LegacyGT.com

50k orig miles and head gasket issues

got quoted $1,300 by a reputable shop WITH a loaner car but WITHOUT timing belt/ water pump...do you guys recommend i get T belt and water pump done ?

also have there been ANY instances of 08's having the banjo bolt issue? one shop told me 08's can still have it, a small % of them at least

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
got quoted $1,300 by a reputable shop WITH a loaner car but WITHOUT timing belt/ water pump...do you guys recommend i get T belt and water pump done ?

also have there been ANY instances of 08's having the banjo bolt issue? one shop told me 08's can still have it, a small % of them at least

ask them how much more to do those 2 things? Cause its trivial to do when then heads are coming off. By trivial, I mean the timing belt and several pulleys are already off. Water pump is another 6 bolts or so.

Get the TCK328 from Amazon. It's less than $150. Get the OEM water pump and t-stat, it's good insurance. Again, highly recommend adding the ARP head studs ($185) and the TiC FU bolts. ($44) Bling, but nice and reusable part will be the Lic Motorsports aluminum half-moons ($55).

Don't be a bitch about the coolant- Let 'em put in whatever color works.

ask them how much more to do those 2 things? Cause its trivial to do when then heads are coming off. By trivial, I mean the timing belt and several pulleys are already off. Water pump is another 6 bolts or so.

interestingly enough they want to charge $600 more for t belt/ water pump...talk them down?

Get the TCK328 from Amazon. It's less than $150. Get the OEM water pump and t-stat, it's good insurance. Again, highly recommend adding the ARP head studs ($185) and the TiC FU bolts. ($44) Bling, but nice and reusable part will be the Lic Motorsports aluminum half-moons ($55).

Don't be a bitch about the coolant- Let 'em put in whatever color works.

i'll do all of this except the half-moons and not be a bitch about the coolant , given that they write down what brand/type used

Should I bring my own t belt and water pump?

If they'll let you, absolutely! There's nothing wrong with saving a few bucks. Just like with all things bought and sold, there's markup. If your shop buys it for you, they kinda have to mark it up. If you buy it ( for instance, from amazon, which is likely cheaper than they can buy it from their distributor), there's one less level of markup.

I'm usually all for what you're talking about until you pay for a part that fails when its installed.

I personally bought and had a wheel bearing installed recently and it was bad. Gonna prob have to pay twice for the work now, although my mech will cut me a break I'm sure.

Doubt a dealership will install parts you bring in, they sure as hell won't warranty the work.

Yes.

thanks, i'll get them. i found a place about 1 hour away that specializes in Subaru HG jobs (although mostly on non-turbos), is $100-200 cheaper than the dealership, will machine the heads AND has old Subaru loaner cars

thanks, i'll get them. i found a place about 1 hour away that specializes in Subaru HG jobs (although mostly on non-turbos), is $100-200 cheaper than the dealership, will machine the heads AND has old Subaru loaner cars

Thing about this is -- other than the HCs in the coolant, you can ride on it for awhile if you'd like to gather your parts and money. Don't forget, I drove on a blown HG just like yours for over a year. It's not fun, but, you can still get back and forth to work and such. (Unless you live in an area where you're forced to take the freeways everywhere)

Thing about this is -- other than the HCs in the coolant, you can ride on it for awhile if you'd like to gather your parts and money. Don't forget, I drove on a blown HG just like yours for over a year. It's not fun, but, you can still get back and forth to work and such. (Unless you live in an area where you're forced to take the freeways everywhere)

unfortunately i do have to take the highway daily, and the exit from work is a straight shot from the parking lot to the highway that can push the car hard some days. i'll ride it out for another week or two and then get this done

unfortunately i do have to take the highway daily, and the exit from work is a straight shot from the parking lot to the highway that can push the car hard some days.So I accelerate to 80 as soon as I possibly can. i'll ride it out for another week or two and then get this done

Fify. :lol:

ARP head studs for sure......I have never seen an OE water pump fail on an LGT. I have replaced two gates pumps at around 130-150,000 miles which were installed @ 100K timing belt interval.

If you're going to change it go with an OE pump. Personally I'd leave it alone if there is no weepage and the bearing feels smooth.

TiC cam bolts come from Turninconcepts.com (TiC). They're named the FU cam bolts. You need the single AVCS kit. It'll be two with holes, and two without. $40-ish.

See Amazon for the ARP 260-4701 head studs. $185 is the best price I've found on 'em.

something came to me today:

when i first bought my car i stupidly took it to Big O Tires for an oil cooler line repair. they drained / refilled the coolant and didn't burp it correctly, which resulted in the car ALMOST overheating as i drove off. i brought it back immediately and they opened the radiator cap when it was still hot, topped it off and then took it for a test drive. they did this 3 more times in an effort to burp the system.

is it possible that this could have resulted in my small HG leak?

Suby shops I have talked said that one overheating is sometimes enough.

i've heard the same. it didn't overheat in my possession, but when their idiot mechanic took it out for a spin each time and didn't come back for a while...it could have overheated

Yeah, that could do it. I stupidly did a similar thing in my old 2.5i. Shortly after the hgs failed. I did em myself, so it wasn't a huge deal, but a bit premature at around 80k. 50k is waaaayyyyyyy premature for an lgt. Besides the fact that the turbo motor uses multi layer steel gaskets the tend not to fail anyhow. And tris, remember how you had to machine your heads? Yeah that's probably because you drove with bad headgaskets for a year. I would not recommend driving with bad head gaskets. And check the heads before machining, they may not need it.

Yeah, that could do it. I stupidly did a similar thing in my old 2.5i. Shortly after the hgs failed. I did em myself, so it wasn't a huge deal, but a bit premature at around 80k. 50k is waaaayyyyyyy premature for an lgt. Besides the fact that the turbo motor uses multi layer steel gaskets the tend not to fail anyhow. And tris, remember how you had to machine your heads? Yeah that's probably because you drove with bad headgaskets for a year. I would not recommend driving with bad head gaskets. And check the heads before machining, they may not need it.

No, that's not why at all. It's because that's what you do when you take the heads off.

Archived