LegacyGT.com

Gonna make some skid plates, anyone have a .DWG of one?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah mostly I meant - does it look like a good design, etc. I assume it's fine. but never actually saw a picture of anything cut from it.

With 3 bolts holding it on - I don't think access holes are important. That's pretty quick and easy to remove.

I already remove my annoying plastic one when ever I am changing out the oil just because it makes it so much easier.

Also curious what the cost difference would be between 1/8th and 3/16th.

I just talked to my metal guy, he said if we can get 2 plates on 1 4x8 sheet, the cost would be roughly $150 now that's with some of the thinner sheets of soft aluminum(I can't remember the exact thickness...oops). So that brings us to about $75 per skid plate. And yes it is a .dxf file that he needs. If any of you have the capability to do this cheaper than even better. I'm not making profit on any of this, I just want a dang skid plate!

I'd be in for one. Like I said before if you want me to I can put a access hole in there. But if it's only a few bolts to take off then I'd probably just do without it.

FWIW, that's what 'primitive' offers:

1/8" light duty, lightweight aluminum: $199 (good for snow, mud, brush and light gravel) approx 14lbs

3/16" rugged duty aluminum, approx 17lbs $239

see: http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skidplate/skid_outback.htm

Yea but thats for a 2010-2014? Either way still a good price.

It looks good, but even for the 3/16" we could do it for much less than $239 in my opinion.

Oh sure. I was just providing this info to let all of us know the options out there in terms of thickness, and what they think is appropriate for our vehicles.

I'd be in for one. Like I said before if you want me to I can put a access hole in there. But if it's only a few bolts to take off then I'd probably just do without it.

Yea but thats for a 2010-2014? Either way still a good price.

Actually, if you scroll down the page you will see the section for the 05-09 outback.

Just fabricated mine over the weekend out of 20G aluminum plate. ELH and Moroso oil pan require extra clearance. A 45degree down at 6" and 4.5" bent back flat. also fabricated two new brackets to bolt too on the engine cradle.

I will get so more pics and more measurements to add soon.

also adding trap doors for oil changes.

I'll be able to manufacture them once my machine is dialed in. I'd prefer to do them in 3/8 hdpe though.

OK, so, any benefit to the OEM unit which is also plastic? The goal here is to get something sturdier, like, aluminium. .

Archived