Dyno Info: Mustang

Transmission: 5EAT

Gear: 3rd

Peak Horse Power at RPM: 5600

Peak Torque at RPM: 2200

Target Boost: 15 PSI

Target AFR: 14.6

Fuel: 92

Engine/Power Modifications: COBB AP V3, COBB SF intake and air box, COBB downpipe, COBB Up-pipe, COBB turbo heat shield, Invidia TBE, Perrin TMIC, DW65c fuel pump

Driveline Modifications: N/A

Suspension Modifications: N/A…future plans for sway bars, end links and springs

Other Modifications: COBB light weight crank pully

1268865064_DynoJan15.thumb.jpg.add72576e74b319e008994227e108a36.jpg

@scoobyscoodle – The dyno was done with Chevron 92 Octane (pump gas)

@joeleodee – The target AFR of 14.6 you are referring to is from one of the three maps created for my AP. That number is from the map with the most power gains. Look at the legend on the bottom of the graph.

@stuck686 – It is indeed a stock VF40 turbo.

I really don't understand how your spool is so damn fast. A stock turbo at 15 psi is usually much lower than 360 wtq.

Makes me wonder what Cobb Surgeline knows...

If you look at the AFR in the graph it looks to be more inline with expectations (11.1 ish)

The vf40 on e85 at 20psi wouldn't even make those torque numbers (let alone 15psi), and it's common knowledge that you will always make more wtq on e85, all other things equal.

And peak torque at 2200? I know the vf40 is a small turbo, but there's no way it's seeing peak boost before 2500, let alone peak torque.

92 octane is pump gas. I know the unlocked torque converter on the 5eat can multiply torque momentarily, I suspect that is what is happening here.

The vf40 on e85 at 20psi wouldn't even make those torque numbers (let alone 15psi), and it's common knowledge that you will always make more wtq on e85, all other things equal.

And peak torque at 2200? I know the vf40 is a small turbo, but there's no way it's seeing peak boost before 2500, let alone peak torque.

92 octane is pump gas. I know the unlocked torque converter on the 5eat can multiply torque momentarily, I suspect that is what is happening here.

Alright, what you're saying is that it is not a vf40 due to how quick it achieved peak boost and because of the unlocked torque converter the torque number is not legit... I just posted what the graph shows. It's all there.

I believe it is a VF40. I also agree with scoobyscoodle that the torque converter may be causing some funky readings on the dyno. My guess is you are more in the range of 270WTQ. The 5EAT is pretty parasitic and typically runs lower numbers on the dyno compared to the 5 or 6 MT

From what I remember, stall speed on the 5EAT is about 3500RPM so there is quite a bit of torque multiplication that can occur under load down low in the RPM range that will decrease as engine speed increases closer to stall speed. At about the 2200RPM range, the trans starts to really put power to the drive train and torque multiplication can occur with some large numbers, as indicated. I would be curious, if you wouldn't mind, calling Cobb and asking what their opinion is on this.

I believe it is a VF40. I also agree with scoobyscoodle that the torque converter may be causing some funky readings on the dyno. My guess is you are more in the range of 270WTQ. The 5EAT is pretty parasitic and typically runs lower numbers on the dyno compared to the 5 or 6 MT

From what I remember, stall speed on the 5EAT is about 3500RPM so there is quite a bit of torque multiplication that can occur under load down low in the RPM range that will decrease as engine speed increases closer to stall speed. At about the 2200RPM range, the trans starts to really put power to the drive train and torque multiplication can occur with some large numbers, as indicated. I would be curious, if you wouldn't mind, calling Cobb and asking what their opinion is on this.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived