LegacyGT.com

Car Won't Start After Stereo Installation

cjwessing

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The cruise light coming on only means a CEL. It doesn't mean a sensor is toast unless the the CEL code says that.

I know ... I was putting things simply, to say least. Didn't mean fried, just that something wasn't right.

Just got home from work, gunna try some more stuff tonight. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Does the Cobb AP read CEL's?

Are there any connections (mechanical or electrical) in the engine bay that I may have disconnected that would cause the starter not to work?

Are there any connections (mechanical or electrical) in the engine bay that I may have disconnected that would cause the starter not to work?

Well yeah, the battery...(just being a PITA)...don't keep us hanging on this, we all want to know what the problem turns out to be.

Hum, your crankshaft position circuit went south? it happened on another car of mine, a 2003 Altima, it would not turn on for anything, it would just cranck. Had it towed to the dealership and they found that the crankshaft sensor was fried. Replaced it under warranty and it has been good ever since. Basically this sensor tells the computer what position the engine is in in order for it to send the right signal for timing, spark and other things.

This is what I am guessing, and one thing may not be related to another, and it may just have been a coincidence that it friend after you installed the system. But f that what it is, best bet is to take it to the dealership service department and let them replace it under warranty.

X

---

In the words of Chris Farley, "What did you DO!?"
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

If I take it back to the dealership, do I tell them that it happened when I was installing a new stereo, or would that void my warranty? What do I tell them if they ask how I read the CEL? Also, I'm assuming I'll have to put the stock map back on the ECU.

Any idea how hard/expensive it would be to replace the crankshaft position sensor?

cjwessing - you tell the dealer that you pulled the code on the dash using the method provided in the link I posted (Post #16). Then you looked up the code on the internet.

While it's possible that you screwed something up during your stereo install, I wouldn't actually tell them such. No reason to give them ammunition to deny warranty when we have no idea what caused this or any solid reason to believe this was specifically your fault. If you did something that caused it, they'll most likely find it anyway.

Good luck.

I checked all of the fuses tonight, and they look good. I also tried to jump start it, still no difference, doesn't even turn over. The only other thing I can think of before I take it back to the dealer is to try to push-start it. I'll try it tomorrow night and let everyone know.

I'm still getting the P0335 error (Crankshaft Position Sensor). Has anyone ever gotten this before? Anyone know where the crankshaft position sensor is?

Thanks,

Chris

check your crank shaft position sensor. hope its unpluged. maybe if its unpluged the car wont even alow the engine to turn over. cause i gather that your car is not cranking. if the sensor was bad then typicly the car would turn over. but it would never fire cause it does not knwo the enigine position in order to fire the injectors and spark plugs.

i cant get the picture to attach. but its right below the alternator pully.

in the work shop manual its under 10 - Engine Diagnostics, 04 - Electrical Component Location

check your crank shaft position sensor. hope its unpluged. maybe if its unpluged the car wont even alow the engine to turn over. cause i gather that your car is not cranking. if the sensor was bad then typicly the car would turn over. but it would never fire cause it does not knwo the enigine position in order to fire the injectors and spark plugs.

i cant get the picture to attach. but its right below the alternator pully.

in the work shop manual its under 10 - Engine Diagnostics, 04 - Electrical Component Location

try scrolling down and use manage attachments and then point it to your cee drive

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Archived