LegacyGT.com

50k orig miles and head gasket issues

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just some additional thoughts. You mentioned that your old coolant was orange.. When I think of orange coolant, I think of dex-cool. Maybe other coolants these days are orange, I'm not sure. But there's a lot of people out there that say dex-cool destroys gaskets, especially when the coolant is exposed to air, which causes dex-cool to become more acidic. Just something else that might've contributed to the failure.

Ok guys, something happened today that seems too good to be true;

the Subaru dealership that did the hydrocarbon test to confirm my HG issue mentioned something at the time about getting with their service manager and seeing if they'd go 50/50 on cost due to it being a 50k mile, 1 -owner car

today they called me and offered to do the HG, send the heads off to be machined, AND replace timing belt for $650, "as if it were under warranty"

it just seems too good to be true.

what questions should i ask them to make sure i'm not getting taken??

Its like I said, the car is past 6 years, but not by much and with only 50k miles its not unreasonable for them to help you out.

I tried to get warranty coverage on my 04 STi back in 2011, but was pretty much denied bc they had never seen the car there before. Offered me 20% off my bill, but I said no thanks anyway.

I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. I'm sure they'll warranty the work to some degree too.

Ok guys, something happened today that seems too good to be true;

today they called me and offered to do the HG, send the heads off to be machined, AND replace timing belt for $650, "as if it were under warranty"

it just seems too good to be true.

what questions should i ask them to make sure i'm not getting taken??

Sounds like plain ol' good service to me. Maybe they realized it's worth it to them to retain a customer and spread good word of mouth. They're probably charging you for parts and machining costs.

I wouldn't look a gift-horse in the mouth on this one... just make sure it's running properly after the work is done. If so, say thank you, and post a review or something.

Just don't take the car to Big Oops again :lol:

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

That is really good news. Earlier I almost reiterated what BoozeRS said previously, to have Subaru do the job and hope that SOA will cover some of the job due to the low miles.

As far as what questions to ask, I really can't help you there. All I can say is that I would take that deal and run with it. I don't think they're taking you for a ride, and I paid twice they amount for Subaru to do my timing belt job alone.

I think Subaru does a 1yr warranty on their parts and labor, but if something does go wrong down the road I'm sure they'll work with you.

Thanks guys. I might ask for a copy of the receipt from the machining shop (to make sure the heads DO get machined) but that's it. I'll call them tomorrow and see what's up.

If this is as they say it is, and they do the job right, I owe Subaru a serious thank you

Dude. Your car with 50k miles needs a serious motor repair. You got it backwards, they owe you.

You got a good dealership working with you, which is rare. Be grateful and give them props when its all done.

I agree with above, they clearly don't want another Adventure Subaru situation on their hands. Luckily the 2 Ganley dealerships are closer so I never have to deal with that dealerwship. Only dealer I really trusted is the one in Cherry Hill, NJ but i'm too far away from them now than when I was in VA.

called this morning and sure enough, here is the deal:

-timing belt

-HG repair

-will send the heads off to be machined

-will let me use my ARP studs/ TiC bolts

-will warranty their work for 1 year

$650 total

looks like my FU bolts are being delayed delivery. USPS showed it should have delivered 2/23, and they have no idea where the package is. we have started a case, but my repair is scheduled for 3/02...how crucial is it that we get these on there?

the ARP studs are already in my possession

FU bolts did NOT (lost in mail, got a refund)

ARP studs did arrive, left them in the passenger seat and let the dealer know

estimated time to completion about 1 week, will drive the car and check all fluids as soon as i get it back. any other key areas i should check to ensure they did a good job?

added this to HG job:

trans fluid flush w/ TCU relearn

timing belt

tensioners/pulleys if needed

banjo bolt inspection

also told them to NOT wash my car haha :)

Prediction: Head studs will still be on the seat when you pickup the car. :lol:

Ask for the headbolts from your car. Just keep an eye on the fluids and you'll be fine.

hahaha let's hope not. i'll call them and kindly remind them...and ask for my head bolts :lol:

Archived