LegacyGT.com

rear climate control vent hack

Hey Guys.

Newbie here. Pretty new to Subaru. I ordered my white Legacy but it's not here yet.

I got the Canadian "Touring" model, which is similar to the "premium" in the state. an upgrade to limited is going to cost 4000 bucks, not to mention the already inflated msrp for any cars bought in Canada.. (yeh, Canada prices suck)

I don't have the rear climate control vents, a feature which would be cool to have. I'm wondering if the air duct inside the walls of the center console are present regardless which trim levels it is.

Whether if it's even remotely possible to cut a hole in the center console and snap the vent on, so the rear passenger gets some air.

He's talking about these:

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff385/stfurtfm/ventholes_zpszodu6z9g.jpg

Should be possible.. here's a breakdown of the 2013/14 centre console and parts. Methinks your 2015 should be similar, but wait until the parts catalogs come out.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff385/stfurtfm/ventholes2_zpsligts7ce.jpg

umm the pics didn't load. but i'm assuming that you know what i'm talking about.

Thanks!! this is encouraging. then I should wait before I plan anything.

I can see the pics nor with my iphone.

Maybe i dont even need to cut out and holes.

Just need to take out a piece if trim and see if the ducts are inside.

Replace if the ducts are already there !!

I can see the pics nor with my iphone.

Maybe i dont even need to cut out and holes.

Just need to take out a piece if trim and see if the ducts are inside.

Replace if the ducts are already there !!

I'm not sure if the vents are there are not. If they are, they're probably plugged, but then they might make noise if that's so, plugged vents, but I'm not sure as Subaru would do that.

If they are there and if you don't want to cut any holes for the new vents, you'll have to replace the whole center console, as it's one piece. That includes the lid portion and sides, as it's all one mold.

There are no vents under the front seats in any trim version.

The 2015 parts diagrams and FSM both show under-seat ducts.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The 2015 parts diagrams and FSM both show under-seat ducts.

You're right and I see it shows that in the OM as well. But, when I was running the interior lighting wires and a USB cable, I didn't see any ducts underneath the front seats, while I was crawling around under there.

Maybe I'm just losing it. :spin:

• 2 months later...

I had been really busy with my squeaky seat and work, i'm going to start post grad school too.

But looking at the actual car and i think the diagrams in this thread seems to be valid for 2015 model as well.

Maybe someone can pop open that piece of plastic and take a pic to see what's inside?

Well crisscross, some people want modifications because they want modifications. I personally didnt want to shell out another 3-4k for a Limited because it has leather and vents. Some mods can also help improve the way the vehicle functions which is why I'm looking into this.

In popping off the back cover to the center console there is a small black box and a large hole for the ductwork. My mechanic at Subaru plans to look at a limited and we plan to take out my console to see what is needed to make it work. He assumes there is a plug and we need the ducts/vents. I'll keep the people that care posted.

Yes, that is what mods are all about making your vehicle unique to you. We are on the same forum and have the same interest that make us kindred spirits so keeping the tone civil and non aggressive make communications easier and promotes cooperation. Kidding around is one thing which we should all appreciate and it does help ones psyche.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

In popping off the back cover to the center console there is a small black box and a large hole for the ductwork. My mechanic at Subaru plans to look at a limited and we plan to take out my console to see what is needed to make it work. He assumes there is a plug and we need the ducts/vents. I'll keep the people that care posted.

FWIW I would do this mod assuming the difficulty was reasonable. A/C from vents is way better on a hot day than from under the seat.

FWIW I would do this mod assuming the difficulty was reasonable. A/C from vents is way better on a hot day than from under the seat.

You REALLY have to turn the fan speed up to feel anything out of those vents, they are awfully weak. Setting it to the upper vents only gives it a boost as well.

But when you have it on the 3 or lower fan speeds, the air just leaks out of the rear vents, doesn't really blow out. :spin:

Has anyone tried to plug the lower vents to increase the flow out of the console vents.

You could always change the diverter to top vents only and obtain the same results.

Unless you mean to only block the vents underneath the front seats...

• 9 months later...
Hey, bumping this thread as its one of the next projects I want to attempt. So, did anyone complete this, or find out if it's possible? Looks like changing the rear plate with vents and installing the center duct work would be easy. Big question is - will there be a hook up in the front dash?

There is a hook up in the front dash that is blocked off, but no vents under the center console. I looked into it before and the prices were reasonable but one of the parts was no longer available. I think you need four ducts and a new plastic piece at the back.

There is very little air that blows out of those rear console vents. No matter what setting you put on the HVAC. With a single air blower under the dash, the air is going to take the path of least restriction, and that center console has the most, so it gets the least air.

It seems to work better on the highway, during longer road trips.

For around town shorter trips, winter or summer, it doesn't do much.

Archived