LegacyGT.com

Oil Change and Tire Rotate $95.95

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go to Walmart Tire/Oil Center. Its like $1.50 per tire to rotate and you can get your oil changed for about $20 for regular oil(of your choice). And its $35 for full synthetic. Including filter too.

Rotation vs Rotate/balance is a big difference. Usually the dealer will charge about $40 to balance and rotate the tires. If you then added on a $30 oil change (go high there with the price), it would run you about $70. Then, you have to added the hazardous waste changes and you are in the $80 or $90 range.

As for going to Walmart for an oil change and rotation, good luck! :rolleyes: The first (and only) time I went to Walmart (one of my past cars) for an oil change and rotation, they installed the wrong oil type (the sticker stuck on the inside window gave it away luckly) and warped one of my front rotors. Went back, they fixed the oil, but denied warping rotor.

You get what you pay for!

I do my oil changes, brakes, etc., but when I need a lift to do something or don't have the tools, I go to the dealer. You save money in the long run.

-S

Why do the tires need to be balanced every time they are rotated? A simple bolt-off, bolt-on rotation shouldn't be more than $30, if you don't want to do it yourself. I'd even trust Wal-Mart to do it (the rotation, not the oil change), or any quick-lube place that has a torque wrench.

My dealer charges something like $22 for an oil change, considerably less than I used to pay for my A4. As for the rotation, I figure if they do it when I swap to winter tires and back again every year, that will be often enough.

That's why I do almost all of my own work.

I see the people who work for the wages wal-mart pays. That is fine for stocking shelves, but I am not letting them near the hood release on my cars. Low wages attract low-wage-earners.

I don't naturally trust over-priced mechanics, either. They are little better, because they know they can charge an arm and a leg to most of the motoring public, with little recourse for the customer. They charge what they want, and the only thing keeping them honest is their personal integrity. That used to be worth something, but I require more proof now-a-days.

So, I do my own work, even if I am not ultra-confident, I know enough about how things work to know what to expect. I know I won't slop through things, and ignore problems. And I usually learn something new every time I try a new procedure.

Unfortunately, cash usually ends up being the limiting factor. I'd love to do brake upgrades while doing the brake maintenance, and so on; but it isn't feasible, and I am trying to save for a Legacy.

i dont get it guys. dont all of us get coupon from the mail from subaru??? a 24.95 (sometimes 29.95) oil change and free tire rotation???? it also comes with 10% off any service coupon???

i mean, i guess im luckier because we used to have a forester, and the coupons for it still comes in the mail.

I buy the oil and filter and hand them to wife to take the to a place that charges 9.95 on ladies wednesdays.

They probably figure they can sell women on a lot of other stuff they don't really need: "When was the last time you had the fluid changed in your flux capacitor? If you can't remember doing it, we should probably do it today. It's only $30, but if you let it go too long, it's a $3,000 job."

Thanks for the comments.

FWIW, I am not new to Subaru. The 05 GT is my 5th. My wife has an Outback wagon, which is used for weekend errands and ski trips. I drive a lot of miles - especially to and from work, and treat maintenance as a fact of life.

I am fully capable of doing my own maintenance, but chose to spend my limited home time with my son. Walmart or Jiffy Lube??? Not in this life!

What I learned yesterday is that there are 2 types of dealers. The one near my home gives good service with decent prices, and the one near my work in EXETER, NH gives so-so service and rapes your wallet.

I did get the oil change coupon. $23.95 for the oil change. Where I went wrong was having the tires rotated and balanced. I am accustomed to paying $20-$29 at my usual dealer. Didn't think twice until those bastards at EXETER SUBARU handed me the bill, and a totally lame-ass excuse that the shop manual specs 1 hour for tire rotation and balance. $70.00 + $2.00 for supplies.

EXETER SUBARU has now lost my business.

At the very least a positive that has come out of this is always ask about price before doing the work at any shop unless you obviously know them.

The only thing I do not enjoy there is that they like most shops independant or dealers, they over prescribe service. I have to resort to pulling out the maintenance schedule and asking for what is in the manual. For example who changes their fuel filter every 15k miles? I never changed it on my Honda (per manual) and never had an issue in its 9 years/220,000 miles.

I reported a few weeks ago about my "New Customer Appreciation Night" visit to Subuaru of Gwinnett here near Atlanta, GA. First, they gave me a free oil change coupon that I haven't used yet (car has just about 2K miles - picked it up July 9). The maintenance manager warned us about taking our Scoobies to quick change places because "many of these untrained technicians" mistake the oil drain plug for the transmission fluid plug, resulting in horror stories. For added emphasis, he pointed to a couple "body bags" during our shop tour, which were boxes containing engines that were there as a result of visits to Jiffy Lube and the like.

I used to do my own oil changes for years, but never had issues at Jiffy Lube for the past 12. We'll see. Clipping coupons, you can get an oil change for about $20 for dino, about $65-70 for synth. But when when you're fastidious about your car as most of you seem to be, do what feels right, but don't bend over!

I noticed that when my dealer rotated and balanced my tires - the pressures were dropperfrom from 37 front/35 rear to 29 front/32 rear - obviously I noticed right away the degraded ride. But at least it was all free - I got my car with the free maintience. The quality of the service isn't the greatest, but then again I don't care if they don't use the highest quality stuff either - the car is a lease and in less than 3 years the car becomes their problem to deal with.

Guess what? I figured that the tire pressures are now f***ed up on mine. I could tell as soon as I hit the highway last night. Although not as bad as when I got the car delivered with 40+ psi after the dealer did the PDI.

Since you paid $96, I would call complaining that the pressures are off - and for the price that is unacceptable. I would call, and also write a letter to both the service manager and CC SOA on the e-mail. SOA recommends that the tires pressures are kept at 35psi for the front and 33 for the rear. Mine was free so I could just gripe about it on here, but since you paid like $96 for it - I would be complaining to everyone I can possibly complain to at both the dealership and SOA. That's completely unacceptable and should not be.

I never go to dealerships for anything I can't do or attempt to do. Thanks to the vacation pics. But if I need an ECu worked on that's that only place I can bring it to.:( I'm in the bent over position but if they're going to replace I made a note of it to ask for it back and I wrote down the serial numbers or whatever numbers on it just in case they don't actually replace it. The assistant service mananger seems to be a grease ball from the Sopranos. I guess customer service skills isn't a quality they look for. As soon as you mention not getting the work done or going somewhere else they're always quick to point out labor to put it back together.

Archived