LegacyGT.com

#inansb... :(

If you're not afraid to travel 5 hours, I HIGHLY recommend Off The Line Performance here in Iowa. Rebuild and tune all in one shop (boosted performance tuning). Can't beat the prices Justin can get, and Mikey is said to be one of the best techs in the Midwest..

http://offthelineperformance.com

https://m.facebook.com/BoostedPerformanceTuning?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FBoostedPerformanceTuning

I'm starting to really look into this myself now... I would love to bring it somewhere but time is a stickler, and doing it myself saves a rather large chunk of change! I'll definitely contact them though. I'll be contacting half a dozen shops tomorrow asking about a rebuild.

PM riderdude to see if he can hook you up with a full longblock for around $3K. It should be ready to go minus peripherals. A shop or decent mechanic can probably swap out the busted for new for $1k-$1500 labor and you will be good to go.

Then you can tear down the old block to see what's up, rebuild or resell to recoup some cost.

PM sent. Seems like he sells a lot of engine builds here and on NASIOC. Hopefully he can hook me up! I'll contact infamous as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

...The block has 196,000 miles on it, for the extra $1600 I would feel stupid not replacing it. My goal if I go through with this is to have an engine that'll last me the next 60k I'll put on it throughout college, then drive it till 190k when it dies again :)...

Yeah that's the right attitude,. Also factor in oil and filters plus random $2 1 time use bolts that break when taking things apart.

As others have said, 3 months is a insane amount of time for a shop to do this job.

Any decent shop shouldn't take more than a week, if that.

The heads can be rebuilt in a day or less by a good machine shop.

These places don't make money by having things laying around for a long time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah that's the right attitude,. Also factor in oil and filters plus random $2 1 time use bolts that break when taking things apart.

Yeah, Im leaving myself with an extra $1k cushion for who knows what. AKA, I'll be replacing every vacuum and fuel line because of age/mileage.

As others have said, 3 months is a insane amount of time for a shop to do this job.

Any decent shop shouldn't take more than a week, if that.

The heads can be rebuilt in a day or less by a good machine shop.

These places don't make money by having things laying around for a long time.

They just moved, so I feel like that may be part of the issue. My wagon also isn't a super cool "getting' built" STi, so I'm sure it does't take much priority there either. They've been a good shop for me thus far for everything else, and always super super quick, actually. So I was very surprised at what they told me... Oh well though, 'tis what it is.

I'm also realizing that I could get a rebuilt long block from Riderdude125, and go stage 2, with an E-tune(maybe from Cryo? Everyone has great things to say about him), and come out for wayyyyy less than what I was quoted...

This may start falling into place. :cool:

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

The long block is a easy way to go, you'll still need a few newer gaskets, but not a whole kit, get the crush washers for the banjos and oil return hose. Oil cooler(?), coolant crossover tube.

Pull both banjo filters, ask about that when you order the long block. They should leave the front filter out.

See if the auto parts stores have a top end gasket set. TGV's and intake manifold and TB. I didn't replace my TB seal when I did my rebuild.

Take your manifold off at the TGV's to head, lift the entire intake as a unit. Tighten the gas line clamps and rotate them so you can tighten in a couple years.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The long block is a easy way to go, you'll still need a few newer gaskets, but not a whole kit, get the crush washers for the banjos and oil return hose. Oil cooler(?), coolant crossover tube.

Pull both banjo filters, ask about that when you order the long block. They should leave the front filter out.

See if the auto parts stores have a top end gasket set. TGV's and intake manifold and TB. I didn't replace my TB seal when I did my rebuild.

Take your manifold off at the TGV's to head, lift the entire intake as a unit. Tighten the gas line clamps and rotate them so you can tighten in a couple years.

Im having Casey (Riderdude) take care of all the engine stuff for me. He's installing the timing parts for pretty much the cost of parts, and including a set of TGV deletes for me as well. Great guy to deal with so far!

