LegacyGT.com

STi Catless Uppipe Install

Hi all, tried the exhaust forum and got no replies. Woo

Anyway, I'm going to swap my up pipe for a catless one when I replace my VF40. Probably gonna go the cheap route with an STi up pipe, already found a seller on NASIOC. Unless someone can give me a damn good reason to shell out 235 plus shipping for the GrimmSpeed. What should I look out for with this used up pipe?

Are there certain years of STi this needs to come off of? I've heard basically anything works, but don't have any solid confirmation.

Thanks

Hi all, tried the exhaust forum and got no replies. Woo

Anyway, I'm going to swap my up pipe for a catless one when I replace my VF40. Probably gonna go the cheap route with an STi up pipe, already found a seller on NASIOC. Unless someone can give me a damn good reason to shell out 235 plus shipping for the GrimmSpeed. What should I look out for with this used up pipe?

Are there certain years of STi this needs to come off of? I've heard basically anything works, but don't have any solid confirmation.

Thanks

07+ STi this is posted somewhere on this forum. search postes by MrTris he is s Jedi at this stuff with these cars. I just picked mine up locally.

Also, check out the For Sale threads: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-colorado-sti-stock-uppipe-236747.html

Invidia UPs are nice as well and can be had for less than $150. MrTris recommends an 07+ STI UP: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-gt-owner-235847.html

I don't know what to do anymore :spin: I just know I want to do this at the same time I pull my VF40. I suppose my question to that is, WHY the 07 and up? Calling Tris.

All USDM STi's had catless uppipes, so 02-15 should do. You can also get catless uppipes from 07+ LGT, 06+ WRX, 06+ FXT.

Thanks for confirming this.

I don't know what to do anymore :spin: I just know I want to do this at the same time I pull my VF40. I suppose my question to that is, WHY the 07 and up? Calling Tris.

the 07+ guys usually have the up pipe's as "take offs" and they can be had for cheap, average is $50 but $75 is the max you should pay for one. I have read this in one of his posts.

• 2 years later...
You are fine with the STI uppipe. Jacking the engine on just the passenger side makes this whole process so much easier. There is just not a lot of room to maneuver that uppipe out with the heat shields and all. I tried it without jacking up the engine and that was a frustrating experience. I guess I don't have enough finesse. ;)

At 15:40, he mentions that he had to bend the heat shield mounting points to make it work. Bottom line is, you can spend an hour dicking with forcing the pipes out & in, or you can spend 3 minutes loosening & re-tightening the 2 engine mount nuts. With those loose, I just lifted the mount 1/2" with a prybar and the old pipe literally fell out.

I see no real reason to buy a fancy up pipe over an STI. Im running an STI up pipe and a VF52 making 314HP, no issues. Plus when it goes to get inspected it all looks factory. No one is going to know there is a cat missing.

I guess these guys here knew 05 & 06 had one. Some shops would turn down any mid pipe/axle back exhaust work because of it. I literally had to drive to another county that didn't care/test to get minor stuff done like resonators. End result I don't have the car registered in Ohio because of this. Folks kept saying "Go to station XYZ on a Tuesday when my guy works" but that was sketch and said guy was not there that Tuesday.

I guess these guys here knew 05 & 06 had one. Some shops would turn down any mid pipe/axle back exhaust work because of it. I literally had to drive to another county that didn't care/test to get minor stuff done like resonators. End result I don't have the car registered in Ohio because of this. Folks kept saying "Go to station XYZ on a Tuesday when my guy works" but that was sketch and said guy was not there that Tuesday.

That's a downpipe discussion. Emissions stations have no clue about the UP.

P.S. Ohio sucks.

I'm probably one of the few who developed a crack in their STi UP (the weld in the flex joint cracked) and had to replace it with an aftermarket one. Not a common occurrence, but just an FYI.

Any of the catless UP will give you pretty much the same results.

I had the same issue with mine failing at the flex joint earlier this year. One of the main reasons I went with an oem pipe was to avoid a lot of the weld breaking issues people have with aftermarket UP pipes and it happened anyway! I don't drive my car consistently and I think moisture was getting trapped under the heat shield which caused it to rust. Even still I replaced it with another sti UP.

I see no real reason to buy a fancy up pipe over an STI. Im running an STI up pipe and a VF52 making 314HP, no issues. Plus when it goes to get inspected it all looks factory. No one is going to know there is a cat missing.

I've used both the OEM STi pipe and aftermarket pipes on my Subarus, each has its benefits. But the reasons to go with an aftermarket pipe are not insignificant.

a) the OEM pipe tends to fail at the flex joint, as mentioned

b) aftermarket pipes of stock diameter are generally smoother and offer better flow, and therefore better spool than OEM

c) some aftermarket pipes offer a "neck down" design that increases exhaust gas velocity and again may offer better spool

d) aftermarket pipes that are larger than stock offer more peak power potential, at the expense of spool

If you want to maximize your setup, the extra few bucks for an aftermarket pipe may be worth it. When people spend big money on mufflers that offer no gain, why skimp on an UP, even if the gains are minimal? Not much price difference between used OEM and used aftermarket.

Of course, if you want to keep it looking stock, the OEM pipe is the way to go.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Archived