LegacyGT.com

The great 97k mile engine refresh.

Starting tomorrow, I will be undertaking my biggest project on my 08 outback XT 5MT.

Since the car has 97k miles, I figured I should do the timing belt. Tomorrow is going to be the last weekend day I will have free for a while. Might as well do it now, instead of waiting six or more months.

Also, after doing the vf52 upgrade and custom tune for the dw65 pump and Perrin DP I have decided to upgrade my clutch at the same time!

Guess what that means. Upgrade and refresh time!

So here is a list of parts I will be installing tomorrow, some for fun, some because why not. The engine is coming out and a lot of things will be super easy to get to.

Timing belt, and pulleys, etc. ALL OEM including bolts.

Water pump, OE

Cam shaft seals

Crank seal

Rear main seal

Valve cover gaskets, inner and outer, plus half moon seals

Flywheel resurface OEM wrx 06+

Exedy stage 1 organic

Killer B oil pickup and baffle, might as well check the stock right? And if I am in there , might as well uprgrade right? Piece of mind?

Oil cooler gasket

Group n motor mounts

Group n trans mount

Perrin crank pulley(pure BLING!) Don't know why I bought it.....

Grimmspeed master cylinder brace

It's going to be a busy day, I'll post picks along the way.

Some things are left out because they were done very recently (plugs,t-stat,etc)

I got to borrow three special service tools for working with the pulleys and timing belt. My buddy didn't have the tool for the drivers side exhaust pulley. We had to use the old timing belts wrapped around a ton of stuff and clamped via vice grips. Man, those pulleys are on SUPER right. Having the right tools made it a lot easier for the other three pulleys.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/28/cce1955ccb91712e4b53cfc08fc07f9c.jpg

Not sure if it's to late...but I would not put a stage 1 clutch in these cars.

I did a Spec 2 and it lasted 45,000 miles before it started slipping in 5th gear. I now have a Spec 2+.

Good luck.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
Not sure if it's to late...but I would not put a stage 1 clutch in these cars.

I did a Spec 2 and it lasted 45,000 miles before it started slipping in 5th gear. I now have a Spec 2+.

Good luck.

Under reasonable power levels and not launching the car and shifting properly, a stock (or similar style) clutch should last longer than just about any aftermarket or "upgraded" clutch option. Seems most aftermarket clutches wear much faster regardless of having better holding capacity.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Ha, if you think the pulley is bling, then why the master brace? The pulley actually made a noticable difference (GS here) where the brace was my biggest waste of funds so far. Normal things like flushing fluid and good pads way more useful, or a booster swap. :)

Just sayin, even though i did the same thing.

Sent from my XT1028

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Under reasonable power levels and not launching the car and shifting properly, a stock (or similar style) clutch should last longer than just about any aftermarket or "upgraded" clutch option. Seems most aftermarket clutches wear much faster regardless of having better holding capacity.

Yea, if you drive like your grand mother...;)

LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Blead the brakes recently, and I can actually feel a difference with the brace. Sure it is also bling, but I was curious.

Also, because step 1 in the instruction for the brace is 'remove engine' I thought I would throw money at grimmspeed. Instead of flushing it down a toilet!

remove engine? lol. I don't remember that one, but i'm sure I laughed when I installed mine (no engine removal). it does look cool in the engine bay, except i'm the only one who looks in there. the sti/wrx booster is a next step, if you haven't upgraded to lgt calipers/rotors/pads already. at least the lgt rear is ventilated (good for heavy load/trailer hauling).
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

How do you like the pulley? Im getting ready to do my timing belt and was thinking of upgrading while im in there. Also anything else you feel should be done at the same time as the belt and water pump and thermostat?

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Archived