LegacyGT.com

4th Gen Legacy Aftermarket Grilles

Did you paint yours or leave it as the galvanized metal it comes as?

Painted when I got the car from original owner here, then repainted a few more times with rustoleum before I gave up and went eBay overlay. My commutes involved road salt from Ohio, PA, and NJ as I drove back and forth the turnpike when I lived here and was stationed on Ft Dix.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that just the regular old sticky spec b badge up front? I have a set lying around and think that looks dope haha

Yes it is. Had to epoxy it on though because the sticky part wasn't good enough to stick to the grill. Maybe it was but I didn't want to chance it :lol:

I tried the Home Depot mesh onto a "gutted" OEM grille. 1.5 hours later and a disfigured mess of a sheet of mesh, I realized I have no fab skills, and I have better things to do with my time (like my day job :-), and ordered the Avo, thinking I was done. I may still try to hack up the Avo, since I essentially got it "for free".

Or does someone want a brand new Avo for $99 + shipping?

Send me your gutted one or the other one and I will do it for you :)

Side note, are you guys not able to find the black mesh? Mine was already black when I bought it from HD.

Yes it is. Had to epoxy it on though because the sticky part wasn't good enough to stick to the grill. Maybe it was but I didn't want to chance it :lol:

Side note, are you guys not able to find the black mesh? Mine was already black when I bought it from HD.

It's comes in silver and black

You have PM.

I only saw silver 3-4 years ago..

On Craig's list I saw a BP wagon for sale with a mesh grill and they said stock was included with the car sale. I emailed them asking if they would sell me either the stock or the mesh one (that was installed in the FS pics) for $50. A lowball I know but I figured they would counter. No word for 2 months and I had completely forgotten about it when they emailed back yes! They ended up trading the car in stock and kept the grill since they knew they had an offer, and as a bonus they lived 5 min away from me so pickup was super easy

Not sure if its aftermarket company or OEM+gutter guard but fitment is PERFECT

It was already sprayed flat black and I kept it like that on my BSM. I like the contrast and have other black bits on the car.

The PO said I'm the 3rd or 4th local owner that they know of so that's probly how I got it so cheap. For $50 it could not have been better.

1526346_10154213897825431_6986307388671898675_n.jpg?oh=bd16a88649939523f2d1276cfab5244d&oe=54E2E4A6

10590403_10154435226760431_2549137455584370348_n.jpg?oh=7d4a90ef85af7b6f4858c17b8c4d7d25&oe=54DE6395&__gda__=1423889856_a6964b1587dd9b56623e14805732b0ad

Yea I know that's why I was asking why people are buying the silver and then painting it black. Just didn't know if they couldn't find it.

Good info, I was making what was already created on the car when I took possession of it work. In the future I may go back that way as I'm tired of the already painted eBay insert. It was intended to be used with the cross hairs still in tact and mine were gutted for the gutter mesh.

I'm going with HD mesh but I'm keepin the the center badge and part of the cross-section chrome.

I still need to cut out the last four supports for the cross-section and slash cut feom the end of the chrome shallow to the badge deep to give it a floating/flying look.

The chrome will be black and shiny while the rest of the insert and frame will be flat black.

And there will be some sort of indirect 3k yellow or 6k white lighting as well.

While I do like the JDM/AVO look, there are too many already sporting it.

I may even take a que from the GT Mustang and install round light housings. Haven't decided 100% on that however.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/03/0de3ddfe20356b73e6b12fc1aaf2281c.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/03/93a6f4c5caaf3d07d2ee2c797e533c5d.jpg

Well today I got the new mesh fit and epoxied to the grill housing. Going to have to wait for it to warm up a bit before I paint it though...http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/04/cb0adcffea263646350ca9e47a89529a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

It is different... may not be to everyone's taste. LOL I just don't like to do what has already been done so many times, even if I like it. It's the rebel in me. LOL

I decided to keep the lower supports intact and to paint the whole assembly flat black. The only color will be the stock blue badge sans the chrome ring/frame.

The lower vertical supports won't even be noticeable after it is painted.

I will use SEM self etching black primer then coat with either a black underbody product or bedliner product... this should address all the rocks and whatnot coming its way on the freeways.

J

Anything Police Interceptor is cool. :D

Looked at a first or second gen Escape the other night in a parking lot -- also has the honeycomb grille and may be nearly identical in size, or at least, good for hacking up. Anyone used one from those?

Can this unit be fit, to fit our cars, please?

If yes, is it considered to look good, or is it a ghetto move?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/4875520597.html

Well, it doesn't get fitted, per se. You want the honeycomb mesh out of it. That's a great price for a good donor piece, too.

You'll need to dremel out your grille, then dremel out the pieces of the Crown Vic grille, and meld them together.

Archived