured after the improvement action. An inspection and claims procedure will be posted to STIS in conjunction with the release of the Customer Notification Letter.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Archived