LegacyGT.com

50k orig miles and head gasket issues

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that was the culprit the 1st time I saw the bubbles. Anyhow I checked a second time and saw no bubbles but could've sworn I saw faint wispy white-ish smoke in the coolant overflow tank. Checked again today after a 2 hour roundtrip and no bubbles at all. Maybe it was just a bit of air trapped in the system but I'm not fully convinced yet.

Other than that the dealer did nice work. Replaced the banjo bolt (or so they said) and did a trans flush/TCU relearn. 2nd to 3rd shift shock is gone.

I'll check for bubbles again throughout the next week.

If there were another way for air to be entering your cooling system, other than the combustion chambers (which was, or, would have been, either way, ameliorated with a new HG), your water pump spinning too fast could cause cavitation, which would result in the air bubbles you were seeing. So far, I've never heard of it, but, mostly because we recommend the OEM water pumps over anything else. (Says the guy running a Bosch. :rolleyes: )

If there were another way for air to be entering your cooling system, other than the combustion chambers (which was, or, would have been, either way, ameliorated with a new HG), your water pump spinning too fast could cause cavitation, which would result in the air bubbles you were seeing. So far, I've never heard of it, but, mostly because we recommend the OEM water pumps over anything else. (Says the guy running a Bosch. :rolleyes: )

ah, gotcha. yes that would be odd, but seeing as how my 50k mile LGT had a head gasket leak nothing surprises me anymore!

PS: i can hear my wheel bearings humming already :(

• 2 weeks later...
3 weeks after my HG job and I noticed my coolant looking a little murky in the overflow tank. Poured most of it out and found this (see pic- the last few drops of coolant in my overflow tank, in a ziploc for viewing ease). My overflow tank has a light layer of this muddy looking gunk. Cause for concern?

20150323_181547.thumb.jpg.d658663e531ca36eafbe274de0c39763.jpg

to add; I've always had a little bit of this gunk in my overflow tank , it doesn't look (or feel) like oil. could it just be more gunk from all the engine work i had done ? HG job, coolant flush, heads machined, etc

Has your coolant fluie level become stabile? Any overheating?

I'd assume its leftover gunk, and continue to check if it begins accumulating again.

coolant fluid level is impressively stable. just at the "low" line when the engine is cold and just at the "full" line when the engine is warm, like clockwork. no overheating or other signs of a crappy HG job, i check it 5x per week lol

• 4 weeks later...
an update to this old thread- still seeing gunk in the coolant reservoir after refilling *just* the reservoir with new coolant. even cleaned the reservoir tank before refilling and it's dirty again... should i go back to the dealer and request a coolant flush?

went back to dealer and they said this is normal after such extensive engine work. it is not oil in the coolant, just engine gunk

also, after driving 1 hr on the highway, i parked on an incline and checked my coolant reservoir and saw a few bubbles...uh oh. but I've checked multiple times since then and haven't seen a single bubble...should i be worried? i know for a fact my cooling system has been burped correctly...no temp issues to date

• 8 months later...
went back to dealer and they said this is normal after such extensive engine work. it is not oil in the coolant, just engine gunk

also, after driving 1 hr on the highway, i parked on an incline and checked my coolant reservoir and saw a few bubbles...uh oh. but I've checked multiple times since then and haven't seen a single bubble...should i be worried? i know for a fact my cooling system has been burped correctly...no temp issues to date

this is a HG failure.

Check your ATF for signs of cloudiness. There's an outside chance the cooler circuit in the radiator fluid is failing, allowing ATF to contaminate your coolant.

The bad news then would be that water will kill your trans in short order as the glue that holds the friction material to the clutch plates is water-soluble.

EDIT: Oh wait, you're the same guy who is running around with IAM below 1.00, with bad gas in the tank, going 'full woot' to test it aren't you? Maybe this isn't the right car for you.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Wow, haven't seen this thread in a while...

In reference to my head gasket issue…. I have had no temp fluctuations, no coolant level fluctuations, no additional gunk showing up in coolant (still a little bit at the bottom of the reservoir tank). The car feels fine to me

In reference to the “car not being for me” comment, my DAM is back to 1 and the only knock I see is occasionally while cruising at low rpm

Archived