LegacyGT.com

What was the worst car purchase you ever made?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A '86 Ford Tempo.... in 1992 I think I spent the purchase price in repairs in 2 years... you name it , it fell of that car, engine mounts, Steering Rack, stalled all the time at idle...

Best part was I bought my dad's car to replace it and they drove it to turn it in for his new car.... told him what it would do and they still nearly died in the face of on coming traffic.... they come home and said we had no idea .. they thought I was exaggerating! one of those cars where you really had to know what it was going to do before it did it...

My worst car was a 1978 Plymouth Horizon. Was back at the dealer 17 times in first year. They gave me a new Horizon loaner on one occasion at it broke down and had to be towed. On one repair I had to read from the repair manual to help the mechanic complete the repair. Door linkage repairs, stalling out at intersections, electrical problems, holes in rims, water leaks, you name it.

Shouldn't this be in the 'other cars' forum? :p

My worst was a C6 'Vette. Purchased it used with 50k miles. Drove it 8k miles in ~11 months, and spent $2k on parts and special tools for repairs. Labor would have been another $2k if I hadn't done the work myself.

Numerous electrical problems due to the crap GM connectors, and generally poor quality. Cheap ass plastic interior parts that broke if you looked at them sideways. Major mechanical issues such as cam sprocket bolts coming loose. On it's 3rd water pump by 60k miles (new GM parts). PITA to work on due to packaging (and dumb design choices) - steering rack must be removed to pull balancer, A/C must be discharged to remove radiator, etc. Parts were expensive, and special tools were commonly required.

When it ran, it was fast and fun. Most of the time, it was just a PITA.

I swear man you must have had the worst corvette ever. My c5 had so few issues. The only thing I replaced other than tires, brakes etc was the back passenger side wheel bearing at 110k+ miles.

Anyway the worst car purchase I made was a 1996 lincoln town car signature edition. I didn't even put that much money into it. But I hated it after a short while. The interior room was about the only plus side to that car.

I swear man you must have had the worst corvette ever.

That's certainly possible, but just about every problem I had was well documented on the 'Vette forums. Made it easy for me to research, but it was clear the problems were not all that uncommon. Maybe it was just that my car had them all... :lol:

1984 Plymouth Reliant. If you parked facing uphill, it would roll back and lock the trans in park. I broke the column mounted shifter twice trying to get it out of park. I finally learned that if I forgot to set the parking brake on a hill, I had to call up a couple buddies and have them push the car forward a touch to unlock the trans.

2001 Hyundai Accent. What a junker. First new car I got and it seemed like a decent deal for the price. Had tranny problems from year 2 until I got rid of it in 2006. Also died twice. Once at work and it took the dealer 7 hours to find out a sensor had crapped out and fried the electric system. You couldn't pay me to own another hyundia.

I had thought the German Capris (up until the Fox Capri in '78) all had the 2.0 (or 2.6 Cologne V6), but apparently, the last year of the Mk1s (1974) got the 2.3 (or the 2.8 cologne V6), as did the Mk2s.

I had a '74 Mk1 with the V6 (which I built - cam, intake, 4bbl, headers) in high school. I've always wanted to find another one and do an RS2800 clone with a 302...

http://www.loxlee-loves-engines.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/rs3100-capri-stand.jpg

Capris used the 2.0l 4 cyl. that was used in the early Pintos, or the Cologne V6. The 2.0 was actually a pretty good motor. The V6 was pretty mediocre.

The 2.0 Pinto engine was never a good engine. It was one of the headaches over here... Camshaft consumption was high on those engines.

453747.png

Found an interesting article: "Scientific" Guide to the 10 Worst Used Vehicles

There is the list but there are so bad cars that didn't even make the list. I know, it doesn't make sense but it will if you read the whole article...

Link:

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/a-car-dealers-scientific-guide-to-the-10-worst-116647051962.html

1988 Pontiac lemans. Had various electrical problems all the time. Bought at 32k as first car for $3200. Steering wheel came loose and fell off while i was driving. Luckily I was going slow uphill and let the crap alignment shift the car to the shoulder.

Also, timing belt snapped with a few friends in the car on the way to the bars for the night. Spent that night sober and stranded for a few hours.

Archived