LegacyGT.com

What was the worst car purchase you ever made?

06 Pontiac G6 GTP. It was a year old when i bought it and under warranty I had to replace 3 window regulators, both heated seat switches, and there was a recal on the fuse box, and the entire uit had to be replaced. Besides the electrical issues it also had the worst torque steer out of any vehicle I have ever driven.

My 05 LGT may move to the top of the list of the worst if my engine is shot.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

98 Audi A4. Some questionable engineering there.

One morning after a heavy rain, I got in my car and there was 3" of standing water on the floors. Windows closed, sunroof closed, so what could it be? Turned out to be this little drain under the battery, under the tray, was clogged with an old oak leaf. Yes, one leaf (and the aforementioned questionable engineering) caused all of this. I poked it out with a stick and all of the water in the cowl drained out. Then I had to wetvac out the 3" of water in the interior, rip out the carpeting/insulation dry everything, leave a house dehumidifier and box fans in it all night, and put it all back the next day.

Another gem with this car was that the sunroof switch contacts would start to get a little worn, and the sunroof could open, on it's own, at any time, even with the power off. One (luckily sunny) morning I found it wide open, so I fixed the switch. Others weren't so lucky - one guy said it opened itself in the middle of a carwash.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

• 3 weeks later...

Land Rover Freelander. That thing was THE WORST vehicle ever sold in this country. In less than 50K miles the only thing they did not replace under warranty was the transmission. Literally almost every other driveline component was replaced.

Engine

Front Suspension

Rear Suspension

A/C

Radiator

Water Pump

Power Steering

It was so bad even Land Rover said they should never have made the vehicle and that they were running out of replacement engines for them.

94 Volvo 940. Got it to have a car right when I got back from my last deployment while active duty. ugly, slow, probably pretty safe? but it drank oil like Sweet tea in Texas.

Up side was I paid $600 in cash, owned it for about 8 months then traded it in for 1400 at a dealership.

94 Volvo 940. Got it to have a car right when I got back from my last deployment while active duty. ugly, slow, probably pretty safe? but it drank oil like Sweet tea in Texas.

Up side was I paid $600 in cash, owned it for about 8 months then traded it in for 1400 at a dealership.

Well factoring in cash flows, time owned and purchase/sales prices...

I'd consider a 366% ROR pretty damn good lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1/16th mile?

I had a friend with a Pinto 2L turbo running 10s in the late 80's. With a carb and no intercooler... wouldn't have been my choice, but it ran. Those 2L motors can make some power.

the later Mustang "SVO" ran an evolved version of the 2.3L four cylinder, turbo + IC. Pretty cool car.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Well factoring in cash flows, time owned and purchase/sales prices...

I'd consider a 366% ROR pretty damn good lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what really did it was the low miles (only 105 at time of trade in. Previous owner had it garaged for 3 years). Also I cleaned the HELL out of her inside and out, detailed, buffed, clay bar, wax. everything I could think of really, that did cost about $200.

Yep, they are underrated little motors. I had a 82 Capri for a while that had a 84 SVO motor swapped into it.

Cool!

Sorry I hadn't figured I upset you so much. When someone twice my age tries to troll me on a car forum it's because they are threatened and have to have the last word in order to save face, or they have no life and the forum is the only place they feel accepted. Either way, no one is rustled here old boy.

Archived