LegacyGT.com

Gonna make some skid plates, anyone have a .DWG of one?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am still in a holding pattern on finalizing the CNC. Everything is built I Just need to wire in the Spindle Controller and Spindle. I need more hours in the day. I will say it is a priority but i can't give a time frame as of now.

:icon_sad:

I am still in a holding pattern on finalizing the CNC. Everything is built I Just need to wire in the Spindle Controller and Spindle. I need more hours in the day. I will say it is a priority but i can't give a time frame as of now.

:icon_sad:

How big is the plate? Care to send me the final drawing of it? If you're wanting a test piece I should be able to have one water jet depending on the size.

• 4 weeks later...

What is the "cooling" that people keep mentioning? The lower grill opening is right above the plate, so i don't think cooling louvres serve any actual function. They might provide strength, and/or looks, but that's it.

I've always imagined a few welded pieces of aluminum tubestock bolted in place, and a few seperate sheets over the frame. Just drop a single sheet under the engine for access, and extend the coverage beyond the cradle.

Been waiting to get my hands on a jdm header first, and get a few other design projects done before a skidplate.

Also: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219413

Sent from my XT1028

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

So I was working in my buddy's shop and noticed his CNC table. Long story short, 24 hours and $100 for a 4x4 sheet of 6061-T4 later and we were playing with the .dxf file at the beginning of this thread.

We cut one out of cardboard on the CNC first to verify fitment and found two issues with the .dxf, as is. The wings on the front are too long front to back, on an '05 OBXT anyway. It impedes the lower control arm from decompressing fully when the car is jacked up and I can only imagine may be an issue while driving rough terrain as well. This was solved by shortening the wings on the .dxf by about 3", easy fix.

Second issue, while the bolt holes on the CNC file are perfectly placed for using existing M8 bolt holes on the chassis, using ONLY those three bolts leaves the rearward 20 inches of the aluminum completely unsupported and unattached, and at least with 1/8" aluminum it hangs loose and rattles something fierce. I solved this by adding a 4th hole (we actually CNC'd a slot rather than a hole for installation flexibility) under the transmission support crossmember. Then I drilled and installed a rivnut into that crossmember into which I threaded a 4th M8. Problem solved.

We also added to the file and then cut an oil filter and drain hole, and then used his bender to add the required double offset bend to clear the oilpan etc. Worked slick and there you go. Most importantly wanted to warn you about using the file as is. I should have thought of this before, but I'll see if he saved the edited file and if I can get my hands on that maybe that'll help ya'll as well!

Cheers!

So I was working in my buddy's shop and noticed his CNC table. Long story short, 24 hours and $100 for a 4x4 sheet of 6061-T4 later and we were playing with the .dxf file at the beginning of this thread.

We cut one out of cardboard on the CNC first to verify fitment and found two issues with the .dxf, as is. The wings on the front are too long front to back, on an '05 OBXT anyway. It impedes the lower control arm from decompressing fully when the car is jacked up and I can only imagine may be an issue while driving rough terrain as well. This was solved by shortening the wings on the .dxf by about 3", easy fix.

Second issue, while the bolt holes on the CNC file are perfectly placed for using existing M8 bolt holes on the chassis, using ONLY those three bolts leaves the rearward 20 inches of the aluminum completely unsupported and unattached, and at least with 1/8" aluminum it hangs loose and rattles something fierce. I solved this by adding a 4th hole (we actually CNC'd a slot rather than a hole for installation flexibility) under the transmission support crossmember. Then I drilled and installed a rivnut into that crossmember into which I threaded a 4th M8. Problem solved.

We also added to the file and then cut an oil filter and drain hole, and then used his bender to add the required double offset bend to clear the oilpan etc. Worked slick and there you go. Most importantly wanted to warn you about using the file as is. I should have thought of this before, but I'll see if he saved the edited file and if I can get my hands on that maybe that'll help ya'll as well!

Cheers!

Thanks for the update and hard work. If you can get ahold of the file is be glad to cut them for us once I have my router up next week. As long as the overall size is less that 4'x4' I can do them out of alum or umhw.

Here is a little update to my router.

It's almost ready. Just waiting on a shielded drive wire.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/18/e617a0d9379f7f5325a884b9dcedd6d4.jpg

Hey all, here's the updated file we used to make my skidplate, I'll also try to grab a couple pix of the finished product tomorrow when I have it up in the air for brake work. Hope this helps everyone!

-RS

As before, you'll need to change the extension to .dwg to open it.

edit: Ran out of time for the brake project this week, I'll hopefully be able to grab some pics next week when I track down my spare time that seems to have disappeared.

RWS SkidPlate Mod.pdf.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Archived