LegacyGT.com

Should I buy a (2015) Legacy or an Accord

treepalmer

I'm confused, been with accord for several years now

After I moved from the south NC to MN where I stay now and have been having severe winter weather and a lot of snow and extremely severe cold weather I need a car to make sure my family specially kids have a heater in the back seat and the Accords don't seem to have that feature, at least the Accord LX that I have doesn't have a heater in the rear seat

I want at least 5 reasons why I should buy a Legacy over an Accord

I'll give you one

SNOW

/thread

but here are the other 4

1. Cheaper

2. Similar fuel economy

3. AWD

4. Cheaper to insure

I have both a 2002 CL type S and a 2003 Legacy and for a winter car, the Legacy cannot be beat. As for the Accord it should have rear heat as the ducts are typically under the seat. IF you are looking for heated seats you are sol.

The accord is far superior in every way. Don't be duped by the awd gimmick. It simply isn't worth it.

yeah id love to hear how the accord is better suited for his needs in MN. snow, freezing temperatures, bears. sounds like subaru territory to me.

I don't need to give you 5 reasons. It is simply a better built vehicle. If you cant get around in a fwd car on the snow you shouldn't be on the road anyway.

if you can get around with fwd car on the snow, you can get speeding tickets with awd car on the snow.

There is nothing wrong with a Honda, they make good reliable quality cars.

Subaru has

1- AWD

2- Better Crash Test Ratings (Every one of Subaru cars is in the top safety picks)

3- Better Resale Value

4- Available Eye Sight

5- Heated Rear Seat on Limited Models (Ok kind of lame unless you are looking for that feature)

The accord is far superior in every way. Don't be duped by the awd gimmick. It simply isn't worth it.

how so?

compared to the current generation legacy it

costs more with less safety tech

gets similar fuel economy

same suspension setup (McPherson Struts in front, multi-link rear)

similar overall interior volume

Can you even get HID lighting on an Accord? Yes, you can on the Touring model only that starts at $33,300. You can get a Legacy 3.6R with HID for 30,390, add in nav., keyless access, and eyesight- you are still under the accord by at least $250

I have both cars (A CL-S is basically an Accord Coupe) and I currently let the CL-S sit in the garage fir the winter and drive the legacy exclusively.

Edit: As for quality, it's a tie really Subaru's interiors may not be as nice but they stand up to the wear and tear much better than the Accord's and Acura's do especially if they are leather. Honda's leather is paper thin and my CL-S has tears in the leather and the steering wheel has wear spots on it where my thumbs sit. The Subaru leather is thicker and wears much better overall... Honda's have transmission issues to this very day and Subaru has had head gasket issues on some engines and turbo/cat problems on others.

Acura CL-S issues over 138K

1 transmission

4 sets of lower ball joints

1 large rust spot driver's side rear quarter panel

1 rad cap

1 hood latch

interior shows the wear as if the car had TWICE the mileage on it

Subaru Legacy L special edition

1 rebuilt engine

1 rear view mirror

1 upper and 1 lower rad hose

1 rad cap

1. plastic intake housing

I will give you five reasons

1)AWD (Great in any weather)

2)Better Price

3)Class leading Safety techs

4)Better driving Dynamics.

5)Heated Rear Seats

6)Better visibility

7)Better resale value

8)Wider pass through when rear seats are folded

9)6:4 split folding reat seats vs one whole piece with Accord

10)Flat engine(less vibration, lower center of gravity)

11)Pedal Shift

12)Eyesight is by far superior to accord's radar system

Sorry I don't know how to count five

I have lived in either MN or ND for my whole life. I have owned 3 Accords before my current Legacy GT.

I wouldn't buy the Legacy over the Accord just for the AWD. Throw a set of good winter tires on the Accord and you would be just fine. If you actually prefer the looks of the Legacy (I don't), or the features, seat heaters, etc.. then go for the Legacy.

The Accord is a very good car. It makes the C&D 10 Best yearly and gets good reviews and is often praised for being a family car that is still fun to drive.

Personally, I think that Subaru has really capitalized on peoples fear of driving in winter. Intentionally or not, I don't know. My joy for winter driving left me praying for snow when I had a 5spd Accord w/Blizzaks parked in the driveway.

Just saying don't base the purchase on AWD alone. So many times I have looked out my window and thought, yay snow, only to get on the roads and they are already clear. Salt and snow tires work wonders.

I have lived in either MN or ND for my whole life. I have owned 3 Accords before my current Legacy GT.

I wouldn't buy the Legacy over the Accord just for the AWD. Throw a set of good winter tires on the Accord and you would be just fine. If you actually prefer the looks of the Legacy (I don't), or the features, seat heaters, etc.. then go for the Legacy.

The Accord is a very good car. It makes the C&D 10 Best yearly and gets good reviews and is often praised for being a family car that is still fun to drive.

Personally, I think that Subaru has really capitalized on peoples fear of driving in winter. Intentionally or not, I don't know. My joy for winter driving left me praying for snow when I had a 5spd Accord w/Blizzaks parked in the driveway.

Just saying don't base the purchase on AWD alone. So many times I have looked out my window and thought, yay snow, only to get on the roads and they are already clear. Salt and snow tires work wonders.

I agree with Yeti for Legacys prior to 2015. 6th Gen Legacy is different. I did not buy 2015 Legacy just because it had AWD

Yeti, do you have snow tires on your LGT?

