LegacyGT.com

Should I buy a (2015) Legacy or an Accord

treepalmer

where I am the accords sell for more but the V6 cars are generally worth LESS than the I4 accords with similar mileage due to GLASS transmissions up to 2007 when the unit was significantly updated. If you think a $3k head gasket job is expensive, that's nothing compared to a $5K transmission (both dealer costs) that a V6 accord will run you if it craps on its self.

If you think for one minute that Honda builds better cars, may I suggest a visit to any one of the following sites

Acurazine.com

Honda-tech.com

Hondaaccordforums.com

Imagine buying an Accord and having to take it in multiple times due to the transmissions going out in as little as 13K miles due to 3rd gear melt down and the fix was not widely available until 2008 redesign...

Ask me how many times my 02 CL-S has a transmission oil change during the 138K I have owned it... every other oil change or 14K miles so that means no less than 9 times.

By comparison the Subaru has been in for engine work once and that I choose to do when I started noticing seepage around the seams on the block as it already had piston slap so I made a choice to redo the entire motor with updated pistons to solve the issue. The rest was maintenance due to normal wear.

my cars are 14 and 12 years old respectively and the Subaru has less rust, better looking rims (the clear coat is still pristine on the snowflakes)

Given the choice of buying another Honda I passed because their quality took A SERIOUS turn for the worse in 1998 when they started to use more domestic content in their Accords like Dephi alternators, yep I had to replace one on my 98 accord at 93K miles and that was right after I had the transmission redone at 89K miles...

Now the accords do not have what made them so special to drive... a double wishbone suspension up front...

There are bad apples in every bunch. Don't get me started on our oil burner '13 Forester(now traded in for a CX-5). I am a member of Honda-tech.com. I have heard of issues especially with the auto tranny. I have had extremely good experiences with Accords. I have had three accords, all 4cyl, (2 MTs and 1 auto). The biggest expense that I ever had with them was the timing belts every 100k. Other than that, just basic maintenance.

Another reason to get an Accord: You can still get them with three pedals. You can even get a MT with a V6 if you go for the two door flavor.

my point was Honda has come down a long way in what they offered before and what they call an Accord now

My first Honda

1994 Accord 208K 22 YEARS of service no major issues between me and my friend

1998 Accord bought it busted at 87K dropped in a new trans 4 separate failures in 11K miles, 93K alternator WTF? really? gone by 100K miles

2002 Acura CL type S - bought it at 37K, trans out at 71K, wheel bearing out at 90K, 4th gear pressure switch on replacement transmission done by 60K still got it, and I have had to put a fair amount of $$$ into it for the 10 years that I have had it

Friend's 2003 Civic EX 1.7L 182K and it appears that the head gasket is done. talked to Honda Dealer and they said KNOWN ISSUE WITH THIS MOTOR. again WTF? left front wheel bearing out, left front caliper frozen in guide pin....

That's not bad apples, that's a serious decline in quality...and it continues...

New gen RDX has issues with rear suspension, AWD pumps, V6 variable cylinder management, and drive shafts that were improperly assembled...

TLX has some serious teething issues with the transmissions and some models are subject to a recall only months after being released.

BTW, due to ever tightening emissions standards, the manual is going the way of the dodo bird... each year fewer and fewer cars come with one....

Given the choice of buying another Honda I passed because their quality took A SERIOUS turn for the worse in 1998 when they started to use more domestic content in their Accords like Dephi alternators, yep I had to replace one on my 98 accord at 93K miles and that was right after I had the transmission redone at 89K miles...

Now the accords do not have what made them so special to drive... a double wishbone suspension up front...

I'd say, in general, when the 1996 models started to roll out. Plenty of 92-95 Civics and 90-97 Accords on the road and surprisingly, still expensive given the age and mileage on most of them.

That's not limited to Accords; Honda/Acura went that route on many, if not all, of their newer cars. When the DC5 Integra-R/RSX with struts debuted, they(Best Motoring) compared it to the older DC2 that had double-wishbone. The DC2 actually handled better while the DC5 had more power.

Personally, I'd take the Legacy. It's a much better value; it's similarly priced, similar MPG(combined with a larger tank, more range), you get better trunk space(if that's important to you), and benefits of AWD without taking a hit on MPG.

Archived