I actually had bought all the intake gaskets a few weeks ago, because I planned on simply relaxing every single vacuum/fuel line possible because of age. And I had a great time with fuel leaks last winter. :spin: All I'll need are the TGV to head gaskets, and most likely some Grimmspeed phenolic spacers.

I also spent a long while on the phone with John (JMP), he has a million miles worth of advice to offer. Many thanks to him for helping me decide what direction to head with some of these parts, etc.I'll most likely be picking up a Custom VF40 from him very soon. He's a very knowledgable guy, we spent an hour talking about mountain biking too :)

Still looking for a down pipe, and deciding on what direction to go with my TMIC. Budget will most likely dictate me getting a bulletproof kit from BarManBean and just stating with the stocker for now. I don't need a new intercooler, so I'd rather spend the money on engine stuff, like a KillerB oil pickup, and new vacuum hoses.

I smell a build thread in the works ;) (well, kinda, considering I'm not building my own motor haha)

and most likely some Grimmspeed phenolic spacers.

Considering how quickly the air moves through the TVGs and knowing our manifolds are plastic (terrible conductor of heat), I can't imagine the phenolic spacers do much of anything. The air isn't within the TGVs long enough to transfer any meaningful amount of heat. Save yourself the dough for other things that creep up while doing an engine build.

Considering how quickly the air moves through the TVGs and knowing our manifolds are plastic (terrible conductor of heat), I can't imagine the phenolic spacers do much of anything. The air isn't within the TGVs long enough to transfer any meaningful amount of heat. Save yourself the dough for other things that creep up while doing an engine build.

This is a worthy point, but even if the thermal data is negligible, it does have a negative correlation with four-letter vocabulary prevalence when working on other parts beneath the IM (i.e. inlets and fuel clamps) :lol: The 8mm is at least good for that. I've always wanted to get an IR thermo to get hard data but never got around to it.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

This is a worthy point, but even if the thermal data is negligible, it does have a negative correlation with four-letter vocabulary prevalence when working on other parts beneath the IM (i.e. inlets and fuel clamps) :lol: The 8mm is at least good for that. I've always wanted to get an IR thermo to get hard data but never got around to it.

Hardest part about doing my inlet was the BS solenoids and whatnot in the front. Once I had a properly sized clamp for the BPV hose, that was cake. There's plenty of space under there and the routing of the Perrin is great.

Just bought $1k worth of stuff from RallySport Direct... Now to place a rather large order from Hueberger, and a smallish order on Amazon. Here's the list so far:

-Rebuilt EJ255 short block with D25 heads for a little bump in compression :)

-Perrin catted bellmouth Downpipe

-COBB EBCS

-1 step colder NGK spark plugs

-lots o gaskets

-nameless air pump delete kit

-Perrin pitch stop mount

-group N motor mounts

-Rallitek hard 5EAT bushing

-new turbo inlet

-PCV

Random nuts bolts etc.

-JMP Custom VF40

-Bulletproof TMIC kit

-oil, trans fluid, coolant

-Contacted Dave at Cryo for a base tune break in map

More to come! I'll start a build thread once I get the rest ordered up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yessir! Ditching the old EJ257/B25 combo for the higher compression EJ255/D25 setup.

I keep reading about ringland failure on the 257's; partly due to the higher compression and the other due to knock.

My guess is you've already thought this through as you have a great tuner like Dave ready to set you up for success from day one :) I'll follow your build thread also. Curious to see how this turns out.

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

I keep reading about ringland failure on the 257's; partly due to the higher compression and the other due to knock.

My guess is you've already thought this through as you have a great tuner like Dave ready to set you up for success from day one :) I'll follow your build thread also. Curious to see how this turns out.

Yeah, I did quite a bit of research before planning this all out...

I know in going up in compression, but I believe a solid tune will combat any ringland issues anyways. Not to mention 75% of my driving is less than 8psi of boost, highway stuff... I'm really just going all out for stage 2 because in would appreciate that other 25% of the time being very very fun :)

Archived