I have owned 4 cars with snows tires on them. 1 RWD, 2 FWD, and my AWD Subaru. (My wife has 3 fwd cars as well with snow tires, but she also avoid driving I the snow unless she has to). I agree that snow tires on FWD make a huge difference but I still prefer awd with snow tires. It is very likely that I will continue to buy AWD for the winter driving.

Yeti, do you have snow tires on your LGT?

I have owned 4 cars with snows tires on them. 1 RWD, 2 FWD, and my AWD Subaru. (My wife has 3 fwd cars as well with snow tires, but she also avoid driving I the snow unless she has to). I agree that snow tires on FWD make a huge difference but I still prefer awd with snow tires. It is very likely that I will continue to buy AWD for the winter driving.

Absolutely. We live on a pretty significant hill here in the (current) snow capital of the nation. Our previous FWD cars, even with snow tires, would struggle to climb up it, sometimes to the point where we'd have to back all the down and try it again with more speed, or pick a different street (which is still an up-hill drive) but with slightly different crests. AWD is half the reason why we now own two Subarus, which treats these hills like they're level.

The only thing that can stop a good AWD vehicle with good snow tires is ground clearance.

I do have snow tires on my LGT. I have had snow tires on all of my past cars, and will have them on all of my future cars. Just a good common sense thing to do when you live in MN.

The LGT is an absolute blast to drive in the winter with snow tires. I just wish they wouldn't do such a good job a clearing the snow here sometimes.

The Manual and Turbo in a midsize car brought me over to Subaru from Honda. They killed that now. So I could easily see myself going back to Honda with my next car.

Both Accords and Legacys are nice cars and buying either one would not be a bad decision. I haven't driven either of the current models so I can't compare them. I have driven both previous models of the Accord and Legacy, and besides the '10-'12 LGT, I would personally buy the Accord.

On a side note: I would bet that for most people driving "AWD" cars where the AWD doesn't kick in until the fronts slip (not Subarus obviously), they are probably only in AWD mode a very very small percentage of the time. I drive a Ford Explorer for work and it has a handy dandy screen that shows the status of the AWD. It is in FWD mode 99.9% of the time. If I do hit a slick spot and the rears kick in, the fronts have usually pulled me through the trouble spot by the time the rears do anything. If it had snow tires, I could probably drive it and not use the rears at all unless I wanted to go off road... Just a side note on the FWD based (Ford) AWD. The Subaru AWD is obviously very different and very nice.

The LGT is an absolute blast to drive in the winter with snow tires. I just wish they wouldn't do such a good job a clearing the snow here sometimes.

The Manual and Turbo in a midsize car brought me over to Subaru from Honda. They killed that now. So I could easily see myself going back to Honda with my next car.

Ahh ok, that makes sense. I interpreted your last post as you didn't think AWD was worthwhile. I know a few people who think because they have an awd car that they don't need snow tires. (I also know a few people with fwd cars and all season tires complain about how terrible their cars is in the snow.)

I am still holding out hope that Subaru brings back a turbo Legacy model; a 6MT LGT would be awesome. If it does not happen my fall back plan is WRX, they are similar size to the 4th Gen Legacy.

I am still holding out hope that Subaru brings back a turbo Legacy model; a 6MT LGT would be awesome.

Agreed. I am hoping for a revival of the LGT too. Not holding my breath though. I was always hoping that Honda would bring over the Accord SiR's or Type R's that other parts of the world get, but that never happened either.

If you street park like myself, AWD ALL DAY EVERYDAY.

I mean realistically I only need AWD few times a year (this year is an exception) and I tell myself I don't (mpg)...

but all it takes is just one FWD car trying so hard to park or to leave.

I mean people living in an apartment are shoveling the little ice and snow in from of their car...

If you street park, that should be the ONLY reason you need.

Everyone is shocked and in awe then I park or pull out after being shoveled in.

I don't need to give you 5 reasons. It is simply a better built vehicle. If you cant get around in a fwd car on the snow you shouldn't be on the road anyway.

This too!

Hondas are better built, cheaper to drive, cheaper to maintain, cheaper to repair and keep their value better than most Subarus.

Now I love my Legacy but if you live outside a snow heavy area Honda is the logical choice if you live outside those areas and venture off road to ski/hike/bike/relax like I do you can't beat a OBXT or LGT with a rack :lol:

Buying for long term low cost ownership = Not Subaru

Buying for fun and decent longevity = Subaru

Buying for WOW! = Turbo Subaru

Looking to over pay for a car? = STi

I'm confused, been with accord for several years now

After I moved from the south NC to MN where I stay now and have been having severe winter weather and a lot of snow and extremely severe cold weather I need a car to make sure my family specially kids have a heater in the back seat and the Accords don't seem to have that feature, at least the Accord LX that I have doesn't have a heater in the rear seat

I want at least 5 reasons why I should buy a Legacy over an Accord

(1) Value for price paid

(2) Infotainment center

(3) Much quieter ride

(4) AWD if you live in a snowy area

(5) Resale value

This list comes from a long-time Honda Accord owner (and other Hondas). Perhaps unlike others who have posted, I recently did test drives of both the current generations of the Accord and the Legacy. Not only did the Legacy outperform the Accord in almost every way (not as quick from a dead stop), but what struck me the most was how much less noise there was in the Legacy. Further, I found the headroom in the new Accord had been compromised over past models. I've never had an issue with headroom in Accords, but this year's model in particular caused me to have to lean slightly right (to where the moonroof provides more space) in order not to hunch down. No such issue with the Legacy. Reliability for both is quite good, so that's a wash. Obviously, AWD isn't a necessity in snow, but it does make life a bit simpler and less stressful. ;)

Archived