LegacyGT.com

4th Gen Clutch Dampening Delete (Master & Slave)

Just went for a drive with the mod in place. I love it! It really improved the overall feel and control. It is also much easier now to revmatch resulting in very smooth gear changes and stuff. Even my wife who is currently learning how to drive, she was able to master it very quickly. So, we may not have to get a car with an auto after all :spin:
I thought the purpose of us driving stick was to avoid our other halves driving said car....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the mod to the 06 as well. Same comment. It's really great. It should have been like this from the factory. As far as I understand, it looks like it was like that before 2002 or so. And then they started to add these nonsense dampeners.

My conclusion: every single LGT/OBXT owner with a stick should absolutely do this mod.

I just did this mod. My initial thought is - it didn't do anything. Second thought the clutch is slightly more vibraty.

It makes backing up easier I guess, it's a little easier to tell when the engine is going to stall going up a hill. Driving around I haven't felt that much. I wonder if I still have air in the clutch lines / MC / SC.

I notice a really small difference. But, not sure it was worth it yet. I did find what I think was corrosion on the MC that was preventing the dampener from sealing and contributed to a slow leak. Hopefully that's fixed.

Edited by Rhitter

I wonder if some of it is because I have like every single drive line upgrade I can get. I am curious if that makes a difference. I have group-n motor / transmission mounts, dogbone, poly transmission bracing mounts, every rubber part that can be changed in / around the transmission, rear diff inserts, probably more that I don't remember.

I am curious if those helped removing the jerkiness (and it was far jerkier before I replaced all these).

Need to get my wife into my car again and see if she notices the engagement point better. But, she sucks at stick and I am not sure she has enough background to notice.

That would actually be a good test though. If the engagement point is indeed better, she would probably not stall it. My wife basically mastered it. Went for another drive with her today and she did great.

I also went and did some light off-roading last week and it was definitely easier to start on rough terrain uphill from a standstill. Even backing up is more predictable.

But it is true that you do have a lot of mods that could have helped as well already.

So Rhitter, still not noticing any improvement?

I just drove the 06 (for the second time after the mod) and I can definitely make smoother and more predictable gear changes now.

Also noticed that in the past, that car was having the idle bounce a bit when I was slowly engaging the clutch in first gear. Now, that's gone. I was blaming dirty throttle body or something but I guess I was wrong.

What type of difference (if any) has anyone noticed shifting during WOT pulls?

Anyone with >400whp do this mod yet? Definitely intriguing.

Wish I had done this when I replaced my clutch master cylinder a while back.

I did this very shortly after buying my LGT (walkthrough posted in May '15, I bought the car late March '15). I was coming from an 8th gen ('02) Corolla, and I was very confused when occasionally I would bog the car or have a rough start, especially on hills, when I'd been driving very smoothly on the Corolla for years, but I chalked it up to not knowing the car. Once I did this mod, I realized that it wasn't me, but the lack of response the stock setup gives, mainly in the delayed transient response when you're moving the clutch quickly, like a hill start, or a shift during a WOT pull.

I don't think I WOT pulled the car at all before I did this mod, but I've definitely had no trouble making smooth shifts at WOT after doing it.

45 minutes to remove and replace the master damper and bleed the system?!?

i haven't done it cause i'm afraid of running out of time and needing my DD.

and i've temporarily lost my garage parking spot. and it's cold and wet and slanted in my driveway. and i'm lazy. lol.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

45 minutes to remove and replace the master damper and bleed the system?!?

i haven't done it cause i'm afraid of running out of time and needing my DD.

and i've temporarily lost my garage parking spot. and it's cold and wet and slanted in my driveway. and i'm lazy. lol.

Yeah. I mean it's not hard. Take the intercooler off, take the juice out of the master cylinder using a syringe or the like, remove the dampener, put your bolt, refill, bleed, intercooler back. done :).

Edit: I should add that I did not remove the master cylinder from the car. I followed covertrussian method to remove the dampener. It was quick and easy. I did have to buy the tool (forget how it is called) at Ace though. And I did not change the line either. Just installed the bolt. And the 45mn time only applies to folks with the LGT/OBXT without the additional dampener in the slave.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Flinkly it took me 2.5 hours. Completely removed my GS tmic, disconnected and completely removed the slave cylinder and master reservoir, looking for all my scattered tools, losing them multiple times in the middle, and getting my wife to help me bleed the system.

After doing it I think it's worth it. I would do it again. Before the mod I thought the engagement point was near the top of the clutch pedal travel. Now I know it's at the top. It's subtle, I am curious how different clutches feel with the mod. Maybe I would not have burned out my last clutch in 20k miles if I had done this.

I think 1.5 hours is reasonable if I had read the directions in advance and knew where my tools were and didn't keep losing everything I set down.

and it's cold and wet and slanted in my driveway. and i'm lazy. lol.

It's not worth doing when cold and wet. It's not that big of an improvement. Wait until the weather improves.

Edited by Rhitter

• 1 year later...

Let me bump this thread. I think my question is related to its content...

Has anyone seen this master cylinder design before? I decided to buy a new one from a subaru dealer (via ebay), gave my car specs and I got this one. Is there a damper hidden in there? I hope not :mad:...

40910.jpg

37230FG031-oem-subaru-clutch-master-cylinder-2008-2014-wrx-sti2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1571334130

I said the same after buying one for triple the price and it lasting 2 months.

The Exedy has lasted much longer.

I thought Exedy was the OEM supplier for the clutch master cylinder...

Edit:

http://shop.exedyusa.com/store/product/itmgroupdetail.aspx?groupid=52788&make=SUBARU

Edited by gkinslow